1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: ultiMAME

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ferox, 2 Aug 2004.

1. ferox

ferox What's a Dremel?

Didn't take too long this time? :thumb:

After planning out how to place the parts on the two MDF boards I started cutting away with my electric saw.

[​IMG]
    - This was the result after about an hour of cutting.

[​IMG]
    Time to put the parts together, I started off with the two sides and the bottom plate. I have used 2"x2" in the corners to ensure the stability of the cab.

[​IMG]
    The back plate is mounted, I will make a service door here later on to ensure easy access.

[​IMG]
    Front plate mounted, the coin door and the keyboard drawer will be located here.

[​IMG]
    I just couldn't wait, I had to try out how the control panel worked out when mounted! :D

[​IMG]
    Next up was the marquee lightning. I gutted a old work lamp with two luminous tubes side by side.

[​IMG]
    Here's the lamp mounted, I've also put in place the plate where the speakers will be mounted on to later on.

[​IMG]
    Second test assembly with the control panel and the monitor. It feels great to stand in front of the cabinet now! :thumb:

Onto something different for a while:

I wanted to be able to turn on all the components in the machine (amplifier, marquee light, monitor and computer) with the push of a single button.
    To manage this I had to build a custom relayswitch, this contains three relays that switches on when the PSU starts to put out 12 volts.

[​IMG]
    Schematic presentation of how the relaybox will work.

[​IMG]
    Here I have drawn up the tracks on the PCB. The bold ones will transport 220V from the mains while the thin ones only 12V from the PSU.

[​IMG]
    The PCB's taking a nice, hot, chemical bath! All the copper that isn't drawn black is corroding away.

[​IMG]
    Finished corroding and holes for the components are drilled.

[​IMG]
    All components and wiring soldered on.

[​IMG]
    I reinforced the tracks that will conduct 220V with some soldering to be sure that they wouldn't overheat.

[​IMG]
    This is the finished PCB placed in a suitable box, you can also see the one IN/OUT connections I've made.

[​IMG]
    Finished product!

That's it for now, I will try my best to put up a new update during the next couple of days.

Until then, take care!

-Audun

2. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

very nice!!!!....love the monitor...this is looking WAY nicer than mine....but i didn't really build mine for looks hahahah.

The MDF seems to be working well for people...i think if i build another one of these then i will mos def use MDF.

VERY NICE PROJECT!!!

3. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

This one is shaping up really well. :thumb:
    Nice Professional job on the wiring.

4. koola

koola Minimodder

WOW! That looks great so far :rock:

5. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

ohh nice relay box...

i wouldn't have the guts to mess arround with that kind of voltage like that

6. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

nice job! :rock: i have a new project now. i always have parts lying around and always did want an arcade machine, guess i'll finally build my own. seeing this is encouraging. :clap:

7. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Awsome project. I love the attention to detail in this unit.

Bring it on! :D

8. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Oh wow!!! :rock:

9. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Nice job so far, looks excellent!! It is going to look VERY pro once it's finished! :thumb:

I too am doing a MAME cabinet (been in planning for 1 year now), but I cheated and I am modding a 4-Player NBA-JAM cabinet. :D

Not to dooubt your skills, but is that wiring rated for 220v?? :eyebrow:

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

You are a legend mate! Can I come round and play?

11. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Easily!

12. ferox

ferox What's a Dremel?

Hi all, time for a new update! :clap:

My next main goal after the last update was to finish the new control panel, as said before, the previous panel was just a layout-test.

[​IMG]
    Designing and building the box to support the control panel was a bit tricky, since there are NO right-angled corners here! :blah:

[​IMG]
    But after a hard days work it was finally finished, it didn’t come out that bad after all!

[​IMG]
    I have designed the control panel so that it's easy to hook on and off, this design also opens up the possibility to design other panel layouts (for instance a wheel for car games) and easily switch between them.

[​IMG]
    Next up on my to-do list was the keyboard drawer beneath the control panel. I mounted this in a 45 degrees angel to avoid taking up to much space inside the cabinet where the computer wil placed, but also to assure easy access to the keyboard and mouse.
    The drawer is mounted on two retractable rails that can be pulled out 40 cm.

[​IMG]
    The rails mounted in a 45 degree angle.

[​IMG]
    The drawer mounted and pulled out to its operating position.

[​IMG]
    To keep the drawer in place when closed I have placed one of these 7 kg magnets on each side of it. Pretty hard to pull it open now! :D

[​IMG]
    This is how it looks when the drawer is closed, I will of course mount a handle on the drawer later on.

[​IMG]
    Next victim; the coin-door.
    Marked and ready to be cut!

[​IMG]
    Finished cutting, I have kept a good clearance to the drawer since I have a thought to put a beer-cooler behind the door and need some space for it. But more on that later on! :)

[​IMG]
    The door temporarily mounted, I will give it a complete brush up later on.

[​IMG]
    Then i did the holes for the two 100W car loudspeakers. I used one of my favourite tools, a totally adjustable hole saw/drill bit, works on holes up to 150 mm in dia.

[​IMG]
    Loudspeakers mounted and some "oldscool" 80's speaker mesh (what to call it?) attached

[​IMG]
    This is the heavy duty frame i put together to mount the 20kg monitor in. I have placed it a bit higher than I originally had in mind, more in line with my eyes!

[​IMG]
    With the monitor bolted in place i started on drawing and cutting the frame that will fit around it.

[​IMG]
    The frame fitted perfectly with some small adjustments. The bezel art will be mounted on top of this frame when done.

[​IMG]
    After putting all, for now, finished parts together I ended up with this as a result, not bad at all! :D

Next up will be stuffing it with computer parts, some buttons and sticks and then.......
    ...PLAY!!! :rock:

- Audun

13. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

definatly so nice quality work there i cant wait to see it finished :thumb:

14. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Really great project so far. Very professional. :D

15. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

Easily the best I have seen- looking forward to the next update!

16. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

hehe that looks cool mate.. good luck with it.

17. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

It looks really nice. What are you plans for finishing it? Are you going to leave it as wood, paint it, or add a marquee to the side?

18. fastbullit

fastbullit What's a Dremel?

jävligt tuff om man får tillägga!! norden är bäst :rock:

damn, thats hot!! :rock: i would like to see such a machine one day
    looks really damn funny playing one (ive never tried so i dunno)
    well..... its.... just..... *cant find words*...... :rock:
    good luck on the project mate, ill be watching when u dont know :worried:

19. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

that looks totally OEM man. very very very very slick work there, incredibly neat and proffesional. I think this could be one of the most satisfying projects a person could ever do, more so than a case mod. This is something you'll want to keep around for ever and i cant really see anyone ever getting sick of it.

Just make sure you tell you boss that you're quitting and will never be leaving your house ever again.

20. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Very nice dude... Good luck and keep up the good work :)