1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jay Z & Linkin Park - Encore/Numb

Discussion in 'General' started by JinkzUK, 27 Nov 2004.

1. Peanut[UK]

Peanut[UK] What's a Dremel?

Have to disagree with you there penski, I'd argue that Hip hop/RnB is "shoved down your throat" wherever you go as it's used by the media to push "street" style. Every other song you hear on the radio (esp. commercial radio stations) is either RnB or Hip Hop, or a travesty of it, every shop on the high street you walk into is playing the same stuff, most music TV channels play similar stuff most of the time.

Admittedly, the situation's improving (imo) with the increased coverage rock has been getting in the last few years.

Back to the point - not heard the song yet. Is it a collaboration or just a mix? Might actually make Linkin Park sound different from their one song they've got.. :eek:

P.s. Yes, I am getting old. On hearing LP's first album, I caught myself uttering the immortal "it all sounds the same to me".

2. penski

penski BodMod

I haven't listened to the radio in about 5 years so I wouldn't know.

On the contrary, I find most shops play cheesy pop or indie and music shops tend to play indie/rock or good dance

I don't watch TV at home but from what I've seen at other people's houses, the only channels which are full of hiphop/rnb/rap are the channels which are made for those genres - MTV base and so on. If you want to listen to hiphop, watch MTV base, if you want to listen to rock, watch M2 (MTV2 now...not as good as I remember it being), if you want to listen to crap, watch Kerrang! or similar. Hell, the best Music TV channel at the moment is TMF.

I feel the exact opposite - Since late '99/early 2000, rock music has been becoming ever more diluted. Rock magazines do nothing more than pander to the lowest common denominator, watered-down, androdgynous crap like HIM, The Rasmus, Lostprophets and so on. 2000 was the last year of Good New Music coming through - I can honestly say that there has been very few new rock acts in the last four years that have actually held my interest for more than three minutes. On the other hand, pop music has split into two factions - the syrupy, clichéd, manufactured **** who just starred on the Latest And Greatest reality TV show and some really, really good pop artists. The same can be said for dance, hiphop, rnb, electro and so on...Rock is the only genre which has become stagnant since the turn of the century.

Ditto. Expand that to just about everything in the rock genre these days.

I'm way too young to rant about 'back in the day' but the music which I was brought up on has performed seppuku under the guidance of pretentious teens trying to look cool whilst reading Kerrang! magazine and making sure they're wearing the 'right' band t shirt so their little niche of friends doesn't leave them.

*n

[Edit so the last paragraph actually makes sense]

Last edited: 30 Nov 2004
  3. K

K 528491

I <3 penski so much. I don't disagree with anything you've posted. Well said.

Some other great hip-hop: Fingathing, Aspects, DJ Format, Ugly Duckling, Blockhead, Roots Manuva, Braintax, Jehst

Most of that is English in fact.

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

The only thing newer school than Gang Starr that I've managed to appreciate is Anthony Hamilton, but he's not really hip/hop. word. peace out.

5. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

the most recent "rock" that i have been listening too is My Chemical Romance (might be rare in the UK cause its rare here in the US) Thrice, Coheed and Cambria, and the like,

My Chemical romance was on tour with Lost Prophets for the Nintendo tour and lost prophets werent bad at all, though nothing new, but decent to listen too

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Penski; I don't often agree with you (I do it silently ;)) but this time, I whole heartedly do.

Some of my contributions; Blackstar (Talib Kweli & Mos Def (and their individual works)), Blackalicious, Cunninlynguists, Common, Juice, The Roots, KRS, Pharoahe, Xololanxinxo, Big Pun....

Oh, and if you're going to see Bestie Boys next month, you'll have the pleasure of seeing Kweli supporting. :D If you don't know his stuff, I'd suggest looking it up before you go so you can fully appreciate the show. Unfortunately when he support the Kanye gig in Brixton last week, the place was full of Usher fans and nobody knew him and weren't feelin' his stuff which was a tragic shame. Ended up freestyling his set to Michael Jackson beats, amongst others, which got the crowd going. :hip:

7. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

Talib's currently on my playlist along with Masta Ace, J-Live, Not everyone listens to 50 pence and flea-unit :sigh:

8. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

Jay-Z is actually incredibly smart. There was a special on MTV2 (I believe) that detailed how he never writes his lyrics down, it's all by memory.

Anyway, back on topic, I somewhat like the linkin park song, the Collision Course album is pretty good also but the DJ Dangermouse Gray Album is fantastic. Just how much dope must one smoke before you think "hey, lets mix the Beatles White Album with Jay-Z's Black album?" I'm a huge fan, that album is on my mp3 player right now and has been for some time

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you go to their website you should be able to stream it... they have a player that lets you listen to their newer/more popular songs

I don't especially mind this song in particular, but I totally am with M3G4's third line. Over stereotypical on the first two although in my experiences he's not wrong at all.

10. penski

penski BodMod

May I ask why you do not like rap/hiphop?

*n

11. Firehed

Same reason I don't like country or classical... I just don't. Not my style. Not to mention it tends to sound like the lyrics came from a 10 year old that just learned some new words (although not in all cases, this being one of them) if you ask me.

12. Soulfly22583

Soulfly22583 What's a Dremel?

wow... the ignorance of this statement. You realize you dont have to listen to it if you dont want to, right?

13. Soulfly22583

Hmm... well its a fact that hip hop and r&b and straight up rap are more socially accepted in places of business, social gathering, and publich locations that say... metal.*ed - on second reading please take into account that im dealing with the community i live in (San Diego, CA) so that may have quite a bit of difference, thx* People are more willing to listen to smooth rolling beats of an r&b song than a guitar heavy or double bass kick song by a metal artist. The second i walk into a book store and hear deicide playing (or hell to make it easy any new metallica) ill probably declare my profound love for the manager.

If you really dont like it you can always get an Ipod and just roll around listening to what you want to hear. :D

14. penski

penski BodMod

Night shifts in a supermarket = CD player connected to PA system = good music all night.

*n

15. Soulfly22583

LOL! Thats cool!

16. Spitfire

Spitfire What's a Dremel?

Great track this. My fave song atm.

17. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I can't listen to this. I usually like Linkin Park, but I really can't stand Jay-Z. :blah:

18. Firehed

:thumb:

19. K

K 528491