1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Gemstone (42" tall, Quad watercooled CPUs)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wmandra, 1 Nov 2004.

1. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

[monstermode]

need more eyecandy
    must need eyecandy

[/monstermode]

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

wow.....just........wow......*head implodes*. ok, im alright now. this is some amazing stuff, certainly impressed right now. amazing hardware, amazing work you do. extremely professional mods those are. nice job!!!! ~subscribed~ :rock:

3. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

That case looks big enough to bury someone in. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Cant wait to see the finished mod.

4. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Nooiice. Am I reading things correctly and you're going to have the w/c flowing through all 3 cases? Sweeeeet.

I've heard of tower and mini-tower cases. Does that make this the maxi-tower case?

5. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

ohhh perrtyyy

whens the next update?

6. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Yup, you're reading correctly.. the cases will be stacked one on top of the other with the case housing all the w/c equip in the middle of the other two.

Nothing really new to update here..... Finished cutting the back out of the w/c case and traced out the template for the new back panel, I will probably cut the new back panel and weld it in place tommorow. Other than that, I'm in a holding pattern until some more parts come in....

Bill

7. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

I love big projects :rolleyes:

I will keep an eye on this *subscribed*

8. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Wow, it's been a long time since i've posted an update here, but hopefully this is worth the wait.....

My LCD monitor mounts showed up and were installed today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The silver pole on the far right is for another LCD that I have sitting here, hopefully I will get it mounted later today.

As for the cube server cases, there is still some work to do, but here is what it looks like right now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top case is the dual Opterons, still aircooled since I am still waiting for the waterblocks to arrive. The middle case is the watercooling system, both Thermochill 120.2 rads are riveted in place, and the plumbing is about 90% complete. I am still waiting on a new MCP-650 pump for the second loop. The bottom case is the dual Athlon rig, I have the waterblocks sitting here and will most likely install them this weekend. All 4 250GB HDDs are installed into the mobile rack for the 1TB RAID array, and everything else is pretty much ready to go.

Once I get all of the watercooling parts here, the plan is to do all the plumbing then bypass the waterblocks on both the upper and lower cases to that the resevoir, pumps, rads, etc can be leak tested. Once I am satisfied that water is not going to spill everywhere the bottom case will be connected to the cooling loop and leak tested, and finally the upper case. The nice thing is I installed shutoff valves at every point where water either enters or exits one of the cases, so filling will go something like this..... close all the valves on the middle case and fill, open the valves to the bottom case fill some more, open the valves entering exiting the bottom case and keep adding water, etc, etc, etc...

Hope you guys like the pics,
    Bill

9. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Wow, very wow!!

I can't wait to see the whole thing finished!!

Cheers,
    Mike

10. Pistol

Pistol Guest

You're so naughty! :naughty:

^^^I haven't used one of those before :hehe:
    Seriously, that is a nasty setup...I like the monitor mounts, I like the ideas, I like the design.

Now you need a bumper sticker that reads: my PC can beat up your PC

11. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

that thing truely is a beast! awesome work, i wouldnt have thought a quad cooling loop could look so clean and tidy! *subscribed*

12. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

WOW man, iv been looked for a YY watercool mod for ages, bloody HELL i give you 100% credit nice one.

13. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

after looking at this pic of the res.

[​IMG]

I see that the glue joints are really poor quality (please dont misunderstand what I am saying) the work is top notch. next time if you make the box without the front and back sides you can sand the edges as a whole and the joint will be much safer. I only bring this up because there is a better than average chance this will start to weep over time.

14. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

all i can say is wow are thoses 3 cases really connected as one or what is up with that to me it looks like 3 normal cases stacked on top of each other

15. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

no comment :thumb:

16. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Nice. Very nice.

Subscribing.

- H.

17. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: Wow amazing, I sound like a parrot. :lol:

Now I cant wait for someone to take desktop form cases and make a stack like 6 feet high.

18. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

KnightElite did something like that with two different cases (wasn't 6 feet though :( ), more room for his watercooling rig iirc.

Looked ugly as I'll get out and apparently was very unstable (as in it kept wanting to fall over for some odd reason), but hey :p

Nice work wmandra! Did you happen to mention where you got the LCD stands/racks?

19. ChorijaN

ChorijaN What's a Dremel?

wow amaizing project :jawdrop:
    great setup and ideas...and of course the whole project
    happy modding

20. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

don't know how i managed to miss this one! Fantastic work :D