1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest PC ever =)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ensellitis, 14 Nov 2004.

1. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Cool!

You are doing what I was trying to do!... I have a couple friends that own a pc shop or two and I am gathering discarded case stuff and am going to use it for my low to no budget mods.... (All my money is going into my dirty little RC car!)
    dirty car 1 dirty car 2 HA! :hip: :rolleyes:

2. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

Extremely original idea! :rock: Mod on!! if nuthin else i hafta admire u for the huge gonads u must have to attempt somethin like this :hehe: Keep it up. *subscribed* :clap: :clap:

3. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

yeah,but a friend of mine, has an acrylic case, and he has four fans and is still whining about the temp :s

but still a nice project, looking forward to this

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

cool idea, though you seem to be a little inconsistent in whether things cost or not.
    e.g. Surely you had a pencil, or could have borrowed one?

5. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

So the whole things going to cost 10 or just the case or did you get lucky and find a working pc somewhere :eyebrow: Overall looks to be a great mod

6. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Read the thread man!

He already said that about three posts up.

He got a free 800MHz Dell from a grocery store.

BTW, looks cool, might have to try this myself.......

PS, installing XP on that comp _should_ have taken it over budget, but lets not talk about that..... :worried:

7. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I've done this a million times to get fans - just be careful - they can still hold a charge even if they haven't been used in a while.
    (Once I got to help scrap a CD-ROM tower. It had 21 2x SCSI CD-ROM drives, 2 power supplies with 80mm sun-on fans and 8 120mm sun-on fans running up and down the back of the case. Was great scrap. Anyone want a 2x SCSI cd-rom? I still have like 3 left, and this was 4 years ago.....)

8. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Nice job with the case. And then two things:
    First thing: I hate you, cause you are too lucky, find pc's and stuff...
    Second thing: Could you send me the theme, after you finish it?

9. ensellitis

ensellitis What's a Dremel?

The place I work at only had black markers, and those are no good for making cut lines, so I had to buy one to work on the case during my lunch...

A "friend" of mine has WindowsXP Pre activated, which he "donated" to the project...

1. Move to NYC, and you can find almost anything your heart desires...
    2. As soon as I am done with it, I will post it at my site, http://www.ensellitis.com

Today I didn't find much to use, so today I am going to work on my actual PC, it needs some TLC... Tommorow is garbage day in good old New York City. And the rich people throw out all kinds of good things... I got my desk, futon, and my entertainment center from those dumb people throwing it out.

I also need to get of my rear and finish up my site one of these days...

I was thinking earlier today about making a case completely out of coins... Since pennies are copper it would be like a huge heat sink, but that would be expensive and I am broke at present...

Anyways, tommorow I am going to make the face plate for the case front, make a cardboard faceplate for the CD ROM, make a mounting braket/system, mainly for the power supply, try to find some old fans or some form of cooling, and possible get started on some templates for a cardboard keyboard/mouse... =)

10. Bloody_Sorcerer

Bloody_Sorcerer What's a Dremel?

hmm... i got a reasonable penny collection. perhaps i could make a SFF case from them? Were you thinking stacked so that the wide way is parallel to the floor, or situated so that they're tall?
    This case is awesome! Hurry up and finish it and the windoze theme :)

11. ensellitis

For the penny case I would build the frame by stacking the pennies and for the side panels I would lie them flat... Then I will find a laser engraver and make a window that looks like a bill of some sort. =)

The case is going to take some more work, i am tring to figure out how to mount the PSU which will not cause the whole thing to collapse if it moved at all.

I was thinking of finding some metal plates and do some drilling, then i will use some of the 10 to buy that insulating foam that is really easy to carve. I did that with a few old projects of mine and the after effect is awsome if you know what you are doing, and if there is money left over I may just bondo the outside to harden it up...

I found some 6 foot steel rods, I forget the gauge, but they are as thick, about, as a molex wire... So I think I will use them for support. I figure about 12 on the back panel, and 6 or 7 on the sides... Since the material I am using for the case will spray little static clingy white pieces all over when i break through, I am going to practice the technique and some ideas of mine on some scrap pieces, I think if I heat them up they will slide through very easily with no problem.

I think I can even use one rod to make a hinged side panel.

I got to work on the windowblind theme tonight, it has been so long since I have made one it is turning out to be a huge pain...

I will get some pics/screenshots of my progress to all of you asap, probably tommorow night.

12. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

IAHTEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOU!!!!!!

why cant i ever find PCs lke that :~{

GJ man

13. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Offtopic: Nice webpage...

14. Zero_Distortion

Zero_Distortion What's a Dremel?

crazy cheap new yorkers :)

15. dannyqball

dannyqball What's a Dremel?

I think your luck rubbed off on me, I'm building an acrylic case and have been looking all over town for some acrylic to make face plates and a template for a fan controller. everywhere I looked had huge sheets and were very expensive. At lunch today I found a place that had what I need and I only had to pay $3 for the sheet. :rock:

Good luck with the mod and the dumpster diving.

16. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

arent you a bit worried about static electricity? i know that styrofoam makes a lot of it, i'd hope you're not putting in decent components.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Surprisingly unghetto :thumb: Keep it up :dremel:

18. ensellitis

The components that are being put in are from the Dell I found. It doen't even have a port for a video card, so nothing great. =\

Static was pretty much cured from the heat resistant film that I sprayed the case with, I have done several tests including the old fashoioned rub it on my head and touch a door knob test. And nothing.

I created a Bit Tech.net logo from carboard and am mounting it on the front, along with a small list of sites that i got all the help for making it from.

Once finished I will be donating the computer to a nice family I met when I helped out at the shelter tonight, they are very low income and thier sons want to learn computers, so I will be giving them the PC along with 1 year of internet that I will be paying for... So that these kids can have a chance to suceed at something. So I am going to try and have this thing done by this weekend, so look for pictures soon...

19. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

whoa, awesome...... this is a great thing for cheap people like me ! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D

20. PeDRoRist

PeDRoRist What's a Dremel?

Then this is the greatest mod ever. Brilliant idea man. I wish more people were like you (including me).