1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Swiftech blocks = GARBAGE!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by toyomatt84, 27 Oct 2004.

1. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

Been watching this thread for a few days and I want to have my say. Toyomatt84, I don't know why you are so defensive about this. What kind of response did you expect from such an inflammatory thread title?

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on these forums who have plenty of experience with watercooling and may have been able to help you with your dilemma. I think that is neither here nor there at this point. You don't seem willing to learn, you just want to vent about how a product ruined your machine. I personally don't own any Swiftech blocks, I use Aqua Computer. But I have read plenty of reviews and testimonials on Swiftech's products and you are the first person to describe their products as "garbage." What I'm trying to say is that you are fighting an uphill battle. You're trying to bash a product that has been praised by others who have used it. Couple that with your defensive attitude and the fact that you have no pics, and I'm not surprised that people aren't taking you seriously. I don't know you and won't make any assessments about who you are, but your tone makes you sound like a spoiled brat with no patience and no desire to learn.

You may have been an unlucky person who happened to get a bad fitting. Or, you might have messed up the installation somehow. Either way, this probably would have been better handled between you and Swiftech. From what you've stated, it sounds like they don't want to take responsibility for it. If the block was defective when you got it, I would think that they would have to take it back. Were you angry on the phone when you talked to them? From my personal experience, if you yell at a person on the phone, chances are they won't do a damn thing for you. :blah:

2. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

ok, out of all the things iv seen in disaster mods ppl get upset and have a good luagh after. this section kinda gets ppl to leard from other ppls mistakes. if u really wanted 2 flame some product u should have stuck this in hardware or general disussion.
    do not expect to post in disaster mods and not have ppl tell u that u ****ed up. tho i am sorry that u lost some very expensive equipment u cannot place all blame on swiftech when on a minority of ppl have problem and only a handful of them its coz of a fualty product. when u decided to WC ur system u knew right then and there that ur warranty will b VOID. mayb u can talk 2 them calmly and try and get the blocks replaced or refunded.

PS: i 2 have killd things such as the odd CPU but do i go and blame asus coz they advertise a mobo as "the perfect overclocker" no. i kno its my stupid fualt and i cannot do any thing about it.

bitch all u want but that wonthelp here when u act like a total n00b (like i am atm)

suck it in, like the rest of us and have a good luagh at the fact u killd some very expensive equipment

3. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Thank you for understanding. Although my situation is quite rare, it is possible, like you said.

Well, if you would have read my posts, I wouldn't have to explain further. But, as you will understand, explanation will be needed once again for you.

Your first comment makes no sense. How does talking out of your ass have anything to do with knowing how to install water blocks? Then, you say harder lines are impossible to seal, because they are harder. Incorrect, when I heat up the lines in boiling water, they become like wet noodles, making them easy as pie to install. Also, this helps the seal process even further.

Now, you say that I used thermal tape. Well, yet again, I USED THERMAL ADHESIVE. Since you don't know what that is, I'll tell you. It's a two part mix (much like epoxy), that has a thermal quality to it (much like thermal paste). But, when the two components are mixed, you only have a few min to work with them, before it becomes a rock solid glue. The only way to break the seal is with a hammer and chisel, or maybe some acetone. But, you should know that would ruin the ramsink, and totally give away that the card was altered.

Thanks for the explanation, but I already know what's going on. I'm having to repeat myself multiple times for people who don't have the common respect to read what I've written and possibly see this story from my point of view. Thus, this is causing anger in me, making me get quite defensive. This is all a natural response for the human. I only wanted to post a thread of my bad luck, and maybe some pity comments would come in, but I wasn't expecting them. Instead, I got "You're a moron trying to setup a watercooling setup" comments. Tell me that you would respond differently than I, and I will call you a liar.

No comment.

4. dead_man

im sorry that if what i said upset u but what u say is true, ppl do get defesnive when there stuff gets broken. but the last part of what u wrote is not true, ppl have it happen all the time here and ask for help in fixing it, when it cant be fixed they suck it up. i do c it from my point of view coz iv been in that situation myself and guess what, i didnt blame the companies i blamed myself, it happens all the time with 1 guy putting a screwdriver thru a radion 9800pro etc. so u call me a liar coz i would remain calm? guess what ppl remain calm when the break stuff all the time here. tho i reckon there all assholes for not trying to help and reading what i wrote earlier i sound like an asshole asswell

5. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

I am hardly talking out of ass duder. Not only have I set up multiple watercooling rigs, but I've actually taken a basic physics class, unlike you have. You see, when things get hot of course they're going to expand and become maliable. What happens when they get cold? They contract and stiffen. Now what does this do to your seal? I hope the wheels are turning right now, because if they aren't, I feel really bad for you now.

Read my post at all smartass? Notice the part where I said the compound becomes a cement like substance? Obviously that would lead you to believe that I was not refering to thermal tape, rather, thermal epoxy. Now what you've done is totally skipped over my totally valid and good advice and proceeded in making an ass of yourself yet again. All this over some stupid errorous word choice. Back we go to the basic physics again anyhow... What happens to a substance when it gets hot? Class? It expands and becomes maliable. Why do you try it huh? Or do you not care? Mommy allready to running out and grab you another X800 for you to take swimming?

Good game noob.

6. toyomatt84

I don't blame you for your response, dude, so chill out. It's all good. I just don't see how I could react positively to all this negative scrutiny. Especially, by the following person:

Well, let's see here. Oh yeah, you've assumed again. See, what you didn't know, is that I've taken college level Physics. And, if you need proof, I'll see if I can't send you my AP Physics C (Electromechanics & Physics) test score of 4. But, that was over a year ago, so like you'd take notice anyway.

Now, onto your crack on the X800 situation. I live alone, hot s***, so I paid for that X800 myself. Also, I just happen to know something about electronics, so I've already replaced the capacitor and resistor the leak fried. Yes, that's right, a capacitor and a resistor. Do you know Ohm? Or maybe his Law? Because if you could, you'd be able to understand what each of those are capable of. Oh yes, and you study them in college-level Physics.

Don't ever challenge me again. I knew what I was doing, fool, and I still do. I did everything correctly, and things went wrong afterwards, due to some bad luck. But, since you refuse the truth, go crawl back to your English dictionary and figure out a decent response to what I've written.

7. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Stop acting like Trolls, It just makes you both look like asses :blah:

If you can tell me the exact problem with you block(s) then il belive you that it was a factory falt and not you error. If you dont know exactly what the problem was than i dont think your in the position to lay the blame on swiftech.

Factory falts are rare and the chances of you having the same one on 2 differant block from a differant batch and even a differant design is very very slim.

ps. I have collage level physics and engineering aswell so dont try and blind me with your amazing knowlage :rolleyes:

slater..

8. dead_man

thanks, i will chill and can understand u not being possitive bout killing an X800 so can we have a good laugh at LordFeaR? :hehe: :hehe: :lol:

every1 is acting like asses in this thread

adds sarcasm

9. toyomatt84

I believe I mentioned the problem with these blocks. Them leaking is quite a problem. If you need specifics, I guess, it would be kind of hard to describe. If you take a look at where the hose meets the block, there is a copper piece mounted to the bottom and in-between the mount for the hose and that copper piece is where it leaked on the graphics card. Now, as for the cpu block. On both stems, there was a leak, even after adding hose clamps, and goop, it was still leaking a little (which is odd). After adding like a lb of goop, it was sealed solid.

Oh, and I don't care about your schooling, because it never pertained to an argument between you and I. Just a point of notice.

Thanks again for understanding.

10. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

no offense but even high school grade electronics teaches u ohms law infact i did an auto elec course not 6 months ago and they taught us the same thing as i learnt in year 9 electronics that was over 3 YEARS ago

no onto the point and im sorry if the top part was being rude

ok ive blown **** up modded stuff to the extent of not working no more etc i do feel sorry for u and understand ur anger towards ppl when they miss read or missunderstand ppl

infact dead_man has a bad habbit of takeing advice which is good advice as me or other friends as flameing him ( somtimes it takes 2 hours of severe abuse to get him to understand )

but wat im really trying to get at is 90% of equipment failures are user error the other 10% is bad product like me and many ppl out there have experience worst case scenarios building my new speakers i ****ed up the cross overs and screwed the sound up somthing cronic to the point the resistor on the tweeter didnt do its job and blew the **** out of the tweet ( again causeing me much frustration and anger but i laughed about it almost straight away )

wether u or others agree with me or not modding ur computer has a chance of ****ing it up Peltiers put them on the wrong way u end up with extreme heat on the cpu and a nice ice cold side on the cpu, water kooling a risk of electrolisist i think its called when u have 2 different metals and such combine makeing it rust conductive so on , even leaking,

anyway i hope swiftech will be reasonable and help u with replaceing or gettin ur money back on the parts if u havent already thrown them out (lol)

on the other hand i hope ur next experience is much more pleasent

Good Luck

11. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

fortunately, we here at bit-tech will still be reassured of the integrity of swiftech blocks. this can be due to the fact that due to the lack of photos and details, you are in fact blowing hot air over the whole issue. boasting about your expertise and not posting actual pics and evidence of the damage would be foolish, and only tarnish your image.
    THUS we can conclude that with the lack of evidence, toyo prolly milled his swifty block to pieces with his 4 professional mills, and lathe. forming holes all over it, thus resulting in it leaking. period.

12. boardsportsrule

boardsportsrule What's a Dremel?

WWWW WAIT A MINUTE!!!! i may have gotten something here!

quickly now, this could be the problem...you add the hose clamps BEFORE you turn it on, did you do this? you NEED hose clamps, and you HAVE to clamp them as tight as you can.... from this post it sounds like you didn't at first, if that is true then that's most likely why they leaked.... but i am not sure if how i read that is what you meant to say....

13. toyomatt84

Well, I've heard this before, bud. I can understand what you're saying, as I did the others who posted similar posts as this. But, what no one is getting, is that I've got witnesses that say it wasn't my fault. I've also got bad luck to stick with me, so I'm not surprised at all that this happened. Just upset, really.

Don't say "we here at bit-tech" again. You're a noob to the forums, your posts say it. Plus, you can't conclude jack****. You have no clue of what you're talking about.

Join Dates don't mean jack, if you don't post. So don't try coming back with that in mind. Actions speak louder than words, you didn't make many actions until my thread existed, so therefore you're wasting your time trying to prove something. I'm not listening.

Yeah, it was a mistype. I put the clamps on before I started the flow of water. But, thanks for pointing that out. :D

14. toyomatt84

You know what, to save people from any more anguish, I'm going to have this thread closed. That way, you can believe what you want, without having to voice it.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, that was a constructive debate... :rolleyes:

OK, I agree that when you start a thread with a somewhat emotive statement, then you are likely to get emotive responses. But people, hey, can't we all just chill and get to the bottom of this one without casting aspersions back and forth? Are we geeks? Yes. Do geeks get passionate? Yes. Do geeks argue over technical/scientific detail? Yes, no problem with that. But do geeks argue like a bunch of beer bottle throwing chavs? I think not.

Let's all go and overclock our maturity levels a bit, and come back here when we hit a decent adult benchmark, OK? :blah:

Meanwhile toyomatt84, it's a bummer that Swiftech wouldn't take back the blocks to at least check whether they were indeed OK. I think an opportunity was missed here... still, the way to modding is hard... I hope that this hasn't put you off and you try something with more conventional barbs. In stainless steel wormclamps and Tygon we trust. :thumb: Good luck.

16. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

HELLO? dude, i dont know what iam doing?
    an ODDITY perhaps, considering that i am a distro of waterblocks in singapore? and er, post numbers dont account for nuts if all you post are unsubstantiated inflammatory remarks,
    i ahve modded and done all possible and i do not own a DELL LOL.
    so, define noob? maybe i am a noob because i am 15, but have assembled 3 watercooling rigs eventlessly? or maybe i am a noob because i just learnt ohms law. get a life man!

17. toyomatt84

Thanks, bud. Yeah, I'm not giving up on modding, just on watercooling for the time being. Maybe when Alienware starts disto'ing their dual gphx/ dual cpu/ liquid cooled systems, I'll get back into it. :D

Peace.

Glad you're a distributor, but 3 systems is chicken scratch. I've personally built 30+ custom air cooled pc's without hassle. And, then on the first liquid cooled system, I got problems.

noob = a person new to a specific way of life, and assumes that all is right according to what they think.

You fit that description. And, if you need a description of my life, I'd put money on me having done more with my life than you.

PS. How are you a distro. for waterblocks in Singapore at age 15? I smell bs. :eyebrow:

18. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

the only bs you are smelling is your own dood.
    30+ aircooled systems? and you borked a simple waterblock installation?
    now that sounds more like bs.

and duh, a longer life obviously implies more experiences......
    unless u need a degree to figure that out....

19. dead_man

no offonse but air cooling and water cooling are 2 different things. it may have been him botching the install or it may have been a fualty block. who knows? consider that swiftech wont even look at them.
    so in essence bozo u r full of bs coz water cooling is by no means an easy jump when ur new 2 it (i havent even done it yet, can kill my hardware fine with flooding my parts thank u very much ) and i agree with him, u may work for a distro but i highly doubt u r the distro if a company in singapore.

20. toyomatt84

Fine, want me to be specific? I probably have done twice as much as you have at age 15. There. Plus, I have to thank dead_man for the following:
    Yes, thank you. :D