1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling questions on water cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kilobyte, 8 Dec 2004.

1. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

hey guys i know is has been a while and i told you i was going to give you some speces on my case on how i wanted to set it up well i got a pic tell me if i have the right idea as far as how to run everything
    [​IMG]
    the green is to show how the kit may look if i do the video card (not sure yet)

now i have a question would 1/4in tubing be to small or should i got with i think it was 3/8. i was thinking going 1/2 but that is to big i want to see a nice clean looking case with little wires showing

any feed back is welcomed and i will have a list of parts i am using i don't know what pump i want to use or what water blocks to use

Last edited: 9 Dec 2004
  2. kilobyte

so can anyone tell me if 1/4in tubing would work to water cool a amd 64 bit 3200+? or what would be the best thickness

moved to extreme cooling so the right guys can help- eddie_dane

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Dec 2004
  3. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

First off, I like all the open space you have in that case. Really leaves room to move around as that is needed when installing a watercooled system. Your cooling design is ok except I would put the radiator between the pump and the CPU block as you want the CPU to get the coolest liquid available. What are your plans, component wise, for your WC system? This will greatly inflict your choice in the size of tubing your going to be using. If your waterblocks are going to have high internal resistance then I would consider 3/8" tubing with Swiftech's new mcp350 as its enormous high head would really shine in a system with high resistance. As for CPU and GPU waterblocks, the Swiftech 6000 series seems to be quite popular (for good reasons) and the Silverprop Fusion HL like is very much liked because of its all copper construction. If you need any further help, feel free to ask as I'm sure everyone will be happy to pitch in their $0.05.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

depends on the waterblock. I intend to use 6mmID (~1/4") with a Cuplex Pro on an A64 and was told there should be no issues. Don't plan to get good results with a block that wants higher flow rates with a 1/4" lowerflow system though.

5. Maximilium

Maximilium What's a Dremel?

I sugest you move the radiator to the front (where are you going to place the pump), I dont know what radiator are you going to use, but if is a 120mm + fan it wont fit over CPU, you can place the pump behind the radiator.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, my 2 pence worth: :)

- Don't obsess about tubing diameter. Both have pro's and con's. 1/4" gives you access to easy to fit, excellent build quality and looks (but pricey) Aqua-Computer and innovatek kit. 3/8" and 1/2" allow you to overclock more. There is little difference between 3/8" and 1/2" by the way. I find 3/8" a good compromise between compactness and performance.

- If you want to overclock an A64 3200+, you MUST use the Abit AV8-3rd Eye board. This is the only board available that allows you to overclock an A64 really, and it has a AGP/PCI lock so you won't lock up/fry your other components in the process. With any other board currently on the market, you won't get far.

- If you are not afraid to overclock (well, are you? Are you? Huh? Are you?) and are short of cash, perhaps you could consider a Sempron. They can be stretched for miles and blow a high-range P4 out of the water.

- Move all your drives up, and the radiator to the front. That way it gets cooler air and there is room for a shroud --which you need.

- It doesn't really matter whether you put the rad before or after the block, or what order you put the blocks in (heresy, I know), as long as the res is last in your loop.

7. BAcon

BAcon What's a Dremel?

eerrm not sure hwere you got the info on the mobo matey, i cant get the link to work so ill have to guess here

if its a 754 rig, get the dfi end of

If its 939 then go for the msi IMO, i havent seen many with great clocks on a abit, no offence im sure there are a few people, but a much larger majority of people use the msi and get great clocks from them.

Plus the fact they offer a fair bit of vcore as well

edit: ok link is fine now, how can you even start to reccomend the abit over the dfi :yawn:

Last edited: 10 Dec 2004
  8. kilobyte

hey guys sorry about the long time to respond but i thought they killed this post. i had the radiator is one of those dual 80mm ( i was goin to get a 120 but i will have to lose a hd cage and i can't spare any) now for the water block i have no clue what i am doing i never done a water cooling setup. now the pump i was looking at something priced around 70-85$ that would have enought power. also i don't plan on over clocking the cpu at all may even under clock it. this computer is going to be a fileserver and i am trying to make it nice and clean looking inside and as quite as possiable.
    here are some links
    clicky
    clicky
    clicky

also how hard would it be to take off a heatsink from an ati 9800 pro 128meg

and if anyone has a better idea how to set this up please use my pic and show me i am such a noob as water cooling and i was to do a t connecter so i can drain my system to

Last edited: 11 Dec 2004
  9. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

Well lets start out with a few questions.
    What is your computer's component line-up going to be?
    Once we know what your computer is going to consist of, we can help you further.

