1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Dead Silence -A Home Theatre PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 7 Dec 2004.

1. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I'm a bit confused about what has been modded on the case, the plexi front? It looks like a standard 'build-a-PC', not really a modding project? It also looks like a finished project.

If you've modded the front panel, any chance of a pic showing the original panel next to the new one so we can see the difference? I'm also not sure this should be in Project Logs, as there are no work-in-progress pics of the modding which are a requirement for PLs - any chance of posting some before the thread gets moved to Modding?

This isn't your usual standard of project (or project log writing) Zap?

2. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Well at least it isnt pink............. lol lol jk jk

I think this and the pc u build for your wife are rally cool. I thought when i was reading the Hello Kitty Log i saw a case that i didnt recognize. And sure enough i did. It was this one. keep it up :thumb:

3. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

What's wrong with pink? :eyebrow: :D

Looking good so far Zap!

4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Oh you know im only kidding. Pink is very cool for girls, not so cool for guys (at least i dont want my pc pink).

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Man!, this is the third project log of mine you guys want to move off.
    The faceplate is modded. Here is an image of a g-mono case without the custom faceplate:
    http://www.zapwizard.com/Projects/Sister/Front-Angle.jpg

There are work in progress images, just cause I don't have the next update doesn't mean I won't.
    Just cause I posted images after 75% of the PC is done, doesn't mean the project is done.
    I still have etching, lights, and paint to do as mentioned in the thread.
    No this isn't my normal project log, normaly I start with the plans, then the parts, then the mods to the parts, then the finished mod.
    But as both the ATI PC and Kingston PC threads were both killed in the planning stage I have not felt the need to post any project logs, since they will be simply closed before they have a chance to become a log.

Here, here is a photo of the $12 camera I bought for this project:

[​IMG]

And an image of the Sheet of Lucite and can of silver paint for the side window.

[​IMG]

6. Henrymonaghan

Henrymonaghan What's a Dremel?

that tis some kewl sh!t

7. ZapWizard

I have figured out what I will etch into the side panel.
    Since this PC will be in my living room, why no a peice of art?

I will etch an M.C. Escher artwork as it is easy to adapt for etching, and his art is cool anyways.
    http://www.tabletoptelephone.com/~hopspage/DysnSphr.gif

For the front I am thinking of a second peice of M.C. Escher art, as I can light up the entire lower part of the front with a little bit of cutting into the case.

8. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Hey that will look real nice as an etch and should be fun to make too! That is a good idea with the art, I might have to go out and get a big sheet and etch picasso's guernica (sp) or something.

9. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I don't know what your problem is dude? You know the rules and consistently choose to flout them. Now you're making up stories about your previous projects?

Even the staff here have to follow the same rules if they want to post in project logs, so how come you feel you deserve special treatment over the rest of us? It's a little insulting that you say we 'killed off' your other projects. Since when does moving a thread that contains no actual modding, and only plans and pics of unmodded kit you want to put in a case, constitute 'killing' a project? We didn't delete them or close them. In both cases you knew that you only had to do some modding work and they'd be moved back. What's wrong with the Modding forum anyway; not enough page-views?

Why is it so hard to actually follow the rules and do some modding and take some progress pics before posting a worklog in Project Logs? After the last 2 projects surely you'd have learned that the Modding forum is the place for plans and ideas and feedback on them. This forum is for actual modding work with work-in-progress pics (w-in-p pics being pics of the actual construction and modding work as it is being done, not pics showing a case from different angles, and a couple showing the insides with the side-panel removed). If that isn't the way you normally do a worklog (as per your post quoted above), then feel free to post the first two stages of your log in Modding, and when you get to the point of modding your parts, and have a bit of a log written up, by all means let us know and we'll move the thread to Project Logs. :)

If I have to follow the rules, then you can follow 'em too.

10. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

brown bread link

brown bread is the shiznit for absorbing vibration its like this tar material that has a silver lining to apply it, very good for inbetween a hard drive and the hard drive cage

the best things are vcomp and lcomp, they are great for stopping sound, v-comp has partial vibration dampening qualities if you glue it on because of the thick vinyl layer, while L-comp is great at absorbing sounds of all kinds

keep in mind that the composites are quite expensive, but id recommend getting the sample package (they give you a good amount to dampen 2 hard drives and it only costs 2 dollars :p)

i just ordered another sample and will do a small review ( maybe)

11. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Wouldn't bread get mouldy and disgusting within about 2 days? Or aer we talking a different kind of brown bread here? :eyebrow:

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

No, its a product that is used for sound deadning, usually in car audio.

13. penski

penski BodMod

14. ZapWizard

Sigh, ok here we go. I am not making up stories. :rolleyes:
    Original ATI PC thread that was moved in the planning stage:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=52663

Original Kingston PC thread that was also moved in the planning stage:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=69324

Sure the two above were moved in the planning stage, and I guess planning a project is actualy the start of a project, even though the actual modding follows only a few posts later. If please add to the project log rules, that a project log cannot start with the plans for a project.

I KNOW I am not breaking any rules with this thread at all.
    I specifily waited to post this project until after I had started modding.
    The above photos are work-in-progress images, this is an on-going project.
    What more do you want? You say this thread has no actual modding.
    So please let me point out the modifications that you can't recognize:

[​IMG]

That mod is the master of Escher mods.

15. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

I like it. Nice, Simple, Clean.

I like the Idea of Ething on the side and front with it lit up. I know your are trying to decide on blue or green but what about white? I think a white/siver combo with the Ethchings would look really clean. Especially with the lit up dvd drive thing you do as well. As long as it wasnt an overpowering white. Subtle like. Well I know you will fix things as you go along like wiring and leds. Great work so far.

I look forward to seeing this project progress. :thumb:

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

surely using a pentium-M would allow you to run passive cooling on the processor while maintaining full speed, even an overclock

or with slight airflow from a silent fan, overclock out the wazoo for performance that would crush that A64 :eyebrow:

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Oh crap, they'll be getting their digimons out soon for a battle :sigh: .
    The etch looks very nice btw, I hope it turns out well, I'm a big fan of Escher and have a print of his.

<A88>

18. ZapWizard

I did think of white, I did my wife's PC using white lights.
    But I actualy haven't done a blue PC yet, I know they are overdone, but it would make the entire home theatre setup match, as I plan to purchase a Kameleon Backlit remote that is also blue-lit.

19. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Blue is good. Best keep it all matching. Who cares if it is overdone if it works for you do it.

Maybe you could even and one of those "ambience" light halos around your TV.:D

20. ZapWizard

I made the new side panel: (night shot, normal white light blub for testing)
    I choose a different Escher art, as the circles one didn't work so well when etched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunently for some reason the laser etcher decided to etch a little extra out along the edges, I tried to fill these in with paint, but as you can see it ruined the consistancy of the paint.

I will try again tommorow using alluminum tape to protect the edges, and I have decided to paint the surface black, rather then silver to provide greater contrast during the day.

Or I may etch this onto the front panel, and use a different image for the side panel.