1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Swiftech blocks = GARBAGE!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by toyomatt84, 27 Oct 2004.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As I said, it may be nothing you did, just a dud block. Did you contact Swiftech?

2. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

The CPU and GPU blocks leaked? Sounds unlikely to me. :eyebrow:

3. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Swiftech won't take it back.

They say no-returns on this sort of incident.

Ignored.

4. boardsportsrule

boardsportsrule What's a Dremel?

i've had my fair share of bad experiences with water in my computer, so i feel your pain, but think about it for just a couple seconds.... so many people out there... then ONE person gets TWO faulty blocks,i personally find that hard to belive, i would check to make sure you had everything on right, and if not you can prolly get a replacement part from swiftech if somethign broke....CHEAPLY, if not free... as for the video card, warranty it! any who, that blows, i ster clear of water for the risks involved, probably in a couple more years ill watercool again...but you gotta understand its risky, and be able to suck it up if something gets messed, because most manufacturers wont care if you or another company messed up, its not their fault it broke....

dont just think this is bashing you, or anything like that, i would just check it out, usually i think everything is perfect, and then some tiny little thing slipped my mind... but that doesnt mean that swiftech employee's werent hung over and messed up a couple WB's.... good luck no matter what!

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What sort of coolant did you use?

6. toyomatt84

Well, I hear ya', but I did check all the items out before and after the incidents. They appear to be ok, but I know they leak. Looks can be deceiving. As for the Warranty on the card, I broke my end of the bargain when I took off the massive air cooler that came on it. So, I didn't hold up to my end of the bargain for Sapphire's Warranty to come into place. Also, if I even tried to put the cooler back on, the replaced Ramsinks will not be able to be removed. They are Thermal Adhesive'd on.

Well, I use a straight water setup with Anti-Algae in it.

7. Tos

Tos What's a Dremel?

I doubt anyone would use chlorhydric acid for coolant, so I'd either say he used automotive coolant or deminaralized water + additive .. In either case, there should have been no leaks ...

8. xrain

xrain Minimodder

lol a way to keep you from killing your stuff even if it leaks just use floronet, a none conductive liquid that has a better heat transfer rate than water, and wont kill ur comp if you spring a leak, and has a very low freezing point, and a high boiling point. but it is kinda spendy i think its about $50 a letere (forgive my spelling) :D

9. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

toyomatt84: want to sell me your shafted Radeon? PM me :) Back On Topic...

10. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

This is wat happened with me Eheim 1250, not sounding relevant here, but my personal experience:

Wen I leaktested the loop, only the Pump leaked, the rest is fine for a couple of hours. So I stopped, and found out it was the Inlet. I then used every way possible to fix this: changing the rubber band, checking for cracks, applying tape (first the white super thin plumbing tape for joints of hoses and threads, later even self amalgamating tape)...etc but to no avail :)

Damn, I was so disappointed I even wanted to throw the pump out of my 9th floored window. But then to my horror, I happened to see a tiny crack on the wall of the OUTLET (not Inlet as it appeared to have leaked from). So, the day after, Super glue solved the problem. :D

Lesson leanred: maybe the fault is not where you think it is. Try checking at other spots too.

Dont doom me if you think I've said nonsense, as stated, just my own experience.

11. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

as we people say in singapore, NPNT. meaning no picture no talk.
    if you do not have pictures to prove how you blotched an idiot proof installation, i would not be surprised that you are from a competitor's company and are trying to screw swifty's reputation.
    it would be difficult to understand how come BOTH your CPU and GPU block leaked and you can attribute this to equipment failure. its is most probably a user error. and without pictures of this. your claims are unsubstantiated, and thus VOID.
    :eyebrow:
    not being rude here, but trying to voice my feelings.

12. toyomatt84

Where did this come from? I already posted what I used for a coolant.

Cool stuff, but I already have gotten rid of the liquid setup.

Nope.

Pump isn't in the case. Plus, I already have seen where it leaked, as I stated before.

There's a big difference in what you mentioned. You, my friend, are being rude. First of all, I don't need to prove that it leaked to you, I was just tossing a story out for people to read. And, seeing as that I work at a Printing Company, Letterhead Press, in the Shipping & Receiving department, I doubt that I'm trying to knock on Swiftech's Reputation.

My claims aren't VOID, as I have friends that have seen the leaks in action. They all know how much time I put into making this system run right, so therefore it's NOT my fault. And therefore also signifies that it WASN'T user error.

This thread has gone to absolute garbage, because most of the people here don't have the common sense, nor the decency to atleast READ what I've posted. I don't know how many times I had to explain as to why it was NOT user error, that I'm completely sick of it.

