1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The modders tool box...?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Skotter, 16 Nov 2004.

1. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

firstly.. Boonies?

In my opinion, the area that you are working in is as important as the tools you are using. I'm getting myself a workbench for my bedroom soon. Or maybe make one, that would be more fun :dremel:

2. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

I love the "workshop" posts that get put up in these forums. There's always some tool that someone has that you never thought of having, or some photo of a workshop that looks a lot more efficient than what you have to work with. Getting ideas and techniques for mods is one thing, but it is an added bonus if you've got the right tools and the right environment to work in.

This has been one of the better posts for workshop tools that I've seen. I'm going to make a list of all the tools and other equipment mentioned here and other places. It'll be perfect for future reference. I might just repost a huge list of all the tools I've seen or heard of people using.

If there's additional tools not mentioned here that you use, please let us know. And if you've got some photos of your workshop, let's see those, too.

---Bazman

3. Skotter

Skotter What's a Dremel?

yeah, people have been more than helpful with this post. I think a sticky, or even an article would be extremely helpful to new tool buyers. I used to just use a garbage soldering gun (the kind that burns the wire into your finger before it melts the solder) and a jigsaw, and dremel....this is going to make things much easier, especially when i get my new dremel :D Thinking about teh 400...not sure yet...might settle for the 395...anyway...thanks :hip:

4. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

My most used tools are the Dremel, drill press and jigsaw in that order. Probably the most helpful tool is organization. I had a lapse in organization and now I can't find a drill chuck or a screw driver or anything, really curtailed my modding :duh:
    Ohh and Kobalt I also have a shelf of old parts, mostly Atx PSu's, Cd rom drives and such. Also I have about 4-5 working computers in the 133mhz-1ghz range.

5. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

QUOTE :Ohh and Kobalt I also have a shelf of old parts, mostly Atx PSu's, Cd rom drives and such. Also I have about 4-5 working computers in the 133mhz-1ghz range

:hehe: i think it's so much fun to go down in the basement and be in the middle of all your junk, you just sit there and pick up something and start to work on a new project, That's why i dont throw out anything, my junk inspires me loll, i also have various useless PC's that i just keep to fiddle with, they're all in working condition but worth close to nothing loll but it's cool :thumb:
    Yay for the pack rats, we love our stuff :hehe:

6. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Yeah I don't quite have a shelf, but I have a small stockpile of stuff building up too. Various cpu coolers and fans I have hacked up and bits and pieces and a nice 420 watt power supply just sitting around.

My family moved this summer and there is a pretty nice little workbench area in the new garage. There is just one problem. THERE ARE NO OUTLETS!!! There is like 1 outlet in the whole garage and its on the far wall from the work area :waah: Ah well, my Dremel has died anyway so all my work is kinda on hold at the moment.

7. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Try to get a good cordless drill, at least 14v. Dad has one that i use, its a firestorm, not usre who makes it, but its a red thing (if any one not the brand, add it please, otherwise ill go to the shed and look when it stops raining). The chuch unclips, and its got a screwdriver attachment in there, the screwdriver bit isnt very nesscary / helpful for working on computers, but for doing other computer ish stuff it is. I.E. running network cables, and mounting the wall plates, building your computer desk. Not sure if its bean mentioned but stanley nife, (the metal case one, not a chap plastic one), good wire cutters and pliers (hold the bit where you cut the wire to the light when they are shut, if you cant see light there decent). A soldering iron is nice, and you can do a better job when connecting wires together.
    Just my $0.02 worth

8. Skotter

Skotter What's a Dremel?

awesome how the replies keep coming...going to pick up my dremel on monday.... :D

was in sears today...saw the coolest thing ever...the guy saw that i liked gadgets and took me to a baseball cap with two ultrabright LED's in the bill, so you can see what your working on....15 bucks...think i might pick it up with my dremel, craftsman drill, and craftsman jigsaw... :D

9. porkashi

porkashi What's a Dremel?

a decent set of claps!, quick grips are my favorite best 25 bux i ever spent was on a pair.

10. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

FireStorm is the new Black&Decker corless line. pretty good stuff, beats the crap out of my VersaPak set ...

11. Skotter

Skotter What's a Dremel?

goin' on monday! i'm verrrry excited...gonna get a craftsman jigsaw, craftsman corded drill, and the new Dremel 400 series kit!!! yay! :rock:

12. jp82729

jp82729 What's a Dremel?

I just purchased a new house, which conveniently came with a workroom in the basement. I think the previous owner used it to develop photographs (there is a red safelight in the ceiling), but modding will definitely be its new purpose. :dremel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. kobaj

kobaj Banned

why dont you just get the same things your dad has

14. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Nice modding corner jp82729 :dremel:

15. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Man, why can't apartment living come with a "modder's basement" option in the lease? That's such a perfect workshop. Perhaps I've simply lived in an apartment setting for too long. Unfortunately, my lease isn't up until next November :waah:

Oh well. I can make due until then.

--Bazman

16. Skotter

Skotter What's a Dremel?

Didn't know if there was anything better :D

got my new dremel today = sweet....

Dremel + cutting wheel + plexi = me sick...