1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide USB LED lamp how to

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bubba8, 17 Oct 2004.

1. Bubba8

Bubba8 What's a Dremel?

I suppose you have already seen it, USB lamp. Why don´t you made your own one? It´s very simple, and the best thing is that you can choose how will it look, you can choose LEDs color and lamps color. First thing you have to do is to get up and find one of these in your wardrobe. You will also be using USB cable and some cable sleeving kit to wrap your hanger. I´ve chosen metal hanger for this mod because you can strech and you can modify it without braking it.

[​IMG]

USB is +5V, so LEDs will be in parallel. I am using 8 regular green LEDs which are 2V, but in this circuit they will be connected on +2.5V. It means that you don´t have to use any resistor. LEDs in my mouse are on +3V and they are not even warm :p So, you don´t have to worry would they explode :)

[​IMG]

Have a look at scheme. It´s very simple. Easiest way is to connect two LEDs in series first, it means +-+-, and then simply add 3 LEDs parallel to first LED and 3 LEDs parallel to second LED. When connecting them parallel + goes on + and - goes to -.

[​IMG]

But first you have to cut a board for LEDs. I have to cut it in rounded shape. The easiest way to do is my way :) First drill a hole in the center of the board and use you dremel elements for securing cutting wheels. Hold it tight and take some sanding paper. Turn your dremel on and start pushing board against sand paper. After 1-2 minutes you will be done and you will have a perfect rounded board ;-)

[​IMG]

You will have to find something that can focus your LEDs light. I took these elements from my old battery. It will be useful. Don´t forget to connect a switch.

[​IMG]

Now take your hanger and some tape. Start wraping the tape over a hanger and USB cable togetger, otherwise it would be messy.

[​IMG]

It´s boring and tape is sticky, I know :-( It took me 5 minutes to do it. After that take your cable sleeving kit and put it on. It´s so neat :) I like it already.

[​IMG]

You can see my board on the picture above. I didn´t have enough space on board so I improvised and had to connect 2 LEDs in a different way then others. But, nevermind, I´m sure you won´t have any problems with that. Almost done, now I have to put it in the old battery case.It´s finally done, and now the final product. It looks like a flower, haha :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wrote this article for my website
    Cro modders

If you like this article, please support my website and just give one click on ads and banners on my site.
    Thank you and please let me know do you like it :)

2. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Very Nice! Bravo. I thought, with only 5v and all those LEDs, that it would be dim - but it looks pretty damn bright! :thumb:

3. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Nice, Just me but couldn't you just turn on your room light.

4. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Remember that you are in modding forums...also there is nothing like the uber bright glow of LED.
    haha, i may have to make one of these for my soldering area

5. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

God knows i hafta look out fer fellow modders. I clicked every link on ur site. now, for a relevant comment: Looks great. i too was surprised it was as bright as it appears to be. Supreme job. :rock:

6. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Looks cool, but I'd stick a resistor in there. You don't want your LEDs blowing and taking your USB port with them, do you?

_C

7. Bubba8

Bubba8 What's a Dremel?

These LEDs are +2V, I have same LEDs in my mouse and they are working on +3V. In this lamp LEDs are working on +2.5 V each, so I´m not afraid.

8. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

But your not limiting the current. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the voltages add up to the supply, the only limit to current is the internal resistance of the LEDs. If it works now, then it will continue to work, but one different LED and it will smoke. I did the same with a 3.3v LED on my 3.3v line, just fizzled and died, while other people have got it to work fine.

It's just luck I suppose.

_C

9. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yes, it certainly does require a resistor in series with the LED, otherwise there is nothing to limit the current.

Have you actually measured how much current you're drawing Bubba8? Although you have LED's connected in your mouse at 3V, the mouse will have current limiting preventing damage to the LED.

10. Bubba8

Bubba8 What's a Dremel?

I measured 10mA with my multimeter
    These LEDs draw 10mA by default, they are made that way. :thumb:

11. CO$HEA

CO$HEA What's a Dremel?

it looks like a flower????

Tags: