1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling which pump

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Link2425, 24 Oct 2004.

1. Link2425

Link2425 What's a Dremel?

i am putting together a system that is going to contain a dangerden tdx for athlon xp and a nv68. i want a pretty high rate of flow so i am using 1/2" fittings. what i wanted to know is what pump would serve this set up well?
    i have been looking at eheim because so many people say they are good, if i were to go with them would a 1048 suffice or would i need a 1250?

2. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

l30 is much less noisy and performs identically to the 1250.

Much more space saving too.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'd suggest the Laing D4, although I'd look into the C-systems CSP-750. Seems to be a lot of flow in a very small pakcage (2"/5cm cube). Nothing beats the convenience of a 12v pump.

4. Link2425

thanks for the help. now this may sound like a really stupid question but im seeing on a lot of pumps that the OD on the intake is larger than the OD on the outtake. if im using 1/2" ID tubes throughout the entire system how do i deal with the intake being bigger?

5. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

I think that is a conventional thing to do. The reason *might* be:

For outlet, you need high flow ---> small diameter
    For inlet, you want water to circulate back in without any obstacles to fill the next round --> thats why its relatively bigger than outlet.

Just a guess.

Normally both ODs of Inlet & Outlet should be the same, if not, opt for some adapters for the size you aim at.

Now is my PROBLEM :wallbash: :

I've leak tested my waterloop today and everything was fine except for the EHEIM 1250, specifically at the inlet. I've tried putting some PVC tape on it but no use. Wat should I do now? Bother with silicon grease or wat? :waah:

6. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Have you considered a Hydor L30? AFAIK it has the same flow rate as a 1250 (Don't hold me to that, it's either the 1250 or 1048) and is roughly £30. Check it out.

7. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

Link 2425,

As you are in the US you may wish to look into some of the more eXtrme pumps used.

Blueline/Panworld 30PX with 10.1 ft of head & 260gph. cost => $92.00

Or

Panworld 40PX with 13.5 ft. of head & 480gph cost => $110.00

Both can be found at:

www.premiumaquatics.com

Other eXtreme pumps by Iwaki (much more expensive than the Panworld and only a bit better).
    MD15 with 11.1 ft. head & 300gph cost => $130.00
    or
    MD20RLZT with 23ft. of head & 180gph cost => $180.00 :eeek:

www.customaquatic.com

The Panworld 30PX is a good value, very tough built long lived pumps. They don't fail. The Iwaki's are just as good, perhaps a touch better, but more expensive.

The Iwaki MD20RLZT will give the most flow due to it's eXtreme head rate, but it's going of only offer about 1C better cooling, as the 30PX more than meets the point of diminishing returns. The MD20 is the real extremists pump.

That Danger Den NV68 is a eater of flow rates due to it's twisted channels. I'd really suggest you get a Fusion HL and then add some copper finned RAM sinks. Over all you'll get better performance as your flow rates will but much better. Good luck to ya! ! :thumb:

Last edited: 28 Oct 2004
  8. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

Coolmiester,

A nice round of testing you did there. What rad was used in the loop for this testing?

I was surprised to see the rather drastic pressure drop caused by the Evo1. I knew it would be high due to the winding channels, but it shows to be worse than I'd guessed at. :sigh:

Thank you.

Lot of work there, deserving of a sticky. This could serve as a rough guide for those wanting to know how some of the differant pumps compare. :thumb:

9. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Cheers bud :thumb:

i'll try and add the NV-68 into the mix to see how that effects flow

BTW this little test was done without a radiator so that would also need to be taken into account!

10. Link2425

cheers to everyone for all the help. i was curious though can i find any of these hydor l30 or l35 pumps retail?

11. DrillSgt

DrillSgt What's a Dremel?

Can you give an indication of noise levels from the various pumps?

The D4 seems to have the best Size:Flow ratio, but I'm guessing there's a downside?

12. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Mounted correctly all the Eheims are pretty silent with the exception of the 1260 but anything that size is going to cause a little bit of noise (low hum) and a lot of people who run a 1260 tend to have the cooling system in another room anyway and run hose from the basement or garage below for example.

The 1260 also can run warm but this tends to get exaggerated and is usually caused by inlet flow restriction/starvation due to changing the barb to 1/2" hose tail rather than running it with the standard huge 28mm - G3/4 submerged.

I'm running one of the original Laing D4's which did give out a rather annoying high pitch noise but Danger Den addressed this and the noise levels have been greatly reduced though still louder than Eheim.

IMO the 1250 is the best all round performer for 1/2" set-ups - quiet, powerful enough to cope with most 3 block set-ups with ease and can fit into most standard cases.

I'm not a fan of Hydor at all.

13. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

Anyone in the US should try to grab a Danner Mag3, a very strong contender in terms of performance.

Well, Eheim does work quietly if you mount it properly, but it takes some other materials to reduce the vibrations, especially for Alu cases.

14. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

A good mount is needed for any pump really, whether its quiet or not as it's a cheap and easy way to recduce noice by a few dBs

15. DrillSgt

DrillSgt What's a Dremel?

Thanks coolmiester, Which would you recomend for a compact system utilising a 10mm hose?

Tags: