1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Need help regarding custom pc.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JJB7685, 4 Dec 2004.

1. JJB7685

JJB7685 What's a Dremel?

Hey I just finished building my new computer. Anyway we turned on the button in the back, then i pushed the front button to boot up and the power came on, fans started to spin, lights flashed then immeadiately everything stopped. Everything would light up for a second then turn off. This is the case eventhough the green light on the mobo is lit. What could this be?? Ive tried checking the power cables and everything seems fine. Could I have overlooked something? Thanks.

2. TMM

TMM Modder

The power cutting out immedately after you press the power button surgests that something is shorting out, or the Power supply is being overloaded. Have you tryed booting without any drives plugged in?

It could also be your CPU overheating and then your mobo cutting out to prevent damage. Make sure the cpu cooler is making good contact with the cpu.

Specs of your computer (including power supply brand/model) would be helpful.

3. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

i had this problem.. and i knew nothing was shorting or overheating.. it turned out i had the cmos reset jumper set to reset, instead of normal.. look in your motherboard manual, identify the jumper, and ensure its set on normal

4. JJB7685

JJB7685 What's a Dremel?

Ok ill try both suggestions: heres my system specs

Asus k8v deluxe
    bfg 68006t
    corsair xms ddr400 pc3200 (512x2)
    raptor 74gb 10000 rpm drive
    amd 3500+ socket 939
    aspire x navigator mid tower 500w power supply

5. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

The CMOS jumper is possible but unlikely....a bad interface between the CPU and the heatsink would be my first guess.
    Try to POST with only the board, CPU (and sink obviously), RAM and video connected..this will narrow down the likelihood of errors and allow you pinpoint the culprit faster.

6. JJB7685

JJB7685 What's a Dremel?

Well i fixed it. The problem was the power cable connected to the mobo wasn tin all the way. It was obscured by my cd drive cables. Thanks for the input guys it narrowed down my hunt to fix it. Its running nice now.

7. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Ah.

It's always something, isn't it?