1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Worm targets Mac's latest operating system

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 27 Oct 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ah well, it had to happen sometime (and IIRC, it isn't the first time either - It's just they're so few and far between). Looks as if the Prank-monkeys have come up with an OSX only worm, according to New Scientist:

The discovery of malicious computer code designed to attack Apple’s latest operating system has shaken Macintosh users, and bucked the trend of virus writers targeting only Microsoft software.

“I'm now actually a bit spooked,” wrote Chris Waldrip, president of the US-based Atlanta Macintosh Users Group, on the Macintouch.com website.

“Many people using Macs think malware is just a Windows problem but that’s clearly not true,” says Graham Cluley, a consultant at anti-virus software vendor Sophos.

A vulnerability was discovered in OS X in May and at that time a security expert wrote a program that exploited it as a demonstration. But the newly-discovered code is one of the first instances of code written with malicious intent.

Like many Windows viruses, the malware, called “Opener” or “Renepo” (Opener backwards), scours files on an infected computer for passwords. Any found are copied to a hidden file which is accessible to remote hackers.

It also switches off security features such as firewalls and installs key-logging software that records a user’s keystrokes, which could include credit card numbers, say anti-virus vendors Sophos and Symantec. The virus only attacks Apple’s OS X operating system.

More here

2. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Apple. Appppple's latest operating system. :D

But yes, it's only a matter of time. I can't wait to see the equivalent of a Deltree c: esque worm for OS X

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Pedant. :p

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Yeah, worms finding apples was inevitable....

I'll get me coat...

5. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

6. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

If apple get to the point when there are equal numbers of HOME computers as PCs then expect equal attention from hackers. The only reason that macs have been secure in the past is as most are in large commercial functions with good firewalls (Oh, and they're not full of bl***y holes :hehe: ).

7. GMan

GMan Minimodder

Could also be that it just took this long for Bill's crack team of hackers to pare the program down to something under a gig.........

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

As soon as Mac's or Linux becomes more popular, watch out for people exploiting their vulnerabilities.

[edit] damn just read scotty6435's post, beaten to it.

Tags: Add Tags