1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPDATE:: PROJECT BEAST 3: XYLOPHIX COMPLETE PLZ REVIEW

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Henrymonaghan, 6 Dec 2004.

1. Henrymonaghan

Henrymonaghan What's a Dremel?

Hey i finaly finnished this case, turned out ok, check out the pics and let me know what u think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Perspex lid (hinged) in action

[​IMG]
    other side....

[​IMG]
    close up of the jacks

[​IMG]
    In-case thermometer. yes it realy works, only gives an estimate case temperiture tho, as its a good 6 inches away from the CPU

ANyways, give me some feedback, i wanna know if its good, if its ****, and fill my head with ideas for my next case. :hip: cheers

2. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

The computer looks really good- I'm not a big fan of the IDE cables you used, but the design of the case is beautiful- did you take pics of you building the computer? If so, post em! I wanna see how the progress of this went

3. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

Probably should have posted in modding because there isn't any ongoing progress.

But it's still boootiful.

4. Henrymonaghan

yeah iv got a million and one pics of the construction, ill put it together and post it asap

5. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

WOW that is seriously nice dude :thumb:

6. Wossack

Wossack What's a Dremel?

The cabling for the jacks are awfully white imo, but other then that solid work :rock:

Well done!

7. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

WOW! Good work. Only thing I'm not liking are the jacks (bit long, but works great for the case). What psu?

8. Henrymonaghan

PROGRESS PICS.......

Here we go, ill post the construction that lead up to the completion of Xylophix.

Well i got the original case from the computer guy at my school. (cant get any more, as iv now finnished school). He gave it to me for free, as it was just a junk box.

[​IMG]

I stripped it right down to the bones. had a seriously ugly crossbar and front pannel, so i cut the cross bar off (its still there in the next couple of pics) and i ditched the front pannel and decided to make my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you will notice from the finnished product, the chrome bar on the outer edge, had to go because it would cause obstruction with my fans, so i moved it to where the other crossbar went, youll see that later, looks much nicer.

I got some MDF from the hardware store, and a peice of about 4mm board, and i came up with what you see in the pic below. took me a while to sand it into a nice shape, and took me 2 goes to get the holes to line up with the fan controller perfectly, since they had to be about 4mm wider than the knobs so you can see the LED'ness.

[​IMG]

I wanted something different for the power switch, so i decided to get a good old fasioned toggle switch, i would have prefered if it was a momentary toggle switch, but they were out of stock, so you flick it up then down again to boot up the computer, which i dont mind.

[​IMG]

I removed the HDD/CD Chassis for painting, i painted the case and the chassis as you can see below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Henrymonaghan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with the pic below, you can see the chrome dome nuts i used to secure the front pannel to the body. the fan grill in this photo has normal screws, but i changed them to mini dome nuts to fit the rest.

[​IMG]

I got my fans, cut the molex ends off, slid them down some white tubing and soldered them to some chrome mono jack plugs, the mono jacks have 2 connections, as does a fan (for the n00bs) so the female end then connects back to the molex, and into my fan controller.

[​IMG]

Took a trip back to my perspex shop, got a pice cut to hold the female ends, which will pop out of the side of the chassis, simple job

[​IMG]
    all taped up to reduce movement

the shot below shows how it fit into the chassis, i had to cut the hole out (i did that when i cut the crossbar) i also fabricated the perspex box that covers all my wiring (also in pic, with protective paper all over it)
    [​IMG]

At this point id done most of the work. the front pannel is off being sprayed with metallic black car paint at this photo, but below is an overview of it at that point
    [​IMG]

i got the front back, and i put her on, i also put the harware inside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All i needed was the lid. i went back to the perspex shop, got my clear 2mm sheet, took it back home to the shed, clamped it all up, and used my heat gun to evenly distribute heat, and bend it at a 90degree angle. all we did to finnish the lid was drill 2x 76mm blowholes for the fans. i got some cheap hinges and some super powerfull double sided tape, and thats pretty much permanently fastened on there, lucky i got it in the right spot :hip: below are the finnished shots again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Give reviews. and until my next case, cyas :hip:

10. DremelGawD

DremelGawD What's a Dremel?

Could u plz explain where u soldered each thing when u connected the jack plugs with the fan. Nice idea :D

11. Henrymonaghan

yeah mate no problem. when you cut the molex off the end of the fan (making sure u leave plenty of wire) you have 2 wires. when you but a male jack and a female jack, the male conectors have 2 pins. one comes from the center, one from the side. it doesnt matter wich pins solder to which wires, as long as when you solder the femal end to the molex, and the male is connected to the female, that each wire connects to the same wire. its easy to tell the two apart. dont mess it up tho and end up making a cross connection, i have no idea what would happen, and i dont wanna know lol.

hope i helped ya out :hip:

12. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

I really like what you've done with that case. Very professional looking!

I think now I might get to converting my molexes to the plug style.. It looks SO much better.

Very nice job.

13. k3rnel

k3rnel What's a Dremel?

I really like it. The black covered area with the applique really makes it clean. Makes me want to find an old box and do such a mod!

14. k3rnel

k3rnel What's a Dremel?

ANy pics of how you have the HDs and such inside the black area?

15. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Nice lookin case, very nicely done!!

16. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

oye, you grabbed my mono jack idea :( meh ill still use it.

17. Tanaban

Tanaban What's a Dremel?

Nice work. I like the clean look that you achieved.

18. Thorn

Thorn Gaijin Studios

Nice work :thumb:

19. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Nice work there, you've really done a good trasformation! R0x0rZ 73h b1g 0n31111! :worried: :dremel:

<A88>

20. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Great work! I love the way you connected the fans, and I also love the thermometer. This one should look great in my NFSU mod :) My compliments!! :thumb: