1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brilliant ideas with LED arrays...

Discussion in 'General' started by Fantaz, 28 Nov 2004.

1. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

yeh, this has been bugging me too. if you look at one of the pictures of the baby cube you can see that black wires are connected to each layer, but in other pictures these dont seem to be here, the only thing i can think of is that each layer has a vertical going down somewhere but u just can see it in the pics (which wouldnt be surprising as the pics are fairly limited)

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

This thread reminds me of the good old "Iris" thread we had in modding, great stuff guys! Keep tearing apart the ideas so we can see how it works.... now what would be better, would be a cube in a box with an iris on the front!!! :hip:

3. gatecrasher1986

gatecrasher1986 What's a Dremel?

has any one thought of emailing this guy saying that you are a

lil student and [but kissing] i love what you have done and i really really want to make something simmilar to this [/but kissing] could you give me a helping hand/ some tips so i can make a cube like yours?

as you said they are probably hidded as he does need 110 pins touching the floor 100 for the posative and 10 negative

4. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

In movie 1 on the baby cube you can clearly see that not all the LEDs light at the same time even though a row is strobing. Watch closely and you can see the row lights quickly, but not all at the same time (advantage to compressing the video for streaming). This confirms the 60hz "drawing" of the cube. Also, looking at V1 of the cube, it clearly shows multiple ribbon cables comming from the cube of the same size matrix treminating into 10 seperate controllers. This says to me that each LED is wired in a typical 10x10 matrix and is multiplexed. I am repeating what has already been said, but typing it and seeing the pictures has given me a better understanding.

On to the electronics. Again not having the electronic knowledge, I go back to an eariler post where someone suggested using 11 PICs. 10 for the control of the 10x10 matrix and the last one to control the 10 PICs. This also conforms to the 60hz therory where each ould get it's share of the clock controlled by the 11th control PIC. The big question for me is how to design a PIC circuit (basic electronic design knowledge) and is there a SINGLE PIC that could handle that many connections?

5. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi again,

Ok, first of all my apologies. I didn't understand your question, and you were right.. that is indeed a problem ..

sorry,

Lovah

6. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

No. Its more fun this way..

L

::edit:: sorry for the two posts..

7. iggy

iggy Minimodder

8. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

iggy2k you the man! Thats exactly what has been described by people smarter than me. Thanks for the link.

9. Fantaz

Fantaz What's a Dremel?

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Some of that stuffs well good :) shame about the website!

Maybe he has an LED Version at home he's just waiting to spring on the world :)

11. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

...except it doesn't load in firefox :waah:

12. TheoGeo

i use firefox, loads fine

check ur firefox version and that u've got flash :p

back on topic:
    i think i could build this, and with a bit of help program it too... would be interesting to do but i dont have the time right now

13. pr0xZen

pr0xZen What's a Dremel?

*bump*

Ok, let me see if I get this straight. The way to connect the LEDs in a 10x10x10 for us mortals (now I'm just talking wiring the LEDs), would be like this:

Say you have the Wire grid infront of you. Now, you connect one for each row of LEDs gowing horizontally away from you. That's 10 rows per "level", 10 planes.

Then, you turn it 90 degrees clock/counter-clock wise. Here you connect 10 negative/GND leads, one for each "vertical" 10x10 plane going away from you.

Connected like this, you can light up every individual led, without the issue of lighting up LEDs you do not want lighted ... ?

Does it work like this?

If so - only thing left is a sh*tload of LEDs, a none-conductive frame for ease of construction - and the mot essential part - a circuit to control this.

The last part I hope any of you electronic prodigys have figured out by now, previous last post was last year.

14. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

WOW :clap: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: that cube is amazing.

15. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I love the flexgrid, but that 3D display cube has amazing potential. I wonder if you could create a 3D object like a head or something (with enough LEDs for better resolution)

16. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

pretty cool, and the site is damn :hip: too!

thing is, the thing he's made looks like ten 10x10 2d matrices arranged behind each other. it's as if whatever is on the front 'plane' is simply repeated down the line. i'm guessing that's what you guys have been going on about in your nice long technical posts, but at 4am i really cba trying to make head nor tail of the babble.

what would make it infinitely cooler would be to have the lights on the z-axis not simply repeating the state of the lights parallel, but having every led individually programmable. maybe his cube already does this, but it doesn't look like it in the video. it might just be a matter of improving the software if he's designed and built the cube with this in mind though.

put simply, having displays that resemble maybe a pulsating sphere would be a lot better than a simple repeated wave line.

not sure if that made any sense. i know what i mean to say, but i'm not feeling my most eloquent atm :sigh:

it would look pretty cool in club environments tbh... and in my room of course :D

oh, and: in other news, voltron got totally served (the project under the cube on his site ;))

17. TheoGeo

each matrix isnt repeated, each led can be switched on independantly. I cant be bothered going through it all again as its all explained above

18. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

my bad. the video didn't make it seem that way, and i was having problems concentrating last night/this morning.