From what I can tell, you've already have an ATI 9800pro 128mb video card. The heatsink is quiet easy to get off, you just have to get a pair of needle-nose plyers and pinch the little black plastic barbs that hold the heatsink to the card. Whist pinching the barbs, gently pull on them. They should easily pop right out. I have the same card and heatsink removal was a sinch. :thumb:

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Hey, i've talked to you a bit before, but i was just wondering: why put a 9800Pro in a fileserver? surely you could either build another computer around that card, or sell it and buy a simple PCI gfx card, and use the gained money on some of your watercooling gear. unless, that is, you plan on gaming and such on this comp as well, in which case :thumb:

11. pre

pre Minimodder

With regards to your system you will probably find that depending on the wattage/head of your pump putting the radiator before your CPU may shorten the tubing needed as well as improve performance by dissipating some of the heat dumped into the water by an inline pump.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's all about the AGP/PCI lock, really. But which DFI are you talking about?

13. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

The case for my Silver Shadow is very similar, what i'm doing is removing both the HDD cages and mounting my HDD/s with some vibration dampeners in the large cage at the top. The space at the front will give me just enough for a Dual 120MM Raidiator and i'll make a template from the shrouds and cut the metal so the fans can pull air in from the front. This plan might not work for you seeing as you've got a few HDD's to get in there. If you go for a single 120MM radiator i'll presume if you remove 1 HDD cage it'll fit fine under the second.

14. kilobyte

the reason why i am going to be using a 9800 on my server is because i don't have the money go buy the rest of the parts on my gaming computer so my server is going to be a gaming computer untill i can get the money for the rest of hardware. now my biggest question is would be can i use 1/4 tubing or do i want to upgrade to 1/2 tubing? and like i said before i am 100% noob to water cooling

and later on tonight i am going to post all the parts i am thinking of using it is to busy at work right now to start listing the stuff (night shift rulz)

[​IMG]
    got some clickys for you guys so far this is the stuff i am going to

Danger Den 1/2" Fillport - BLACK
    Danger Den Black Ice Micro Dual 80mm Radiator
    Hydor L35 Water Pump
    Innovatek Fass-O-Matic TIC Barrel Header Tank
    1/2" ID 5/8" OD Clear Vinyl Tube
    1/4" ID x 3/8" OD Polyurethane Tubing

the only think i need left is the water blocks am i right?
    and thankyou guys/girls for the help

Last edited: 11 Dec 2004
  15. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

using 1/2 inch tubing and small tubing in the same loop is going to kill your flow rate

16. kilobyte

i was not going to use 1/2 and 1/4 in the same loop. i wanted to know if i can get away with 1/4 or would that tubing be to small. i only added that link to let you guys in on all my plans if i can get away with 1/4 that was the tubing i was going to use, but if i can't get away with 1/4 i was going to just use 1/2. but my biggest question is would that pump work for my setup?

17. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

I don't do much (none actually) water cooling but by browsing these forums I've learned that having a system similar to the way yours is laid out isn't the best way to water cool a system... personally I would go: res > pump > radiator > CPU > video card > res... having the res AND the pump in your line after the radiator and before the cpu isn't a really good idea, as the pump will most likely add some heat to the water before it gets to the video card..

18. kilobyte

that is not a prob at all if i invert the way it flows in fact that is the way i had it fist way would work well right it would go radiator>cpu>video card>Pump>res is that a better way do you guys kinda see my prob i can't mod the case to much from its fourm right now and i am just looking to make my computer as quite as i can with having the system as cool as i can get it

19. pre

pre Minimodder

You do not want the reservoir immediately after the pump as it kills the flow rate and you want to ensure an unrestricted flow to the inlet of your pump - best achieved by having it being fed by a res.

Depending on the wattage of your pump then the difference between having the radiator before or after your waterblocks maybe minimal (eg a MCP600 only adds 9w to a loop while larger ones can add 20w+) especially since you have 2 blocks for which you may want to ensure an efficient flow rate and your choice of rad isnt likely to dissipate that heat that quickly.

20. BAcon

BAcon What's a Dremel?

im talking about the skt 754 dfi UT 250

ok i think we have wires crossed, are you on about the nf7s?

Tags: