1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More ram or new psu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bboy_Jon, 30 Nov 2004.

1. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Well im gonna go buy gta san andreas for ps2 soon, and then after that ill have 80-85 bucks. I wanto upgrade to an a64 system soon (a64 3000+ winchester, and a asus a8v mobo, is that good?) but i think im gonna quit my job (paper route lol) around the start of december maybe, or i might hack it out till the end of feb not sure, but which ever way i wont have enough for my a64 rig, until i get more money or a new job. But in the mean time what should i get? a new psu

Fortron 530w

about 80 bucks with shipping, but id have to go buy sleeving, an atx tool, probly buy some new molex's, and maybe even a clear casing for it, all in all thatll be about another 50 bucks so i dunno

or i can buy another 512 stick of ram. Currently i have a 512 stick of this ram

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

My friend said that i should get better ram so that for my a64 system, i can oc it better, because he said its whats holding my oc back. But people over at ocforums.com said that the ram is fine, and my cpu is probly holding my oc back. So i dunno if i should get that, since its a nice price, and its the same that i have right now, or to spend alil bit more and get some better ram, if so what? give a link plz

but ya i dunno if i should get my psu, because that COULD be holding back my oc since i have my raidmax 420w currently, but i dont wanna spend all this money on sleeving since i dont have much. Plus i dunno if im gonna use it until i get my a64 rig, which will be in a long time (maybe summer of 2005) and by that time it should be a bit cheaper. and ram i think i may need but ya im not sure

what should i do? get ram or a psu? if ram the same stick i have now, or a different brand/speed/timings?

o and btw, not sure if i need a new psu because i have 3 80mm fans with leds, a 120mm fan with leds, a 92mm fan without leds, all the fans are connected to a fan controller, 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives 9800 pro, im gonna put dual cold cathodes, and an lcd so would i need one?

Last edited: 30 Nov 2004
  2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Fortron is not a big name in PSUs, and I would avoid them because of that. Un proven brands can prove disasterous later on. As such, I reccomend that you get the RAM.

3. Un_Trained

Un_Trained What's a Dremel?

Havent heard much about the brand Fortron. Actually ive never heard of it. But if u have problems, go with a thermaltake or a Antec or some other known brand. And with the ram. Havent heard of that brand eathier. Me Personally, i would go with a brand that has been with it for awhile. Like Corsair or Kingston HyperX. :D

4. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

lol are u guys serious? heh well fortron is one of the most known psu brands, there as good as antecs. Thermal take sucks heh, even though its well known. Have you ever heard of sparkle? fortron is the same as them, practically the same company

mushkin is a major brand as well lol

5. Un_Trained

Un_Trained What's a Dremel?

Never said there was anything rong with mushkin. Just said that i have never heard of them.

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

mushkin's fame came from a hell of a lot of BH-5 they put out.

If that's the good stuff, then NOTHING about that ram would hold you back.

Get a good Enermax PSU. That's all I buy for myself or my customers.

7. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

i dont think they sell bh5 anymore, occasionally people from other forums will sell some but its way to expensive, and i can barely afford one stick of my current ram

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

All I'm saying is if yours id BH-5, you don't have a RAM limitation.

I have had PSU limitation before. Something to consider...

9. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

its not bh5 though

10. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

What about the tt super flower? from directron.com?

11. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Yeah...PCPowerAndCooling, Nexus, SilenX, Zalman, Verax, Noiseblocker and many more all use (or have used in the past) slightly customized Fortron units.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2004
  12. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

really? wow hehe

13. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Fortron is as respected a brand as Enermax or Antec, just not very well known in the UK.

Unless you've got one crappy PSU at the moment, I'd go for the extra 512mb of the same as what you've got. A gig of memory will give you a nice performance boost

14. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ya i was gonna say that, but the 3rd post, it saw the guy was from washington and he didnt know fortron so i was like wtf?

15. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

i just got myself a superflower PSU and all i can say is im impressed. i got the 500w version with 140mm blue LED fan. also silent which is a bonus.

16. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

well i think im probly going to get the ram, since i dont really need the psu yet (hopefully, im gonna wait till i put my ccfl and lcd till i buy something, in case my crap blows up LOL)

17. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

QUOTE:

All I'm saying is if yours id BH-5, you don't have a RAM limitation.

I have had PSU limitation before. Something to consider...

---------------------------------------------------------

Lol, without high voltage, your bh-5 is plain impotent :hehe: . Who would want to run their flashy Bh-5/6 modules at cas 2.5 ? Not many I think. And at 222, those things drink volts.

Bh-5 is one of the most demanding thing, and its "simple" thirst of volts is not that easily fulfilled by other components mate.

Involves Mobo giving high Volts in Bios (thus stressing those poor mosfets and shortening their lifetime or your board stability), and giving out more heat too.

But the performance is worth it :rolleyes:

18. Lon3R

Lon3R What's a Dremel?

get tddc or the new ocz voltage extreme for memory if ur gonn want to oc this a64 rig. heres a listing i complied on DFI street TCCD module Listings . If your goin s754 id personally say go DFI LP UT 250Gb , for 939 i'd wait and most likey get the MSI k8 w/ the Nforce 4 chipset ( forgot model name ). Though if u do go 939 ur gonna want a dual channel memory setup which would mean more ram and id say if your goin A64 ditch your old stuff for either TCCD or the New OCZ Voltage Extreme. You will be able to overclock like a freak with that mem . Yes , i have heard or Forton alot myself that name is through all around the overclocking community and i personally would not hesitate to buy one . But in your situation i would advise you to sit and wait and see how the new Nforce 4 series goes with PCI-e before jumping into a Crappy rev.1 board. So i would say get memory that would be suitable for your future A64 as stated above . then when u go A64 youll be much better off. Save your pennys bro

Last edited: 2 Dec 2004
  19. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

well as ive already said, im probly going to make a whole new a64 system, new mobo, cpu, ram, and everything

i just wanna pimp out this rig right now, because chances are im not gonna get the a64 rig until the summer, but probly later than that though. SO i might as well get ram now since its only 70, then to save and get a nice stick and mix it with my other mushkin stick. Because its gonna be nice to have an a64 rig and a nice axp rig

20. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

i wouldnt mix RAM. ive had serious troubles with that before. sometimes when you mix RAM, the timings and such get really ****ed up. i would get a gig (2x512mb) of the exact same RAM, dual channel kit or not, it doesnt matter. but, i know how money can be :waah: