1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quake Machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gizmo, 21 May 2004.

?

Continue with modding even if it is a AT

1. Yes. Continue

80 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No. Start with another mod that is an ATX

50 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Gizmo

Gizmo What's a Dremel?

Well guy's I have started a poll. Please vote, and if you have any sugestions please post them.

2. putiikki

putiikki What's a Dremel?

I voted atx, because at case will be pain to you. It's too small, and you can't upgrade it with faster atx components. And best use with at case is put server on it, and ofter server is somewhere where you can't see it. ;)

3. Protius-X

Protius-X What's a Dremel?

Keep going. If you are questioning yourself about having to mod the chassis to fit an atx mobo kick yourself in the head. Its only a mod doesn't need to have guts to be a mod. Put in AT guts and make a firewall box.

4. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

hey gizmo! been looking forward to this project :) i think you should start with a new atx, but i think it will be coolest if you pick a totally plain and simple case. and make as much as you can, yourself. that way it will be more special than if you buy pre modded parts. :)

good luck mate! :thumb:

5. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

continue if was a really nice or special AT case, not really worth the hassel otherwise!

6. apHytHiaTe

apHytHiaTe What's a Dremel?

I also say you should get a simple, cheapo case, and make it good, but you should kinda finish this mod up first. I'll be the nicest, coolest looking 486 out of anyone's here ;)

7. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

i say keep going. you already have time, money and energy in to this case so why not finish it?

8. Gizmo

Gizmo What's a Dremel?

Allright you dude's you have changed my mind. I gona fishis this mod and it's gona be the coolest 486 there is :D as apHytHiaTe said. And I got an perfect old VooDoo 2 3DFX card last week. I had one for 5 years ago and it was the coolest thing I ever had. That card is going DEFENALY in this case. Well the next step is going around the eges from what I cutted out with a soldering iron so it looks like its cutted out with a lazer :hip:

9. Gizmo

Gizmo What's a Dremel?

Lazer Update

Yeah. I tried to go around the eges with a soldering iron of what I have cutted out, plan worked out. The pic are fresh from the cam, Well here it goes.

First I tried it but the (don't know the english name so i do it dutch) Tin would not stik on the case, it is sitting on it and if you move the case it fell of.
    [​IMG]
    The only thing I could think of was to get the dremmel and cut of the places where paint was where I wanted the Tin to stik (was a hard dicision).
    [​IMG]
    Well as you will see it works fine on this place
    [​IMG]
    So I did the top, didn't had time to do the sidepannel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well that was that. The next thing to do is the same as this but then on the sidepannel where the quake logo is. Do you guy's have any idea's of what I could do with the frontpannel
    [​IMG]
    (pic's are blury will make new one's)
    Any idea's are welcome

10. Josh2k3

Josh2k3 What's a Dremel?

-bondo the power and reset buttons and make some new ones elsewhere,
    -do the same with the cd and disk fronts u dont use
    -spray it in a nice color
    -make a blowhole

and if possible - try to remove the "dumbs" at the bottom of ur frontpanel - they look awefull

g'luck!

11. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

I DID mention this before (at least I MEANT to, not sure if I did though)......

You ARE aware that the logo you are using is NOT the Quake logo, but the Quake 2 logo arent you???

The 'Q' in Quake has 1 vertical line, in Quake 2 it has 2 vertical lines and in Quake 3, it has 3 vertical lines (be interesting to see how they incorporate 'IV' into a Q for Quake 4........

Flymo

12. Protius-X

Protius-X What's a Dremel?

^Yes he is aware as he already stated if you read the whole thread! He likes Q2 better iirc or the logo better. Anyway, I'm glad you decided to continue with this mod its going to be awesome! Keep up the good work.

13. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Ok just out of curiosity why not just mod this case to hold an atx setup. If the problem is the back panel then mack your own back that is what im doing i could give a somewhat acurate template to make a new atx back plate.

14. Gizmo

Gizmo What's a Dremel?

Well the problem is that the case is to small to fitt an ATX mobo in it :grr:

15. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

have you considered smaller ATX mobos?
    btw, front panel, , do the q2 and id logo, bondo a 3d image? :D

16. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Like bozo said use a micro atx mobo. oh and i would suggest since most at cases use screws to hold front panel in to just make a new panel. That one would take alot of bondo if you wanted to get that bottom and stuff out. WOuldnt be 2 hard to make out of metal of plexi or some material im sure you could find somthin.

17. Gizmo

Gizmo What's a Dremel?

Yes, I was thinking to have 3 5" bay's and to put a cd drive in it, take the cover of it, make a plexi plate in front of the 3 bay's and engrave the quake 2 logo in it, put some leds around the plexi and there is a quake logo that lights up :hip: . And a 3d image is great :thumb: gona try to make the ID logo 3d then.

I could try that, but I aint so good in making that sort of stuf, but I think I am gona take the shot.

18. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

The reason you didn't have time have anything to do with the contents of that crate did it?

Keep up the good work.

19. the_fox

the_fox What's a Dremel?

Impossible, Heineken is equal to piss :p

anyway, keep up the good work ;)

20. Gizmo

Gizmo What's a Dremel?

Well........As you can see there is only 1 bottle that's not empty so I already had CONTACT with the crate :p