1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V iRiver H300 series gets a firmware upgrade... and boy, does it pwn the iPod now.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lorquis, 20 Nov 2004.

1. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

So, it already looked better, could play more audio codecs, could view pictures, receive radio, record radio and voice directly to MP3, and view text... it could do all that.... Now it can play Video files too...

And I'm much a happy bunny for the fact my birthday giftage... was... yes.. you guessed it...

iRiver H340 :D

Downloading the update now so i'll tell y'all how good it is soon...but 40GB for audio and films... mmmmm bus ride pleasure!

Only downside is no LCD remote... but you can buy them seperately anyway... w00t!

So basicly.. if you're thinking of buying an iPod... just.. don't.

2. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Woohoo, this rocks so much. I've been wanting to upgrade the firmware for a while now, but haven't had the nerve. I take it you can get the firmware from the site?

*is excited* :D

[EDIT]Just did it and it's not bad at all. Quality isn't great, but that's down to the res of the screen. Got to find encode some anime in Xvid and see what happens :D .

Last edited: 20 Nov 2004
  3. chadwick

chadwick What's a Dremel?

eugh..iRivers are horrid looking tbh

4. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I've got the H120 and I love it. Looks sweet but could do with being a little thinner. Been waiting for the 'no skip between tracks' firmware for 6 months now.... I guess I know where they've been hiding their programmers now :waah:

5. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

so lemme get this straigh, the iriver h320 and 340 can play full movies??? as in its like a media center now????

6. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Well, it can only take XVid and at 10fps and with the limited resolution, but yes, i can play movies :) .

7. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

o lol, not quite an archos then eh!

8. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Hehe, no, but it's just something else it can add to it's CV :D .

Anyone tried playing anything other than the iRiver example film on their H300? I was going to try some anime or something, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

9. kenny

kenny What's a Dremel?

Me too, pretty diffcult to make it work. Anyone tried & succed, please let me know which software to use.

Thanks

10. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

I've heard VirtualDub been mentioned... if that helps :)

Anyone got any pics of their H340 they can post? I'm thinking of getting one at christmas and would like to see it in the flesh so to speak, rather than on their website.

Thanks

11. kenny

kenny What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried to use virualDub, however I still didn't suceed in getting the video played in h340. Anyone out there tried and suceed, please let me know the settings.

Thanks

12. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

iRiver as a company pwn... Ive got a 390T, amazing features for its size, iirc its got the same features as the H340 less the colour screen and the videoness, radio line in recording all in something thats sooo tiny, truly amazing. Also 1 big point is the firmware, suddenly an mp3 player is a video player cus the company can be arsed, wish iomega took a look out of irivers management manual.

13. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

linky plz

i downloaded it last night and it worked with the demo vid.
    now i cant find the site to get it from
    it was the europe download though
    and the sight was in english
    is it me or is there not an iriver uk site

14. ClaYt

ClaYt What's a Dremel?

How to convert Video to work on H300 series....

Hey all

I contacted iRiver the other day and they sent me this explaination of what I would need to convert video, where I can get it from, and how to use it. So far it has worked for all my video files.....thankyou goes to the great customer service at iRiver. :)
    Note - Those weird symbols mean nothing....dont worry about them.

Dear iRiver User,

Thanks for your email.
    How to convert a movie that is compatible with H300

1. Install software

1.1 Download VirtualDub (http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.6.1.zip)

1.2 Create a folder called ¡§VirtualDub¡¨. Then unzip all the files in virtualdub-1.6.1.zip to the folder.

1.3 Download LAME ACM MP3 Encoder (http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=44&s=21)

1.4 Create a folder called ¡§ LAME¡¨. Unzip all the files in LAMEACM.RAR to the folder.

NOTE: You may need to download WINrar to Unzip this file. Just Google search for it.

1.5 In the folder ¡§LAME¡¨. Place the cursor over the file LAMEACM.INF and right-click to open the pop-up menu. Select ¡§Install¡¨ to start to install.

1.6 Download ¡§K-lite Codec Pack¡¨(http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=449&s=95)

1.7 Install xvid codec.

2. Configure VirtualDub

2.1 Execute \VirtualDub\VirtualDub.exe

2.2 Open the pull-down menu, ¡§Video¡¨-> ¡§Filters¡¨-> ¡§Add¡¨-> ¡§Resize¡¨(Height 176, Width 220, Filter mode: Precise Bilinear)

2.3 Open the pull-down menu, ¡§Video¡¨-> ¡§Compression¡¨-> ¡§XVID MPEG-4 Codec¡¨-> ¡§Configure¡¨

2.4 In configuration, click the ¡§Target quantizer¡¨option to switch the option as ¡§Target Bitrate¡¨. Input the value of ¡§Target Bitrate¡¨below 350. Click ¡§OK¡¨ to exit the setting of ¡§Compression¡¨.

2.5 In Profile @ Level, click ¡§more¡K¡¨and then uncheck the checkbox of ¡§B-VOPs¡¨

2.6 Open the pull-down menu, ¡§Video¡¨ -> ¡§Frame Rate¡K¡¨. Select ¡§Change so video and audio durations match¡¨and set the option ¡§Convert to fps¡¨as 10.

2.7 Open the pull-down menu, ¡§Audio¡¨ -> ¡§Full processing mode¡¨.

2.8 Open the pull-down menu, ¡§Audio¡¨-> ¡§Compression¡¨-> ¡§LAME MP3¡¨-> ¡§44100KHZ,128KBPS CBR¡¨. If there is no such option, please open the pull-down menu ¡§Audio¡¨ -> ¡§Conversion¡¨ to adjust the setting of audio first.

2.9 Open the pull-down menu, ¡§File¡¨ -> ¡§Save processing image¡K¡¨ in order to save the setting for future use.

2.10 Open the pull-down menu ¡§File¡¨-> ¡§Open Video File¡¨. Select the source of the movie.

2.11 Open the pull-down menu ¡§File¡¨ -> ¡§Save as AVI¡¨. Input the filename of the output file.

If you have further enquiries, please feel free to contact us again.

Regards
    Shira

15. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

so how well does this play movies then? I mean, can ya watch ure fav action film in tiny vision or does it die soon as u put anything fast paced next to it?

Proph.

16. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Well I still don't like how the H300 series looks (I like the H100 series better), but those are some great features.

At least my iPod is still a music player. :)

Last edited: 18 Dec 2004
  17. Teletot

Teletot What's a Dremel?

18. azesty

azesty What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 13 Jan 2005
  19. deusiah

deusiah What's a Dremel?

I have an H100 series. I figured that 10fps vids on 2 inch sceen wasn't worth bothering with.

Plus I wanted it for music anyway. I have to say this device is great. For me the purchase of an iPod wasn't even a question. It dosn't support OGG a music player that only support MP3 and "the format that bares a name I dare not utter" (actually I just forgot the name :)) isn't a music player at all.

I don't know about you but I hate the muddied sound MP3's have.

20. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I'm thankful that my ears aren't good enough to hear all those differences between files and bitrates (>192kbps - I can't hear a difference) that some people do. It makes things much easier. :)