1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Dell should adopt AMD Athlon 64s for their Gaming PCs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 13 Nov 2004.

1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Read it here

Feel free to argue my points, agree, or disagree-or add statements of your own. Please try to be nice though, and keep it clean. :)

2. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

I agree. AMDs are cheaper, perform better, and have more options for overclocking. Price per performance is far better. Dell won't do it because everyone knows Intel while most dudes that already got a dell have never heard of AMD.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I agree with user on this, AMD's are a bloody excellent processor, with a very good potential to overtake Pentium's at this point, but it will be difficult to persuade someone like Dell to take them up simply because the general public have probably been weaned onto Pentiums since they were little, so they might have scepticism about changing their flavour. In all fairness, we don't know whether Dell have secret contract with Intel to stop them changing flavour... Perhaps Dell are juts being stubbourn and awaiting the next-generation Intel processors (64-Bit and 65nm process?). A tough decision for Dell i'm sure...

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Hmm, if a BIG system builder like Dell moves into A64 territory, maybe it will encourage
    ATI to indulge in a little "digital extraction"* and produce some decent 64-bit drivers. :thumb:

*="get their collective finger out" :D

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Its simple economics and politics. Dell have an agreement with Intel who supply their processors at more than likely extremely low prices. In this agreement they probably have agreed not to supply anyone elses processors. This gurentee's Dell will sell their stuff, and not have an excess of "overpriced and underperforming" Intel machines, so they dont have to cut the prices on them or over-inflate the price of the AMD machines (which AMD probably wouldnt want and wont sell to Dell if that happens).

Its ALWAYS Business economics and politics BEFORE customer preferance. The sooner people learn that business' are only out to look after no.1 the less whinging we will see.

6. MadAsABadger

MadAsABadger What's a Dremel?

I agree, I reckon that Intel would do anything to stop Dell doing down the AMD route, Dell have been loyal to Intel for a long time.

From my experience AMD have more of a 'build your own' following due to their pricing etc, although it does not get them the same volume of sales Intel get they have grown so much in the last 5 years and in the enthusiast community loads of people base their systems around which ever AMD CPU is best value at the time.

Personally I see Intel for newbies buying PC's of the shelves from the big stores etc, or serious overclockers with more money than sense trying to break the 4Ghz barrier without frying their PC!

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, a lot of smaller companies do AMD based PCs to undercut the bigger ones on price: performance. The only thing Dell offer is a brand name and purchase security.
    Although AMDs Opteron range is changing their way of doing things a bit.

I suppose overclocking your prescott is cost effective in a way; you can throw your oven out afterwards.

8. Monster63385

Monster63385 What's a Dremel?

First off it's doubtful that AMD can offer A64's to dell at a price that would make it attractive enough for them to bring the rath of Intel down on them as dell does have an exclusive contract with intel. Intel is big enough to sue even dell out of existence. Even with AMD's better performance and better overclocking, dell currently locks oc'ing ability out of thier computers, so its doubtful that they would allow oc'ing even if they did offer an A64. OC'ing is not attractive from a warranty or business standpoint. Besides it will never happen, Dell is like Intel's favorite child, yea they've had disagreements but they're never gonna move out of Intel's house.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well said :thumb:

10. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?