1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Family" PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bandit_zoraK, 29 Nov 2004.

1. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

This is my first post here, though I have been reading for a few months. I figured it was probably time to start a project (my second full case project) on the forums. After finishing my first case, I was hankerin to do some more modding so I bought this case and offered to make it for a friend who needed a new case.

After some thought for a theme of sorts, we decided on the sopranos, mainly cause that show is awesome and I haven't seen any sopranos-themed cases out there. So if you didn't click the link here are a few pictures from newegg, as I didnt take any completely before pics. I hope these pics are shown too, if not, I will host them somewhere else.

The case is very plain, but large
    [​IMG]

Side w/o left panel:
    [​IMG]

Nothing too fancy here with this case. So far we have cut out the designs on the left and right panels, the top blowhole/window and a 120 and 2x80 holes on the chassis.

Left panel cut and sanded -- if you couldn't tell that is the boss himself, tony soprano :dremel:
    [​IMG]

Right panel cut and sanded - no explanation needed I hope :naughty:
    [​IMG]

Here is the chassis painted silver (ok so it is crappy chrome paint, still looks nice though)
    [​IMG]

The color of the outside panels of the case is a metallic gray coat that is glittery. It may or may not look good in the pics, but it looks really nice in real life.

Here is the left panel and the bottom piece painted:
    [​IMG]

Right panel painted w/ closeup of the paint...I must say that I really really like how this rustoleum paint turned out; very nice finish and very tough.
    [​IMG]

Here is everything lined up together
    [​IMG]

The front panel is the thing that I haven't really worked on yet, as you can see it is sort of a wave shape, which sucks. We cut out the piece that is below the bays and plan on putting some mesh-under-plex with maybe some red plexi over that, but for the very top we can't decide whether or not to sand it off and bondo or leave it. Suggestions?

That's all for now, prolly work on some of the little stuff this next week though school keeps me pretty busy. :dremel: on

Ugh pics aren't images, anyone know why? I am using imageshack.us btw

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Woah, Looks really good so far. The silver chasis looks pretty good and i like the metallic black for the outside.

3. roachm

roachm What's a Dremel?

I'm assuming thats a cigar in his mouth (lol). You should do a small smoke etch in the window above the cigar. It would look really cool, and then people would know for sure its a cigar and not something else :p

4. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

looks like hes one of them guys swollowing a knife

5. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

that a really freakin huge case?!

6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen What's a Dremel?

get an led and wire it at the end of the cigar.

7. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Put a throbber circuit in so the LED fades in and out like he's smoking.

8. Bandit_zoraK

Actually both of those ideas were in the works, probably an amber led, I will look into that pulse idea too. Thanks for the input!

9. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

haha that's phat! the image of tony soprano is hot to death :D

10. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

omg :hehe: Nice idea ....

Keep up good work :thumb:

11. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

What a huge case! Definitly go with the led idea for the cigar. You are going to back the side panels with acrylic right?

12. Chersterz

Chersterz What's a Dremel?

Clearly a cigar!

I can tell it is a cigar! Nice job btw! :thumb: Cant wait till it is done! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

What kinda spec/cooling are you planning on putting in there? We don't just settle for pics on this forum ;) . Good work so far, like the cutting and must agree that there should be some form of mod to clarify that it IS a cigar in his mouth! KustomPCs do window 'etch' appliques for you if you needed a custom smoke one :hip:

<A88>

14. renimatorius

renimatorius What's a Dremel?

Nice "bone". I have got this case too.What small world is : ) What your plans for this case feets?

15. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Ahh, that looks nice.

16. Bandit_zoraK

For the specs of the machine, since this mod is pretty much a new case for my friend's current machine, I am not sure exactly what his specs are, I will tell what I know:

P4 2.8 GHz 800 FSB
    MSI Neo2 mobo I think
    1 gig pc3200, ocz I think
    GeForceFX 5900 (LE or XL or whatever the heck it is)
    NEC 16x dual layer dvd burner
    A few hard drives probably around 200 gig total
    and...
    A floppy! yes he is a comp sci guy and for some reason he feels he needs one. So we modded one of my old ones to go with the case, I will try to get some pics up when it is finished.

Oh yeah, as far as confusing the cigar with something else, just think, this is Tony Soprano, NOT Vito :worried:(if you watched season 5, you will know)!

17. fastbullit

fastbullit What's a Dremel?

erhm, man.. a neo and a p4 doesnt work very well together

:hehe:

18. Bandit_zoraK

MSI makes the neo boards for both AMD and Intel... this is the one I was referring to. Anyways...

19. Morphes

Morphes What's a Dremel?

i just signed up for bit-tech so i could post about this case, i have a good idea that i think you should consider for it. When you do the plexi make 2 sheets and etch one sheet with the smoke from the cigar then light it with a white led cut into the plexi, so it looks like the smoke is lit up, just an idea, maybe have the saprano's logo in the upper part of the first sheet, hell light the logo up with a red led too, just my 2cents.

20. Bandit_zoraK

Nice idea about the smoke etch on a different layer, I have seen that before somewhere else and I will definitely think about it. We were already planning to do an etch of the sopranos logo about on the eyeline of the tony cutout, and red leds will probably be the principal lighting in the case considering I have a "red" cathode which is pink. Thanks for the idea, I can't wait to get more work in on this case but I have two projects due in the next week or so plus finals :waah: