1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of Christmas Already

Discussion in 'General' started by K, 26 Nov 2004.

1. K

K 528491

I've not been subjected to ads and stupid xmas songs too early or anything, I'm just sick of this holiday. This year I'm openly denouncing this season. I'm not buying anyone presents for the sake of it and I'm not gonna wish anyone a merry xmas. My mom will get something cause she's been great to me this year financially and my buddy Lewis will get the Adam and Joe DVD because that's just awesome. But that's it. I may get my lil sis something cause she's only 10 and she'd be a bit gutted. Or I'll throw some money at my mom to get her something she'll throw away in 6 months time.

Is anyone else feeling this way? People seem so hell bent on collecting as many new possessions as possible and it just makes me feel ill. Mince pies are the only good thing about this time of year.

I can't wait for the line from that Dickens novel to be posted. Whoever posts it will then give a smug grin and think 'Yeah, I'm smart as hell me. I bet no one else even considered such a clever remark.'...

2. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

yeah, boycott christmas!

3. xckid082488

xckid082488 Banned

i love christmas, even tho im 16 i still get loads of **** from my parents cause my little sister is 4, therefore i have a handful of santa visits to go :D

4. Theo

Theo What's a Dremel?

Definitely with you, K. I bought only the bare essential gifts for people this year - missus, mother, sister. And I bought them a month ago so that I wouldn't have to deal with the Christmas shoppers.

Only thing that I think I like about the season is Royal Mail Christmas Casuals.. work for a month, £5.50 an hour sorting letters. Riveting stuff.

5. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

I hate buying presents for a holiday I don't like celebrating for a religion I hate faking to care about.

Hates about xmas:
    buying presents
    faking religious care
    stupid customers at my job
    more work

Likes about religion:
    more pay, double pay
    birthday cash
    xmas cash

yeah I'm horrible.

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I don't give gifts, I just recieve.

Actually, I usually only buy presents for each of my two brothers and then I put my name on a present my parents buy for eachother. :D

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hmm

Agreed on some points.
    I just like christmas because of the 'family' time.. wich can be fun, but then again, it mostly isn't.

And about the presents.. I don't get my friends gifts for special occasions. Just my parents/brother (we all get eachother something small, just out of 'tradition'. nothing remotly expensive..).

I just get my closest friends something nice now and then, that I feel they will really like. And that can be a bit more expensive, but thats fine. And we do give 'birthday' presents, but always a few months later then the birtdhay itself, lol...

I can't go and find something for my friends on command. So when I pass something that I know they would love, I buy it. Or built something they like.. (differs from friend to friend though..)

All the luck in banning xmas ;)

L

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

ba, humbug.

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Bah! You're all missing the true meaning of Christmas. Christmas is a time for the whole extended family to get together (We go to my maternal grandparents on Christmas day) to gorge themselves with as much food as possible.

By about 10.00am some of the family have had a little too much to drink already. By 1.00pm things really start to get fun. This is when your uncles and aunts and cousins and brothers and sisters start having extremely loud and vocal "discussions" over the most important of topics such as "That religion you've joined is a cult" and "Your other cousins aren't here because they are a bunch of ingrates who don't care about family" and the all important "When you die, I've got dibs on the silver/clock/antique coin collection..." This last discussion then brings up the new discussion "But you've got [insert heirloom here] already and that's not fair."

Things tend to go downhill a little from here. People start pointing out the extreme quality of some of the gifts exchanged and give a lot of attention to the ratio of value of gifts given:recieved.

By now someone has either left rather upset or goes and locks themself in a room to get away from all the relatives they travelled hours to come to see.

By about 4.00pm people start to unwind a little as the digestive system sucks all the life out of the rest of the body and you just sit there. And everyone agrees it was a great time.

....And that's the real meaning of Christmas. Happy Holidays :D

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I'm looking forward to having lots of time off work and being able to eat + drink nice things and see the people I care about (and some I don't).

I went off xmas for a few years after my parents split up but i'm starting to enjoy it again.

11. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

1. You wingeing sods! Embrace every moment of your life. Especially time spent with loved ones.

2. Christmas isn't, per se, anything to do with religion. It's been hijacked by christians but it's actually just a pagan winter celebration.

12. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

im sorry your all wrong, christmas is about staying up all night trying to catch santa, ive been trying for the last 18 years, without luck :sigh:
    ive came to the conclusion that he's invisible and thats way nobody thinks he's real :D

13. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Kermit - "sir, the bookeepers are asking for some more coal for the fire."
    Scroodge - "How would the bookeepers like to spend Christmas, UNEMPLOYED!?"
    Bookeepers - "Heatwave! dis is ma island in di sun!"

14. :: vic ::

:: vic :: Married to the Mod

I really enjoy the family time at Christmas and like buying pressies for the family although we don't go over the top with this. I have to admit that usually I'm all about the presents for me but for some reason this just doesn't seem as important this year.

Have to say that I think me & Kna will be making the very most of being the favourite son and daughter in-law at his Nans this year before we are well and truly knocked off our pedestal by the arrival of mini Kna in May, after that they'll be no more toys for us :D

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Gotta love bringing trees into your house!

16. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

ha bumhug :lol:

Ok so we've heard a lot of good things about christmas so I don't see the reasons you don't like it K. I only buy people stuff they want. There's no point getting someone something they haven't asked for unless you really know the person needs/wants that particular thing.

And mince pies are goood :). Gotta learn how to make them this year.

17. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Meh I've never clebrated chirstmas and probably never will. What I find silly is the fact people say it's a time for families and friends to get together. But surely you can do that at any point during the year and you don't need a special day for it?

I just see Christmas as another holiday for companies to make us spend more money on tat like cards etc (just like most "special days" fathers day, mothers day etc").

18. RTT

RTT #parp

What he said. Which reminds me, i have forgotten to put "christmas" on the swear filter list this year ;)

19. Cheryl

Cheryl What's a Dremel?

Im with you on this one :D

20. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

mmmm.... mince pies