1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set up for Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gooey_GUI, 7 Dec 2004.

1. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I want to install the Maxtor as the boot drive and the Raptors in RAID 0 for large video files. Do I need to have two total arrays? Can I have a single drive on the first port of the first pair of ports then the array on second pair of ports?

(1) Maxtor MaXLine III - 7B300S0 - 300 GB SATA
    (2) WD - Raptors - 74 GB

TIA

2. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

your operating system would proberly boot alot faster if you just used about an 8gb partision of one of the raptor hdd, but i dont know if you give a monkey, and might be a little confusing :hehe:
    :hehe:

3. Gooey_GUI

The MaxLine is an NCQ drive that I will use with an SLI board when they arrive. It will boot the OS much faster than the Raptor. It's also going to be used with a database which will also be faster with random files.

4. v0id

v0id What's a Dremel?

Even with a MaxLine with NCQ, I doubt you will be booting MUCH faster than if you used the raptors to boot. I actually think the raptors would take the cake here.

5. Gooey_GUI

The original question is not being answered. I'm not asking which should have the OS. I'm asking about the setup as proposed. I don't want RAID 0 for booting with.

6. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

if you are doing a raid 0 with 1 300gig and a 74 gig drive you are losing over 200 gig of space there just to know u know (or am i reading this post wrong)

7. Gooey_GUI

It's 2 Raptors with RAID 0 and that's secondary to running a single Maxtor as the boot drive.

Hopefully that's clear by now. If I must run 4 drives then the answer would be that I must use 2 Maxtors in RAID 1, then run 2 Raptors in RAID 0. I'm trying to ask if I can use three drives not four.

:wallbash:

8. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

yes you can

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

yes, its completely possible. just seems that for people, its more fun to debate hard drives than to answer questions :duh:

[/bitchyness]

anyway, no you shouldnt have any problem at all setting up 2 hdd's in a Raid 0 and one standalone.

10. Jackal

Jackal What's a Dremel?

as has been said, it will work fine