1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Any guides for Server 2003 - how to create a file server

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikeuk2004, 28 Oct 2004.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Hi guys.

Is there any simple guides on the net I can Download for Win Server 2003 on how to set it up as a file server and domain controller etc which I can follow through. I have some knowlege with servers but not that much :)

Any links to info would be useful or downloadable guides.

Thanks

2. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Setting it up as a file server is a piece of cake... once it's installed you just setup the shares and permissions on the drives.

The Domain Controller is a differenct kettle of fish. How many machines are going to be connectnig to it? Also do you have any experience with Active Directory?

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

A total of 4 machines, all with win XP Pro

4. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

You'll have no problems with setting up file, dhcp and dns servers. To be honest though with 4 machines for the effort involved you'll probably be better just sticking with a Workgroup.

One of the main reasons for the use of Active Directory and Domain Controllers is that above say 10 machines and users Workgroups get increasingly difficult to manage (as to permission shares you must have all the user accounts setup on each machine in the Workgroup) and AD allows permissions (etc) to be managed centrally. There is however a lot to learn if you haven't used it before.

XP will still allow you to setup networked home folders, login scripts and profiles (iirc) in a Workgroup, they just have to be set on each machine.

As far as guides go I've spent ages looking for stuff and the majority of it seems to be in books that you have to pay for - if you want begining to end type instructions.

I have however found quite a lot of useful stuff at the World of Windows Networking. Also you'll find taht on the whole guides for 2000 server are applicable to 2003.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You could do file serving through web-based Apache?

6. leber

leber What's a Dremel?

i went to http://www.learnwindowsserver.com/ and picked up the videos for about 10 bucks, i thought they were really good. they also have some shorter free videos that you can download test the quality

7. sp_1000

sp_1000 What's a Dremel?

Tags: