1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fresh Internet Explorer bug gets exploited

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 3 Nov 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

But it's only highly critical if you haven't got SP2, according to the Inq:

A HIGHLY critical vulnerability has been discovered in Microsoft Internet Explorer and an exploit has already been seen on a public mailing list.

According to the security advisory outfit Secunia, the flaw can be exploited remotely and an attacker could execute arbitrary code on a victim's machine.

The flaw is caused by a boundary error in the way IE handles certain attributes in the IFRAME HTML tag.

A cracker could use a buffer overflow via a malicious HTML document containing overly long strings in the "SRC" and "NAME" attributes of the IFRAME tag.

According to the Secunia advisory, the vulnerability exists in Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP SP1 and Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows 2000.

XP SP2 machines are immune to the problem.

L'inquage

2. quack

quack Minimodder

Not much help if you're not using XP though is it. :D

3. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

"vulerability found if you haven't updated your machine"

4. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Only if they don't update yes, but how many people don't update until Microsoft says this virus will affect you and you should really update now. Usually most people either don't update because they don't know how or that they could (See most desk job and unfrequent home users) or they don't want to due to problems aquired by the update (See most home users and larger corporation IT departments).

5. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

thats why i dont use IE, FIREFOX ALL THE WAY :rock: :rock:

6. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Are there any plans whatsoever to release a completely new version of IE?
    And I don't mean in the nest OS version, or just for XP, etc etc.

It's about time they did tbh.
    Yes there is Firefox & others Iuse firefox myself) but what about the other 80%+ of people, and what about businesses which use IE for a lot of stuff nowadays (intranets etc.)?

7. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

I'm still stuck in the dark ages with Win98SE, but I wonder...

Is there any sort of anti-piracy measure in the SP2 upgrade? It seems so simple to plug this hole -- just install the SP2 upgrade! What if that upgrade has some sort of tracking software in it to help Microsoft track people who are pirating Windows?

I know this is venturing into conspiracy theory territory for some of you, but I think that it still bears consideration.

Nezuji :)

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

SP2 includes a list of popular pirate serials and won't install if the OS has one (SP1 also had a smaller list). Not conspiracy theory, MS say so.

Tags: Add Tags