Thanks a lot, guys/gals, for paying as little attention as possible. *note sarcasm*

PS. There are some exceptions to the rule in this story, but hardly any.

13. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

being in a printing company, you of all people should know the importance of cold hard evidence, instead of witness reports.
    and what is the PURPOSE of writing such a complaint, may i ask? it hardly seems objective to begin with. NPNT, no proof, no point making accusations. period.

14. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

As for anyone being rude in this thread, take (yet another) look at the mirror dude. Holy crap. We all know you're pissed about frying all your **** (lol) but if you're going to make a thread about it, at least have the decency to chill out.

Sounds like you selected the wrong tubing. Stiff tubes do not seal as well as flexible ones. Maybe next time (I doubt this will ever happen, considering this whole experience is likely to turn you into a major *****) you should use tygon.

As for the videocard: Duh? Put the cooler back on. Get new thermal tape. Honestly... :rolleyes:

Ohnoes, my computer broke because I'm a dumbass, now I'm going to turn into a big internet tough guy so I can feel better :cry:

15. toyomatt84

Did you notice what the name of the thread was? I was posting an experience.

Wow, for being such a know-it-all, you really don't know jack.... .
    First off, I started this thread with as little anger as possible for a person in my situation. Also, the type of tubing I used, was that of recommendation from dozens of my buddies who have great working systems. And, I don't know how'd I be a *****, if I chose alternate cooling methods than liquid. I'm going for a Peltier system with custom copper blocks next, so I'd say that's a step up from liquid.

Now, as for the video card comment. I shouldn't even have to post this, but I will out of shear pity for your pathetic knowledge. I stated earlier (that's right, I'm repeating yet again) that I have Ramsinks permanently mounted to the card with Thermal Adhesive (basically, thermal epoxy). The only way to get them off is by ripping the card apart. Trust me, it's a tried and true fact.

And as for that last comment, go back to 4th grade and learn some of the English language. That way, when you try and make a disrespectful remark, you won't sound like someone talking out of their ass.

16. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

:) better not DIY your blocks dude, you cant even handle a commercial block, much less a gh3tto one.
    and make sure u leak test for a month the next month round.

17. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

may i ask what tubing you used? if you have allready stated please tell me.
    the thing with swiftech blocks is they only accept certain sizes of tubing
    as in 3/8 id 1/2 od. no bigger no smaller. tygon and clearflex are both bigger in size. if you used those i have no doubt but to feel sorry for you. hope this doesn't come off as being rude.

18. toyomatt84

I have 4 professional mills, ranging from vertical to side-drilling, as well as any type of welder (MIG, TIG, ARC, OXY-ACETELENE), and a Plasma cutter all to my use. I have had 6 years of experience in all of them. Oh yeah, got a metal lathe as well, but that's not going to really come into use for this.

I think I'll be much better off with a self-made block.

Already answered this, but I used [​IMG] this tubing. 1/2 OD, 3/8 ID.

19. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

man these guys are being horrible assholes.

do you still have the blocks or anything ? or have you tossed them, if you still have them i would love to see a picture, or even have them just so i could see what the problem was, even if you already have a good idea of what the problem was

Although it is unlikely, it happens. If he got blocks that came out of the same batch, then they easily could have both been faulty, as for the people who responded saying their swifty worked fine, thats only a few people out of thousands. Theres probably a bunch of other people out there in the us with faulty blocks as well, but they didnt take the time to read this thread and sympathize(sp?)

Its just like sometimes an electronics company makes shatty capacitors, they go into cathode inverters, and boom, 100 people out there are ranting and raving because their inverter blew up.

Its the companies fault often.

sorry for your loss matt :)

20. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

Wait a minute here.. I'm talking out of my ass? You're the one who doesn't know how to properly fit your waterblock(s). In addition to that, lets allow our (fourth grade) logic into the picture. How can anyone with two halves of a brain expect stiff tubing to make any kind of seal? Especially considering the type of fittings on the swiftech block.

As for thermal tape on the ram: The usual procedure for this would be to run the card intensively for about an hour to get the sinks nice and warm. Then you grab some dental floss and soak it in olive oil. After you do that run the floss back and forth between the ram and the sink. The olive oil breaks down the adhesive on the sinks, and since the sinks are warm the thermal adhesive will be of a better consistency than it's usual cement like state when it's cold. It takes a long ass time, but it can (and has been) done.

Congrats on the new peltier setup, dont fry anything else in your rig trying to install it improperly.