1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding heatsinks and a case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by f U z ! o N, 31 Oct 2004.

1. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

just a quick question. i have been pondering this idea for a while. would attaching heatsinks to a case's insides help dissipate the heat to the metal. now, before you start to flame away actually think about it for a bit. the heat from the inside of the case would be transferred to the heatsinks im assuming making the case a conductor for the heat. what do you guys think?

2. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

well i tought about it for a hour. anyway you would be spreading the heat out onto more space but i dont think the case conducts enough heat to even make a difference. Good idea tho

3. f U z ! o N

it would still look pretty badass

4. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

how would it look badass... and how would it be done? there are already heatpipe cases that use passive cooling (*cough* zalman) and are nearly silent (hd and cdrom grinding aside)...

Steel isn't that great of a material to help cool off... to be truely efficient it has to be aluminum that will conduct and dissipate well (read: thick, channeled aluminum)... this wouldn't be an easy task to pull off and get positive results.

5. f U z ! o N

yeah i kind of realize its a dumb idea but what do you expect at 1 am in the morning! lol. seriosuly it was just a spur of the moment idea.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

less than two hours later...
    contradictory of statements? its 2:30 in the morning here, and i cought that. dont mean to be bitchy, just thought that was interesting... :eyebrow:

7. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

I'd imagine any gains would be lost when you funk up the airflow with great big lumps of metal...

8. f U z ! o N

yah seems i did kinda contradict myself lol. sorry.i deserve to be flamed for this so flame away :rock:

9. f U z ! o N

i guess the reason i asked this was because one of the recent max pc mags was talking about the st. anger mod (there is thread below mine on this) that used 2 tecs and it said he connected them to the case making it one big heatsink. of course they did not show pics of the tecs.

10. Ham_fisT

Ham_fisT What's a Dremel?

Actually, this is not a bad idea. look at what Zalman has done with this very concept!

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cas-208.html

the entire case is One HUGE heatsink, with heatpipe technology throughout.

although implementing this with an ordinary case would be difficult, I think.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

ive spent awhile looking at the Zalman case before, and it seems almost overdone to me. the concept is good, but i think they overused the idea, and overpriced it. by combining heatpipe technology and some really really good heatsinks, along with a good heat-conductive case, you could do something pretty cool by piping the heat from key heat-generating components (i.e. cpu, gpu, north&southbridge, possibly RAM) to extremely high-quality heatsinks incorporated to a very conductive case (such as a nice, thick but channeled aluminum case) you could spread the heat out nicely. of course, i imagine grounding would be an issue, not to mention the fact that the heat would then dissapate into whatever room this rig was in, effectively turning your office into a dry-sauna. it seems easier just to get a decent watercooling kit :rock:

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

i wondered about the ST Anger thing too, but one thing i do feel is that there's little point in chilling the outside of the case. After all the huge passive innovtek rad on the side just heats it back up again... can anybody find the modder responsible for that case and ask him for pictures?