1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding I'm back!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZeffriN, 6 Oct 2001.

1. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Well,

I'm back from holidays, and as planned, I finished modding my case. (Or so well I thought).

Anyway it looks pretty cool for a first effort, pictures will be around before too long hopefully.

When I came back however, I saw the VU Meter in that Lian Li. So, I think my case is trying to plan an escape.

I only have one problem with my current mods though, I don't know if I should be worried or not...

I have 3 fans, exhaust in top and rear, and an intake at the front. All are 80mm.

I have the top fan exhausting whenever the computer is on, the other two are controlled by a switch (which also powers my neon). When the other two fans are off, the top one must suck some serious air out, because it makes the rear fan spin the wrong was as it's pulling air into the case. Should I be worried about this damaging the fan?

Also, just an idea, some people were using external power supplies to keep fans running for a set period of time after the computer is off.....

I thought that's what big ass capacitors are for?

** I don't know anything about what cap's actually do. Please let me know, all this electronics stuff really turns me on **

Thanking you,
    Ben
    :)

2. ChriX

ChriX ^

Capacitors are sort of like a mini rechargeable battery. They charge up instantly as the power is passed through them, and when the power is removed they discharge. The voltage on the capacitor decreases exponentially with time (its much the same as radioactive decay, with the half life n stuff). You would need some very large caps to get the fan to run for a useful amount of time after the pc has been turned off, seeing as fans draw quite a large current.

-c :cool:

3. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Caps

Thank you,

One more question then...

In your description, capacitors come off as being somewhat useless. What're their use in circuits, for instance, when would you have one.

Thanking you.

4. DaveH

DaveH What's a Dremel?

they can be used to stabilise a voltage source so it does not flucatuate as much

5. ChriX

ChriX ^

Yep, thats one use, or, if you have LEDs in your circuit, you can make them look really cool by using caps to make them fade out when they are switched off.

-c :D

6. SpikeyJake

SpikeyJake What's a Dremel?

being an sparky i work with emergancy lights , such as exit sings above doors and so forth . An emercancy light has a battery back up wich kicks in when the power is cut . SO iam thinking that you should be able to get capacitors to suit your idear or ues a battery as the power sorce. Then have a circuit to recharge the battery while the unit has power and then switch to the battery when the power is cut .

sp

7. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Oh, one other question...

Where would I find some windows 2000 compatiable software to monitor cpu temperature?

I want to see what temps I get with one fan and then again with all 3.

Thanks

8. ChriX

ChriX ^