1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling the PCB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 731|\|37, 10 Nov 2004.

?

Do you think cooling your PCB would help?

1. A possible preformance increase

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Nope not enough to matter/crazy idea

24 vote(s)
    77.4%
  1. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

hers some food for htought to all you with enough money to delve into extreme cooling.

most of here have been through highschool chemistry. if so we know that as conductors are cooled they loose resistance, now how much preformance gain do you think you could get if every signal esnt through your MOBO and GFX card got faster? do you think it wouldbe signifigant?

2. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

ummm i dont think that if they run cooler the signals get sent faster :confused: i could be wrong but i doubt theres any way to make the *signals* faster

3. mime genocide

mime genocide What's a Dremel?

if your talking no air flow vs. 50cfm you might have a differnce but anything more probaly won't help you any.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I imagine it wouldn't work. This sort of stuff wouldn't become noticeable until you hit superconduction temps (like minus 100-something C) and by then most components will have failed because that is way outside their operating temp spec. Also the board is carefully designed to compensate for signal delays (which is why certain tracks, for instance, are exactly the length they are). If you start messing with that, it will all go to cock.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes they would. But in practice, it's not enough for a noticeable performance gain in a normal system anyway... :)

6. bimy

bimy What's a Dremel?

I think its more like stuff has to be warm (warm, not cooking) to work well... Freezing it would probably make it slower.

7. dom_

dom_ --->

not with electricity, as the atoms in the item that is freezing will be less excited and so will not be vibrating much. this means the resistance of the item would be less.
    but... you have to think that if you did this resistance values would be different no?
    and as stated the components would die anyway along with the board.
    as you would need to have the whole board sealed from moisture which would not be easy.

Best things to cool on a mobo if you are going for extremem cooling, other than cpu and northbridge, are the mosfets.

8. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Don't know exactly... and I guess the different is soooo small, but doesn't the reverse happen with Silcon? Where 8-ball and his knowledge gone when you need him?