1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Upgrading the Non-Upgradable

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Joe_Stereo, 6 Nov 2004.

1. Joe_Stereo

Joe_Stereo What's a Dremel?

Background : I was taking a look in the scrap pile at work, when I came across what I thought was an old mac computer. Turns out it was an old AST Advantage! 4050d. I took it home and turned it on. Sure it was nice, windows 3.1, some apps and games here and there, but I wanted more power. So here is my project log for me taking an old 486 with an overwhelming 4mb of ram and upgrading it to a 1gHz Petium 3 with 256mb of ram and windows xp. (Yeah I know I could do better, but I'm working with what I have availiable.)

** I started taking photos a little later into the project so, you will be missing out on photos for what I have already done.

The hardest part sofar was figuring out how to make the monitor and fan turn on without having the original motherboard pluged in. It doesn't seem to be a standerd at or atx powersuply, so after about 3 hours of resarch and no luck I resorted to just guessing and testing. Sucess!

Wellsofar all I have to show is the fan I replaced. It was a standerd computer fan with nothing special about it so I replaced it with a fancey LED one. :naughty:
    I dunno if it will be bright enough to shine though since its located in the middle of the case, but its great non-the-less.

PHOTOS:
    Here is the case, shelled for all its worth at a distance.
    [​IMG]

Here is a closer shot of the fan just installed:
    [​IMG]

And here is the fan working in all its beauty:
    [​IMG]

I will get some pics of the whole case itself up soon, untill then you will have to look at the link provided.

2. Joe_Stereo

After many headaches, i finally got a stable picture out of the display. When i wired it up several times to different VGA extension cables, i would always get the same result: a verticaly scrolling picture in any mode, even in the bios. Although, i still dont know what the problem is, enabling composite sync seemed to stabilize the picture. But now the picture is very pink. I will try a better cable.

Sorry to not put this first, but here is the PC in question. This hot little number will be singing to the tune, of a much more appealing tune of 1Ghz.
    [​IMG]
    If you notice in the picture, the case seems a bit empty. I haven't put any of the components in yet. I'm testing the monitore with my computer, before i start craming the ATX board where it does'nt belong.

This is the wiring of the VGA cable, dont be affraid to point out problematic wiring to me. I havent modified a monitor before.
    [​IMG]

3. Joe_Stereo

It is really purple! What should i doooooo?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Nov 2004
  4. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

nice project :) well what you could do, is to buy a lcd monitor, and insert it instead of that old one. that way, you could save some space. or check if it is anything magnetic near the monitor (my screen turnes red when I hold the keyboard up against the monitor).

If all else fails; scream and run in circles...

5. Joe_Stereo

Wow, your keyboard? I really want to use this monitor though. If i buy an lcd, it'll be for this comp.

6. Taznc

Taznc What's a Dremel?

Hey, in my networking class we have a moniter that is purple too heh....the only thing i can think of is that maybe the green tube is bad?

7. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

In my project I hit a similar problem, but I don't document it in the project log. I had to solder all the wires and a new header off the back of my graphics card. If ANY of the color pins, shorted to another pin, the associated color wouldn't work. SO my best guess is that something is wrong with your green pin (could be shorted to its ground, or another ground or the connection could be closed) cheers hope that helps

8. Joe_Stereo

The monitor was working normally with the original hardware. Unless i shorted something out. I still think its in my connection, it would be best to yank a VGA cable off of an old monitor, and rig it up to the actual pin out on the back of the monitor's processing board. Right now (fear of touching the tube) i extended the current cable. Probably something bad along the way.

9. Joe_Stereo

Adjusting the green did barely anything, hmmmm.

[​IMG]

10. Joe_Stereo

[​IMG]

Oh boy! How am i going to cram this new board, an HDD, and full power supply into a cerial box sized case, and keep it cool!? Keep checking back to find out.

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

lol, when did bit-tech become the 6"o"clock news?

12. Acid Burn

...Didn't get that one... :worried:

13. Joe_Stereo

Well, might as well start working on the PC aspect of this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The power supply will just make it! I have to remove the case and it's fan. I will relocate the fan to the nice empty spot at the back of the case ( left in the below pic). There will be no floppy drive anymore, so that gives up some much needed real estate.

[​IMG]

Im starting to think now if i should keep this stock looking, or paint it and add plexy. If I do that i think it will be high gloss white and aluminum, with a window at the top of the monitor with vent holes in rows.

14. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

oi...that hurts.

Ever watch the news? They keep you hooked with, "check back later," and, "tune in next time." Read the post above mine (my orig. one), and it might make more sence now.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

lol, nice. just got that. [/offtopic] nice mod, i think it would actually look cooler if you did the high-gloss white and aluminum, keep it looking sterile. do an XP theme the same way, and you got yourself a cool-looking rig :thumb:

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Agreed. The odd case is meant to be the highlight in this mod. You don't want to detract from that with "gimicky" mods or colours.

17. Acid Burn

:idea: ahh i see :idea:

:hehe: