1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks HUB or SWITCH?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by y-it-earp, 30 Sep 2001.

1. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

Ewww.... RM stuff is a nightmare at my school :(

2. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

end users dont seem to like it but it is a godsend for the admin side of things

3. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

No offence to all the compitant admins out there, but the ones at my school are real noddies, so I guess I can see why it could be a godsend for them...

We had one good technician, but he left for a more well paid job.

To be fair, it's not the techies fault that RM things are pants sometimes, as even if they know a better way to do things, they're obliged to adhere to policy, and follow the RM way - as it reduces liablity for the techies and the school. If everything is to the letter, and somethng goes wrong, then the defence is "but ours is just like everyone elses", else it could easily be attacked for the 'non-standard' measures that might be in place, even fi they have nothign to do with whatever scandal is going on.

4. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

we kinda tell RM "we are doing this" most of the time they dont have a problem, but they can be arsey about none standard configs, like extra apps servers and stuff, but u have to do it.

5. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

explain..... what is RM?

not nimbus poop?

6. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

RM = Research Machines...

Supplier of computer equipment/software/support the whole shebang to schools and places of education..

7. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

RM are the same people that made the nimbus's, RM Connect is basicly a phat addon for win NT that makes it a hell of a lot more simple to use (not that NT is a prob to use), but it makes rolling software our pi*s easy, same with users, can just import a shed load from a CSV file, easy to use disk space quotas, easy to disable inet from a single user, making secure shared areas is dead easy too, stops users playing with settings (like winlock but better), can have users withthere own desktops, that they can edit to see fit (if you let them). Building work stations is as easy as putting a boot disk in and going for a cuppa, Its designed for idiots to use really, but is dead useful if you are busy and have a fair number of machines that need software installing all the time.

8. y-it-earp

y-it-earp What's a Dremel?

Hiya
    Thanks for j00r helps

I bought me a netgear 10/100mbit switch from which im running my cable modem and various arrays of machines in iCS :D
    Ta

9. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

shoulda brought a Netgear RT314 ;)

10. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

The RT makes me think thats a router with a built in hub/switch

11. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

Indeed it is! uses NAT/DHCP so no more ICS just switch on any pc connected to it and your off!!!!!!!

also Spoof's MAC addresses so perfect for UK Cablemodem ISP's ;)

Thier newer version also has a Wireless access point built in!!!

12. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

my switch was cheap, amigo 5 port 10/100 switch , £45 from the computer fair :))

Tags: