1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beach Holidays or winter(ie snowboarding/skiing)

Discussion in 'General' started by Piratetaco, 28 Oct 2004.

?

Beach or the Piste?

1. Sun, Sand and Sangria for me!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I'm addicted to the white powder!

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Mountains, Lakes and Log Cabins - Wilderness here I come!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. What's wrong with Butlins at Bognor?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Snowboarding is too much fun. Honestly, I think it's the most fun thing I've ever done. And I've done allsorts of fun things :D

2. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

I'm going snowboarding for the first time in Colorado next Feb. Anyone got any hints; what to do, what NOT to do?

3. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

if you fall clench your fists.
    don't lean back,always lean forward.(if you do you lose all 'steering' and you go faster and faster out of control until you hit something or fall over)

4. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Don't do what my friend did when he went to canada and fall off, doing plenty of somersaults, get up AFTER stopping, and then fall over backwards and land on your arm and break your wrist.

5. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

6. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

My advice is expect bruises! :D Also it helps to be in shape as your stomach muscles will really ache when you have to pick yourself up every 30s.

For me nothing beats flying down a mountain at rediculous speeds or pulling off a massive jump at the snow park. I'd go to the mountains more often if only it wasn't so damn expensive.

7. Piratetaco

hmmmm black runs :D

8. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

I must say I'm not a speed freak when going down a mountain, I prefer cruising down at a decent speed to hurtling down at breakneck speed really.

Just doesn't suit me......

Tips:

-Don't give up....it's hard at first but it gets much easier
    -As modderman said, lean forward all the time, unless you're great like me and fancy having a rest cause you can point forwards and lean against the back of the bindings :D

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I don't know why you guys are saying lean forward. Surely it depends which way you are facing as to which way is forward. Do you mean lean into the mountain or away from it? In any case I'd say don't lean in any particular direction as it totally depends on what you are doing.

My tips are: When you're learning to turn, adjust the weight on your front foot until you are half way through the turn, then adjust the weight of your back foot and you should find yourself fully turned. For example if you are regular and on toe side, you'll be going from left to right along the slope. Your weight will be on your toes. To do a left turn adjust the weight on your front (left) foot from toe to heel. You'll start to turn left. When you are facing directly down the slope adjust the weight on your back foot to the heel. I found that's the easiest way to turn when you are learning. After you get the hang of it of course it will come naturally and you won't have to worry about what you're doing unless you're on really steep bumpy slopes.
    If you are going off-piste then the best thing to do is to relax your knees. Especially if the snow is frozen solid and bumpy. Also if the snow is really soft and thick then you should lean back a lot to avoid planting the front of the board in the snow and catapulting forwards.
    That's about all the things I can think of. When you get good enough it really is brilliant fun.

10. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

We mean weight on the front foot, not learning forward or backwards in that sense.

11. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Agree with you so much, went snowboarding, was best week of my life, loved it so much, even though I bombed down a black run, landed on my left ass cheek (board goofy as skate goofy) and my left ass cheek braked and stopped as my body/right ass cheek carried on...yeah so thats painful....

Anyways snow better than sun, you can get a tan off snow...and can skate/board it and then do insane stuff off it (don't like carving though, I have vertigo, strange for a snowboarder/air cadet, so only come down facing forwards (carving but with alot of 180's in it :) ) But snowboarding rules...

- M@

12. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Take up Kitesurfing then :p

I like both, but agree can't sit still on a beach for long, get all fidgity, there is te Kitesesurfing already mentioned, used to sail catamarans, still waterski etc, plenty of activity you can do - and there is the eye candy factor too :D

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Nov 2004
  13. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Poll added.

I'm off to the Maldives for Christmas, but I'll be spending most of my time diving rather than sitting on the beach. But I'm sure I'll do some of that, if only to dry out every now and then... ;)

14. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

I can't vote properly as I can't pick the top three and there is no option for all of the above minus butlins :rolleyes: :D

15. fizban

fizban What's a Dremel?

most definitly the cabin and lake and mountains.... My wife and I went to Colorado for our honeymoon, and we went back last summer! And it was awesome just to get away and enjoy God's creation!

of course I did do a little bit of Mountain Biking too! Can't be all romantic the entire time :D

16. Piratetaco

17. olv

olv he's so bright

OOOOMMMMGGG SSSNNNNOOOOWWWWWWWW.

i've been adicted to skiing since i was 9 and can just never get enough.

Spending 2 months in Whistler this year which i'm SOOOOOO excited about. AAHHHHH.

Nothing compares to the feeling of flying down a beautifully groomed piste with freshly fallen snow. I love just looking out from the chair lift accross an expanse of whiteness.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

far too excited.