1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Not To Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 5 Nov 2004.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

Agree totally, great article :thumb:

3. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

There's certainly some truth there. Remember though, its a fine line between being honest and trying to help someone improve their modding, and ending up dissing their hard work.

At bit-tech we try and encourage people to be friendly, positive, constructive and encouraging. :)

Better to tell someone how they might improve something, not where they went wrong - positive, not negative. The TV shows Kna talks about prefer the latter. As a modder, I prefer and encourage the former. :dremel:

Just because the sad reality is that some forums like to allow out-and-out rudeness under the guise of 'honesty' doesn't mean we like it here. Honest is good, positive is better. At the end of the day, treat others how you would like others to treat you. :)

Last edited: 6 Nov 2004
  4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

loller, good read. Agree, nice one/

5. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Really great article, I totally agree.

Tip: When people ask about your opinion and you have
    to be constructive, use kind words so you don´t end up
    in a hard discuss.

6. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Very good, and very true. Your comment about those who get bogged down withi the same stuff every day reminds me of myself...in the past few month's I've become the Simon Cowell of Moddin'.net...not because I am a sadistic *******, it's because you really do get sick of saying the same thing over and over...and you just wan tit to all go away with minimum effort. Ok, maybe I am a sadistic *******.

Keep it up, Chris...I always enjoy reading your articles and this is no exception.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In psychology training we have a feedback protocol for role plays (of therapy sessions). As it is rather daunting to have your clinical prowess (or lack thereoff) exposed in front of a dozen observing fellow trainees, with another who has deliberately been instructed to be your nightmare-scenario patient ("Ok, for this role play I'd like you to pretend you're a decompensating psychotic borderline personality disorder who has just lost her mum, and is currently viciously dissociating and delusional. Oh, and you turned up for session drunk"), feedback is designed to be somewhat more sensitive and constructive. The rules are:

1. Say something positive (i.e. something you liked);
    2. Propose what in your opinion could be done differently;
    3. Give an example of how you might do it;
    4. anyone can ask for time-out.

So I'd suggest we could do the same here. Time-out, in this context, would be to drop a topic if the thread/question starter requests it (rather than labour it to a painful death), and move on.

Having said that, I really do wish people would :search: more often. Often people ask questions to which they could have found the answer quite easily if they had just spent 5 seconds punching two keywords into Google (or even the Forum Search). Research is a skill, but not a difficult one. ;)

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Yeah, good article.

A difference I see within forums is that it's easier for people with grudges or those who've been upset by another comment to say something rude or unnecessary, simply because there is no chance for physical consequence.

9. robdos

robdos What's a Dremel?

Great Article.

I get particularly annoyed in another forum by one guy who flames anyone for water cooling. Its always they same argument, cost, maintenance, risk etc.

He is however the most respected member for his overclocking talents...but he just cant leave it be, everyone is different...right?

Tags: Add Tags