1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Once again Mr. Firehed you are 100% correct. My Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD will let me monitor 6 temps and an H20 flow rate (plus CPU and MB temps via MBM), and I plan on using all of them. The probe in the reservoir would give me the coolest H20 temp. The inline probe (pictured below) would give me the highest H20 (installed after the CPU and GPU blocks). The other two probes are from Innovatek and made for there HD cooler, but I am going to see how they will work for an internal case temp and (mounted via an PCI slot cover) ambient room temp.

[​IMG]

AQ included flat 2-wire probes with the Aquaero (yet to be cable sleeved/heatshrinked)..

[​IMG]

So, one for pump temp. and one for hard drive temp.. That should keep the Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD occupied.

Chrome DVD drive up-date soon..................

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  2. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Still looking nice. I hope the chrome on the DVD cover doesn't give you any problems. When you get it back tho it is going to look really nice.

3. modsquad

I picked up my chromed DVD drive cover yesterday. I was wondering how it would come out, when I dropped it off the chrome guy said "not much (metal) to work with". But he did a great job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have to work tonight, but I will get the unit back together/tested/installed in the case over the weekend..

4. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Sweet! I think it looks a lot better than the CF. Can't wait to see the drive reassembled and back in place.

MS- How much does that chrome guy charge you?

5. modsquad

I had a few parts chromed so it was a "package deal" but I would say it was about $60US for the DVD drive cover.

6. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

$60US for just the DVD drive cover...that's a lot of duckage!
    Out of my range, cost wise:miffed:.

Your case is coming along nicely, chroming the DVD and loosing the Carbon Fiber is a good move.

7. M0RPH3US

M0RPH3US What's a Dremel?

note to self : send adoption papers to modsquad ... :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

/me bows before his master ... ;)

8. modsquad

Chrome plating is not cheap gentlemen. As I said $60 is a guess, I had three items chromed (the DVD drive cover, a AQ full metal jacket and a 4"x4" mounting plate) the damage was $140US. Worth every penny to me.
    I will get the drive back together tonight...

9. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Well I hadn't seen the pics, before I posted last (too shocked at the price to scroll down). The DVD drive covers do look fantastic. The cost threw me cause I've had this idea floating around that would require chroming the outside of a case...then reality struck. :)

Now that mirrored plexi might work...

10. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

something which would nicely accompany this lovely case, is a special edition iPod.. they must have read my mind when they came up with this colour scheme

[​IMG]

nice eh.. id just have my name on the back if i could like, instead of the sigs

11. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I have to agree, the chrome mod is sweet.

I think you are now at the most challenging point. Putting all this stuff in the case while finishing the wiring in such a way that compliments the job you have done thus far. Hiding the psu wires in this case isn't easy. I'm looking forward to the next step. :thumb:

Where did you get the carbon fiber "sticker" from? I think I saw it at pcmods (ie., frozencpu.com)?

I'm off for the holiday and I would like to get that done.

edit: I found it at mnpctech. Do you think one 15x12 inch sheet is enough for two drives?

Last edited: 20 Nov 2004
  12. modsquad

Thanks Cleaner..I was thinking about getting an iPod, that one is perfect!!

Sho, you can order direct http://www.polygfx.com/
    One of the abstract green/black or the CF would look cool in your case. I just did a quick measurement, you need about 16"x9" for each drive (top-bottom-two sides-back).
    It was a little challenging just getting the DVD drive back together, but I just tested it and it works!! Pictures tonight.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2004
  13. modsquad

Chrome DVD drive part2

[​IMG]

Lets get this thing put back together. The chrome made for a tight fit (it was much EZ'er to take apart). I will also need to glue the 2.5" thin aluminium plate back over the hole in the top of the case that covers Plextor's disc stabilizer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chrome added a little thickness to the cover which made getting the plastic face and bottom plate a little tuff to get in place. A little time and light persuasion later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used Dow Corning silicone rubber sealant to bond the 2.5" plate to the drive cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up..Does it work?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    YES.......
    I need to wait 24 hours for the silicone to set-up before I can polish the chrome and install in in the case. So that is it for today (time for some cold beers).

14. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Simply Beautiful. Good work.

15. koola

koola Minimodder

WOW - thats gotta be a first!

16. modsquad

No.. it's been done more than a few times (G-gnome's Orac comes to mind). He chromed about everything you could chrome.......It is a great project you should check it out..His work is the reason I started doing what I do....

Last edited: 21 Nov 2004
  17. modsquad

Chrome DVD drive Installed

I could not wait to see how the chromed drive would look back inside the case. With the silicone sealant set up I polished it up (and removed the million finger prints I put on the thing while assembling). I aslo re-installed the acrylic bottom cover for the area inder the drive.. It looks great!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made up the top plate (but need to cut out for the two hard drives). I just propped it up in place to see (more/less) what I will end up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That will work. Chrome & Mirrors. Until next time...

18. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Ow ma gawd, that is realy sweet!!
    Great shine, on everything!!

Keep it comming!!

\\Balder

19. Buzku

Buzku What's a Dremel?

Well, IMO I think the white/chrome Ipod looks cleaner.

20. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Nice looking drive there. I just hope that the cdrom actually reads the disks and functions properly. I have run into a few problems with reassembled CD drives. I hope you don't have my misfortunes.