1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Gaming helmet

Discussion in 'Modding' started by darkhunter, 30 Nov 2004.

1. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

ok i dont know it this would really be considered a mod
    I have a recently redired hockey helmet(got new one) and im gonna put headphones and mic and fans and such in it(that seems really dorky all of the suddent) and i was wounderin how i could mae this entirething wireless and if any of you modders have any more ideas for this.
    wieght wont be a problem becasue i hav strong neck and if it gets to heavy ill hang a pully that will support some of its weight.

hmm mabye a HUD does anybody know of one cheap and small enough to fit in a helmet

2. Un_Trained

Un_Trained What's a Dremel?

Lol. No comment... :blah:

Heh. Go For it. Everybodys Ideas count. I dont know much about wireless and all that but i do have wireless headphones. eheh

3. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

sounds funky. You would def get alot of stares at a lan :worried:

4. darkhunter

yah a lot of weird looks indead but ive been getting those for a while with big headphones with fans ductaped on so its nothing new

5. Un_Trained

Un_Trained What's a Dremel?

well then i guess its the project for you! :hehe:

6. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Perhaps you could get like a old motocross/motorbike helmet, take all the protective/hard out of it and wire everything up inside it :D! Even have a reflective visor to make you look pro!

Cool idea man :thumb:

7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen What's a Dremel?

Lcd In Visor!

8. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a retard helmet. Speaking of which, don't make me take yours off and womp on your soft spot.

9. darkhunter

yeah i think lcd would be good but its gotta be out of focus or somthing for it ot be that close to my eyes
    as for the retard helmet umm.... ill lock it on to my head

10. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Thats pretty funny. But not as funny as building this, finding it works and having the best gaming experience of his life, whilst you're still trying to have a "womp" over his soft-spot.

There's a lot of mindless negativity and detractive spam recently. Moreover, lots or regulars here just skip over it withour a comment. Maybe Bit could introduce a post-count fine? 50 posts deducted for mindless nastiness?

11. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

i don't know how you'd manage it ... being that close to an LCD isn't going to be great for your eyes, probably get motion sickness too.

what would be great is if you could somehow develop the headset to adjust where you're looking in the game. some sort device to detect changes in your x y z coordinates ... unless you developed a whole new game, you'd probably have to use your head as your mouse and move with your keyboard.

would be pretty sweet if you did it right. i certainly wouldn't know where to start though, the hardware alone would be a bit of cash. plus, a shotty job would certainly look and feel that way.

but then again, you'll never know unless you give it a run ... you've nothing to loose right? :D

12. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

RUMBLE PACK! It would be kickass with: Mic and headphones, some buttons , vibrator, (x-tra bass)?, and a prjector on top of it:D

13. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

why would you need buttons on ur head?

14. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

Button for voice com or "noghtvision" and flashlight.

15. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

im not trying to argue with u right.. but for voice comms surely voice sencitive, so i dont have to used ur fingers to talk, as for flash light and NV, there part of the game.

16. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

ok, have a look in argos (if your in the UK), ive seen in there a little home wireless mike, for parties and such, to sing along to kareoke etc. you should be able to take one apart and mod it onto a helmet pretty easy. and im sure we have all seen the wireless earphones at maplins and such.

this sounds like it could turn out to be a pretty cool thing, i know when i play games my head is bobbing around all over the place, and a couple of times ive nearly pulled my ears off as i got up to make a coffee and forgot to take my headphones off (they fit around my ears, and hurt a lot when you run out of cord ;) )

go for it, it will be good to see it done, i might just have a go myself now im thinking about it.

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I'm new here and have to agree, I'm a bit suprised by all the negativity too. I think that if he pull this off it could lead to a second project where it's lighter and smaller. And in few years he could have small company making high end gaming head sets that we are willing to shell out couple of hundred dollars for. A positive comment now could get the whole thing rolling. Laughter isn't excluded-but we should be laughing with him, not at him. Do it and take pictures. Sure we'll laugh, but not as hard as he might-all the way to the bank.

18. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Well, now you are talking about a basic head tracking system like what has been designed for VR back in the day. There used to be fairly inexpensive head-tracking kits (wireless) that you could easily add to this set-up to make it very slick. :naughty:

Although, I vote for the Motorcycle one, instead of the hockey one...the motorcycles ones just look slick. :thumb:

19. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

you should make it look like some thing that would be in tron :D

20. darkhunter

ok ass for chice the beta(hockey) i have to use a hockey because i have one on hand i and wna tot see howbadly i gonna rip this apart before i buy a helmet for it secondyl ive got some old headphones and a mike hot glued into it it works fairly well but smells really bad
    ive got 2 kids lined up to buy them if they like my betta
    now i cant find anything good enough to be used for a hud
    acualy small and lightenough would be a better
    ok motion traking is there realy any use for it and if so what game