1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What car to buy?

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 3 Nov 2004.

?

Which Car

1. VX220T

70.0%
  2. Boxter

15.0%
  3. Other (Specify)

15.0%
  1. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

penski is right, the new lotus' use a toyota engine iirc

and whats wrong with the k series engine, there good engines

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

The VX would beat a lotus Elise any day, only the Extige is better. Besides, there are over 16k elises registered in the uk, and only 650 of the VXT's. VX's are less common.

3. chadwick

chadwick What's a Dremel?

an S2000

/waits for the chav comments

4. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

OK My bad (to be fair Penksi’s right and I was trying to remember info from a while back, hell he even likes chevettes :D ), I'm not saying the K is a bad engine, in fact it's the only good thing in MG Rovers of the last few years. What I was trying (badly) to get at was the how different the VX and the Elise are. They started as very similar cars on the drawing boards, but evolved after that. That said I'm still saying go for the VX over the Boxster. I don't race cars anymore and having 'this car that might not be quite as fast as that car' isn't a problem to me, a few 10th's of a second on a lap are not important. The difference between the VX and the Elise on the road is negligible.

The VX is more comfortable and the hood goes up faster (I said that before I think).

(thanks god I put on nomex y-fronts)

5. penski

penski BodMod

No they're not.

They're fragile, they are quite hard to tune, they're not very torquey, you have to rev the bollocks off them and the head gaskets are about as strong as a wet tissue.

The Ford Duratec, on the other hand, is one hell of a good engine. The new Caterham 7 uses it.

The best Elises are ones without K series engines: VW 1.8T, Duratecs, Cosworth YB, Vauxhall 2l 16v (or even LET ;))...

The VX220 pisses all over the Elise, to be fair.

*n

6. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

But.....its FUGLY....

No competition tbh. The bodyshell of the VX220 was / is still made by lotus, iirc. Exige mate. In silver. With the black alloys. And blacked out windows.

How about a TVR? (Ahahah! the plot thickens!)

7. :: Phat ::

Already considered a Cerbera, can get insured on it for the slightly lighter side of £2k, but I the reliability issues are too worrying, I've had a word with someone who had one, and they had a few problems. Problem is, the nearest TVR dealer is in Blackpool, which is a good 2 hours drive away. The Cerbera has such a welcoming interior... :jawdrop:

8. WireFrame

This is true. I've seen some poor muppet pushing his flip-tone cerbera along, I felt quietly smug.

LYNQ

No, its not mine. Obviously. Unless you mean the white POS behind it. Thats more my style atm. :worried:

9. penski

penski BodMod

I'd still have a VX220T over an Exige...The K series is a nice engine and all...but I wouldn't want to own one in any state of tune other than standard. Plus they're rather harsh for a road car.

TVRs...They're okay if you like hanging out at the side of motorways, waiting for someone to come fix your Trevor.

How about a Ferrari? Dunno about insurance but you could get a decent car for ~£20k, surely - a Mondial or similar?

*n

10. penski

penski BodMod

Last edited: 9 Nov 2004
  11. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

But what if he needs a roof :worried:

These two are on the shortlist for the car me an the missus are looking to buy late next year.

The Boxster is by all accounts - and the are many - a great car. Considered by some the ultimate mid-range roadster. But it is pretty stereo typed and there's also the 'you should have bought a 911' mentality. However a similarly aged 911 is much more expensive...

The VX however is a great out and out sports car, it's rare and looks great. But it's designed for a different purpose. I still think it's the one I'd go for.

Have you come accross www.vx220.org.uk The forums are nay too bad.

12. :: Phat ::

Already a member :p

I've been giving VERY serious thoughts to a TVR Cerbera. Looks nice, looks FAB inside, respected, speeds that BEAT the VX220T.

Cons, Fuel Cost (I know a friend in the LPG trade tho) and Reliability*

* - This would be a car I would take for a garage "checkup" rather regulary though.

It all depends on how much money I can scrape together by March/April time.

13. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

you know what i would do

buy a big fast estate car
    remove rear seats
    wall it

then yoau hve engine speed and bouncing speed :D

14. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

How about a Honda NSX. I here you can get a cracking one for about 20 grand. You can get em serviced at normal Honda dealerships and a full service including a cam bet change is only a grand - which is pretty cheap consideing it's a proper supercar.

Plus the older ones have pop up head lights :clap:

15. olv

olv he's so bright

You can get TVR Tuscans for ~£20k now... mmmmm so ugly and so pretty all at the same time.

an NSX would be sweet though!

16. :: Phat ::

I know ;) Problem is, hardly any of the online quoting usual Insurance Brokers (I.E Cheaper) list Tuscans.. so they're probably going to be inhumanly expensive to insure :(

I'm looking at the 225bhp TT's too at the moment, I know, common and considered a girl car. But it is Audi and is a sexy car.. Plus the 225bhp block can be nicely tuned :D

17. WireFrame

Phat, what the hell do you do for a job?!

EDIT: EXIGE!

18. :: Phat ::

I'm an I.T Manager or as Computerweekly says I should be naming myself Chief Information Officer :p

I also have a business ;)

19. dom_

dom_ --->

tvr sucky, look nice.
    Everyone i know who has owned one knows everyone else locally who own one. This is because they always meet at the garage while they are being repaired. The build quality is bad too, back in the day when my dad had a tvr the left door had to be lifted as you pulled it shut otherwise it wouldnt fit.

20. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

get the TVR.its a sweet sweet car.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2004