1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Gemstone (42" tall, Quad watercooled CPUs)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wmandra, 1 Nov 2004.

1. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Well, I figured this time around I should probably do a real project log, so here it goes......

This is going to be a fairly large project and I will update this thread with current progress and pics regularly.

Project Specs:
    [CASE 1]
    MSI K8T Master-2 FAR
    Dual AMD Opteron 244
    1GB RAM
    Yeong Yang YY-0221B Cube Server Case
    Matrix Orbital LCD Display

[CASE 2]
    MSI K7D Master-L
    Dual AMD Athlon MP 2400+
    1GB RAM
    1TB RAID 5 Array

[CASE 3]
    Dual Thermochill 120.2 Radiators
    Dual Swiftech MCP-650 Pumps
    Custom 5 Bay Acrylic Resevoir
    Matrix Orbital LCD Display
    Polished Power Supply

Basically all three cases will be stacked one on top of the other with the watercooling system in the middle. The overall height will be around 42". The dual Athlon Rig will be running Windows Server 2003, and the dual Opteron will be used as my workstation loaded with Win XP Pro, Win XP 64, and Linux 64 (booted from swappable 40GB HDDs). Both Computers will be connected to an array of 3 LCD monitors (1 17" in the middle and 2 15" on the sides) through a KVM. And they will be networked via 1000baseT switch. For security both computers will require Smart Card login. Yes, ALL 4 CPUs WILL BE WATERCOOLED!! Each case will have it's own power supply which will be interlinked with the w/c PSU to turn each cooling loop on and off independantly.

My current system consists of the dual Athlons in a YY Cube. I went shopping online today and spent approx. $2500.00 ordering all of the new parts required, hopefully they will be here by the end of the week.

In the mean time, I picked up all the vaious fittings & valves for the watercooling setup today, along with some pieces of 1/2" acrylic to make the resevoir out of. The overall dimensions of the res will be 5 3/4" x 8 1/2" x 6 1/2", with two inlets, two outlets and a filler tube attached.

I'm planning on having the res finished tommorow, and then polish the PSU for the watercooling setup on Wednesday. By this weekend I'm hoping to start the case mods on the case for the dual Opterons and have that case finished by the end of next week so I can start on the mods for the w/c case.

Bill

Last edited: 1 Nov 2004
  2. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

That is some serious hardware you have there :jawdrop: .

Can't wait to see it getting under way.

3. Zinet

Zinet What's a Dremel?

for us not living in UK kan you say what 42" is in meter ?

4. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Subscribed!, gotta see where this one goes...

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

6. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

<subscription reason="killer_hardware" smilys_to_be_used_often=" :baby: :rock: :dremel: :clap: :naughty: :jawdrop: " >

i gota see this

7. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

This one is a must, bring it on bad boy

8. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Wow, I'm really surprised to see all the positive responses already.

I started work on the resevoir tonight, I just have to drill out the holes for the fittings tommorow and I'll post the first pics.

Bill

9. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

that sounds so badass i cant wait to see this

10. Ulloa

Ulloa What's a Dremel?

subscribe

Last edited: 1 Nov 2004
  11. Bradish

Bradish What's a Dremel?

Not to uh, sound greedy :naughty: or anything, But might you grace us with the presence of a picture of all your supplies? (cases and whatnot)

Thanks, and good luck
    -Brad

12. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Pics??? As the rules say, you gotta have pics. Monster Stats tho One question - Dosent longhorn (XP 64 bit) only run on the amds or because there is a dual operons the bits are added so 32+32=64?

Last edited: 2 Nov 2004
  13. sKuLLs

sKuLLs What's a Dremel?

throwing around that much cash ya might as well get a fist sized jemstone in the center case as well bro. In the meantime, Ill be keepin my eye on this. Can't wait for some pics

14. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

Opterons are 64-bit.

When you run a dual-CPU set up, the capabilities of the processors aren't changed, but their capacity is. For instance, a program that required 80% of a single Athlon 2800+ will require about 45% of total CPU capacity on a dual setup. But, a 64-bit program won't run on two 32-bit processors.

15. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I think you should give us some pictures as soon as possible. From experience I may tell you your project will otherwise be moved to modding :) I wouldn't want that. I would like to see what happens when you put three towers on top of each other :)

16. 731|\|37

i think your confuzed. first off XP 64 bit edition isn't lnghorn, longhorn is a whole new OS, and XP 64 bit edition is a recode of XP, second opretons are both 64bit and 32bit processors as well as the desktop versions and the P4 with 64bit extensions. :thumb:

17. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

I can't wait til this gets underway! :jawdrop:

Lets see the pics!!! Subscribed!!

18. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Ok, here is an update....

Picked up the hoses and fittings today, and started work on the resevoir. The new cases, motherboard and CPUs should be here by Friday. On to some pictures......

Here is a pic of my current setup:
    [​IMG]

Here is my server wall:
    [​IMG]
    Originally all of the machines were set up as a Beowolf cluster, then I switched them all over to Windows Servers (DC, Mail, Web, File) one of them is running Linux with Asterisk to controll my VoIP service and connect with my Cisco 7960 IP phones. Most of this stuff is coming down though and getting sold off.

This is the begining of a custom acrylic res:
    [​IMG]
    I am using 1/2" thick acrylic (I'll explain why in my next post, which will detail the res build start to finish), the solvent is an industrial strength acrylic cement which basically melts the acrylic togeather into a single piece for a nice water tight seal.

Bill

--Edit:
    Fixed image links, I hope :)

Last edited: 2 Nov 2004
  19. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

Hmmnn all I can see are red X's

20. 731|\|37

no red X's for me i see that server wall in all its glory... it makes me so happy :waah: