1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project "Got Milk?" UPDATE 23/12 Finnished just in time for Christmas

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Constructacon, 31 Oct 2004.

1. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

don't know if you'll see this in time, but it could be cool to try and get a (rough) iMac look - ie milk coloured.

good work so far - keep us posted...

2. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Hey, nice to see another Brisbane modder :thumb:
    My brother purchased one of those "discshop" cases but it was to cheap and small to actuly fit a full sized atx mobo in it by about 2cm, the 5 1/2" racks overlapped the motherboard tray. Anyway I like what you are doing here starting to shape up, Keep up the good work :dremel:

3. Ph33r Viper

Ph33r Viper What's a Dremel?

Hey,

Im from the sunshine coast Here one hour up from Brisbane here in Australia. :rock:

i would like to buy some modding tools for my birthday, then chrismmas i would like to do a modding project myself.

i like the original idea of the milk crate idea. it :rock:

4. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Sweet. 3 people from Brisvegas and one from the Sunshine Coast all on the one thread. It's like our own little sub-community :D

/me gets excited over the smallest little thing.

/Offtopic

I never fitted anything into this case. It was purely bought because it carried and "organ donor" card. The only reason it was intact 5 minutes after I brought it home was so I could take photos of it. I was hoping to use the CD and HDD racks from this case but they are just too cheap and nasty to use. I will have to fabricate something else from scratch. I guess you can't expect a whole heap for 10 bucks these days can you?

5. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

well actually I know where you can get umm carnal pleasures for 10 bucks.

I like the case. I think that when you wrap the whole thing at the end you use a color. Maybe a dark tint with alot of lights on the inside. OR maybe even make it into a giant Rubic's Cube.

6. Constructacon

Hmm. Rubics cube... It was pain in the arse enough trying to get only 1 colour into all those cracks, let alone 6. I still have to paint the case in the final colour. I'm justifying the delay to myself by saying that it's still too wet to paint using enamel and I have to let the primer properly "bond" to the plastic.

Oh look. On the label it says max. adhesion after 3-4 days. /me feels justified. :D

7. Sozialcyke

Sozialcyke What's a Dremel?

While I think the concept is evil (I'm lactose intolerant), I think the execution so far is looking good. Hope you get it done in time for X-Mas. Post more when you have it.

8. Tos

Tos What's a Dremel?

Ghetto Modding in all it's glory !!

keep on :dremel: !
    :D

9. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Ohhh.... this is rich! Almost reminds me of Idle Hands....

This is going to rock! Good call on the milk crate = college furniture! Not too shabby!
    :thumb:

I'm following this one!

10. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Looking good, what a pain in the rear to paint..and you brushed it! What did you end up using to cut the milk crate? I like your PSU power cord extensions, shows a lot of foresight and is a neat solution for a DAYG!

Nice Avatar btw.

11. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Actually I was thinging of of those wrap type things. Get a sheet cut it and put it over the acrylic at the end.

Don't worry about taking your time we arnt going anywhere.

12. Constructacon

Interesting idea. I think I understand what you mean - you mean put multicoloured contact (sheet sticky vinyl) on the inside of clear acrylic so it can be seen? After careful consideration I have decided upon (what I hope will be) a kickarse looking solution. Whatever could it be? We will just have to wait :D

We aren't going anywhere, but only 40 more sleeps until Christmas. Don't forget, Got Milk? = Christmas present.

So much time, so little to do. Strike that, reverse it.

13. greywolf

/Me puts on shiny tin foil hat.

Perhaps window tinting, either dark or shiny!
    So when the interior case lights come on you can see inside?

How's my esp working?

14. Constructacon

/me shakes head. You need to move out of the shiny basement to get better reception [check out greywolf's Pinky2 lair]. I maaaaaaaaaaaaay put window tinting in a small window but I have other plans. All shall be revealed.....

.....just not right now :p

I have spent a lot of today painting the case. Comprehensive pics on the next update.

15. Constructacon

Update time!

Painting still continues so there will be no photos of this juuuuuuuust yet. This paint is slow going stuff and is hard to work with. Hammer tone paint is a paint with a modified surface tension. When it's painted on it "pulls" toward it'self in little lumps (bad description). If you paint it too thin you see right through the paint. Paint it too thick and it starts to sag. :( It takes a long time to dry properly so I am trying to go patiently with this stage of the mod.

Good news though. While this paint is drying I have had lots of time to concentrate on other phases of the build.

Remember how I said I wasn't going to void the waranty on the PSU?
    [​IMG]
    I lied :D I bought some split loom and began to sleeve the wires. Trying to untangle the mess of wires up near the box was impossible so....... goodbye waranty.

[​IMG]
    All finnished. No more spaghetti. I don't know what mobo my brother will put in this thing yet so I left the extra cable that pentiums seem to use (but I shall try to steer him from the darkside). I also have left the floppy connector . Even though there will be no floppy in this case, you never know - it may be a feature one day, so best to leave it for now.

For the drive activity I'm using a modified version of the HDD/power LED (thanks Macroman) to display drive activity. Both HDD and CD will trigger it. To do this we first need to make a few changes to the CD ROM.

[​IMG]
    Here is our brand new LG CD ROM drive awaiting "enhancement"

[​IMG]
    "Disassemble, Stephanie"

[​IMG]
    Here I've desoldered the activity LED and replaced it with a jumper lead from the donor case. I've gone for the whole portability thing here again. You'll see it's one of the major themes in this case. I'm a big believer of making it plug and play. If something goes wrong with this I want my brother to just be able to unplug the faulty part so he can give it to either myself of dad to repair for him (or he'll have to learn real quick).

[​IMG]
    Testing to make sure the cable works. It worked first time. I love that. I was a bit nervous as this was the first time I had cracked open something brand new purely for the sake of making it "better". I have no such reservations about old/faulty stuff.

[​IMG]
    Got Milk? Doesn't look like it to me.

[​IMG]
    A couple of coats of high gloss white spraypaint.

[​IMG]
    CD re-assembled and looking all milky. This is the first of the milky components to go in.

[​IMG]
    Lastly I started the repair on the mobo tray I accidently cut using the angle grinder on the first day of this project. I bought some metal cement and using and offcut from the tray I "glued" it all back together. I actually used a mini G-clamp to hold it all together overnight. Now it's the strongest part of the tray.

Well that's it from me for today. I'm off to try build the drive activity circuit. Catch you next time.

16. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Love the idea. Subscribing.

- H.

17. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Coming along nicely. Might you want to toss some Chocolate Milk into the crate???

18. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

That is starting to look sweet. As The Don said:
    I think it's a good idea, altouhg your brother has to look inside before actually seeing the chocolate, but then he'll see the hard wotk you've done. Right?

19. greywolf

Looking good. I have been learning all about the "void the warranty" stuff, it seems that nothing is good enough as it comes...it MUST be modded!
    Like the milky parts...can't wait to see how the paint is turning out on the case. One question. Your brother is supplying the mobo, and he doesn't have it yet? I assume he already knows about his xmas present then :).

20. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Total offtopic: I like your avatar greywolf...