1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 9700 Pro/HL2 Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JuMpErFLY, 19 Nov 2004.

1. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Just got 2 "refurbished" 9700 pros today, one for my parents and one for me. The card runs fine in 3dmark 03 and 05 but I am getting some problems in half life 2. Some textures are not displaying properly or something and I am getting crazy colourful patters instead, screenshots below. The card seems to work in everything else, and the problem is happening with BOTH cards which makes me think it might be a driver issue or a problem with half life 2 rather than a hardware problem. Anyone got any thoughts/suggestions?

Edit: Game was played there using 1024x768 full detail, not sure about aa/af
    I'm gonna have a play now and see when the problems occur and try as many other games as I can to see if they work ok
    Edit 2: The Problem only occurs when texture detail is set to high, everything is fine when it is on medium
    Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Nov 2004
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1) update your cats
    2) check its not overheating
    3) clock it down very slightly / turn off AA/AF / lower res / turn off any other optimisations?
    5) defrag harddisk?
    4) send it back - you may have a ram chip that's a bit knackered.

3. Gangsta

Gangsta Banned

yeah looks like a bug in the game/driver issue, try out the new catalyst 4.12 beta driver, if that dosn't help with the textures then it might be a bug in the game. if it is a game bug then wait for a patch to hopefully resolve this problem :thumb:

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Loop 3dmark03/05 for a couple of hours and see if you get any errors, or stick ATI-tool on....

5. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Problem solved,
    I uninstalled the drivers, ran a driver cleaner in safe mode, rebooted and installed some hl2 enhanced drivers based on 4.12 beta and now everything seems to be working fine. Will check stability etc with 3dmark and atitool over the weekend.

Thanks for the replies all

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

glad it's working, get on and enjoy HL2 :)

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Funny you should mention this...

I've just been trying to get a 9800Pro from retek working and while it boots perfectly fine into Windows and appears fine (the dxdiag test is a bit strange though, it kind of displays the dx9 cube spinning at a bout a million miles an hour!) it won't run The Sims 2 (whereas the previous GF2mx did!) I uninstalled as per Driver Cleaner instructions and it appeared to do its thing 100%. I tried ATITool but that crashes too. It locks up hard and I have to hit the reset button.

One thing - does it take a standard floppy drive power connector? ie it doesn't need an adapter that's wired slightly differently? I would have thought it was okay otherwise it wouldn't get into Windows, I would have thought.

Another thing is it's running off a psu that used to power my 9800pro just fine.

I tried setting the core and memory clocks low in ATITool and get it to check how fast it could run, but it crashes at 220core (should be 300-odd iirc).

I'm a bit confusd as to what has gone wrong, although I remember when I swapped my GF3 for my 9800pro and I had to reinstall WindowsXP as it fubared, although, as I say, I ran the driver cleaner.

Sigh, I guess a reinstall may be in order. Bugger.

btw, it gets as far as the Maxis logo in Sims2 then freezes/locks up.

I've tried to give it more juice in the bios (an ABit IS7-E2) but no go.

Tags: