1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

Try putting the mirror behind the AQ Grill, see how that looks

2. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

First off, great project, and a lot of quality and time in this. Second the grill looks better, but I think the best would be that grill chromed....I know that takes $$, but I think that its the best because it will match the CD drive which is why I didnt like the mirror it was reflective but different. Well, good luck on this, cant wait for more updates!

Nick

3. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Wow, this project has over 101,000 hits and is practically 30 pages long! Congrats again! Have you thought about submitting this to Maximum PC as a rig of the month? They would have to be on crack if they turned this project down? :D

I like the chrome vs. the AC grill. Question for you...How are you going to make the Aquero work with Motherboard Monitor? That would be awesome if the two would work together. Skimmed through the manual and couldn't figure it out. :confused:

This is just and FYI. When you get your Aquero up and running the fans work best if you set "Use RPM" option to off/Aus. I found that when you attempt to control fan speeds via RPM that the fans some time rev up to max RPM. Controlling the fan speeds via the "Set Power" option has them running as smooth and constant as my old rheobus.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2004
  4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Agreed :thumb: I kinda like both ideas but the cooling does make me think the grill alone is better.

5. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

6. modsquad

More spare AQ parts..

Got back home a few hours ago. I wanted to see how the Aqua-Computer grill would look with some stainless acorn-head bolts filling those bolt holes. I also remembered I purchased a pair of AQ Airplex Evo 240mm radiator external mounting brackets months ago and then decided against using them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Would this thing fit under my DVD drive and take the place of the mirrored acrylic plate I made up??
    YES another very good fit. I can't believe I did not think of using this stuff before..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the AQ grill was aluminium, but it is stainless steel (as well as the airplex evo bracket) that spells "get it chromed"... I will still mount my H20 flow meter behind the AQ airplex bracket, so I need to drill two holes in the face for the H20 loop to enter/exit the area. I like the look (and the reflection on the DVD drive) from the AQ grill. I am going to use it, I only wish I did not have to cut-out for the hard drive connections..No way to avoid that..
    SOOO
    I will work on both the "AQ spare parts" tomorrow and get both chrome plated. The mirror acrylic is nice...But "nothing like chrome"...........

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Great looking project, Modsquad. :thumb: The Asus brown kinda detracts from overall appearance though :blah:. Either way, really nice job. :)

8. iMod

iMod What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: thats using the ole noggin :)

9. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

More shiny! Looks very sleek. Nice addition.

10. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

You shouldnt have to cut through the grill. Drill a hole on the other side of the drive rails and run the wiring through there. that might take some right angle connectors though.

Nick

Last edited: 26 Nov 2004
  11. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

nice...

But I am surprised that you have only one optical drive :eeek: :eyebrow:

12. Zepolcire

Zepolcire What's a Dremel?

This is a great idea. Go for it because that grill looks awesome in there.

13. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

that case looks great i really like the front where the drive bays are atand the mirror finsh of that rom drive

14. modsquad

AQ spare parts II

If only that was true.. Check out some "close-up" pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The drive area is about 5.75" deep and the hard drive is very close to that ( only a few mm's of clearance between the HD and the grill). I am not sure but I think hard drives are all about the same depth (if someone knows different, please post).

I also started working on the modified Aqua-Computer Airplex Evo 240 bracket for the area under the DVD drive (someone asked about only using one drive, I can count the times I needed two drive's on one hand). I decided not to center the holes (top/bottom of the bracket). This way, when installed I will get to see a little more of what will be chrome...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note to myself: stainless steel is a very hard metal, use the drill-press at work next time. I only finished one of the two holes before the battery-pack on my cordless drill needed a recharge..but you get the idea....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will finish-up the other hole it work and the unit will be ready for chrome.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  15. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Lots of chrome....s h i n y ... :naughty:

16. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Veeery shiny.
    Keep it up, looks very nice.

Cheers,
    Mike

17. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

jaLCD seem good but...

Getting back to you about jaLCD...Seems like an awesome program just not very intuitive. If I was fluent in German it would help. When you finalize your project and get to the point where you begin to play with the software let me know.

18. modsquad

When you install it there should be an option for English (I think)....
    PS.. It looks like we will be getting our backordered Aqua-Computer gear next week!! The UPS package is in the States right now..

19. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Well you know how it goes. Just b/c you ordered doesn't mean A) It's in the box and B) It will arrive in working order. :hehe:

jaLCDs defaults to English. My current problem with jaLCD is that it is looking to communicate with the Aquero via the parallel port (H378) and not the USB port. Once I figure out how to point it towards the USB bus I will be in good shape. No clear way to do it via the options I am currently presented with. I am going to try and edit the config and ini files to see what that gets me. I'll keep you posted.

Edit: said serial meant parallel :blush:

Last edited: 28 Nov 2004
  20. Sclodion

Sclodion What's a Dremel?

My first post here, firstly, I'd like to say well done to you Modsquad for some sterling work so far, I cant wait to see the finished article (but then I'm sure you can't either ;))

the reason for my post is that i've been working on a mod based on the same case as yours although in aluminium. I'm no serious modder, rather enhancing my computer with standard product and a little bit of modding where required. Afriad the only work thats mine at the moment is the braiding of all cables in the visible area.

I too am using small bore water cooling (all Innovatek).

The pics below show where I am at the moment (which is all water stuff sat in a box waiting for me to measure up my case and start work!) apart from the fass-o-matic and the nv40 waterblock which are on order.

The inside
    [​IMG]

From the outside
    [​IMG]

The Front
    [​IMG]

Planned setup with water
    [​IMG]

I was wondering if you might be able to help me with a couple of things if you would be so kind.

1. I'm planning to mount the fan and rad using the existing fan mount in the drive bay area of the case, fan connected to the mount and rad to the fan with the fan pulling air through the rad and exhausting out the front. Do you think that will provide effective cooling vs blowing thru the rad?

2. The rad will be aligned as you have it with the connectors top and bottom. Is there best way to connect the water? ie : warm at the bottom, or does it not matter?

2. I'm intregued to know how you will drain the system. Are you planning to add any equipment to help?

3. Do you have a CAD template for the side panel youve had made for the visible side of the 5.25" drive cage? I'd love to screen mine off but am unsure about measuring up the bolt holes. If so would you be willing to email it?

Keep up the great work

Geoff.