1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Pacman Computer

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bust_A_Cap, 12 Dec 2004.

1. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

Alright....I recently got done modding this desktop PC that i got for free...it doesn't do anything...but it looks cool. It is old school....75mhz, 64mb ram, 4mb video card...and soem other stuff that is not worth mentioning. But anyways I decided that I might as well modd it. I had just got done doing my arcade machine mod so i decided i might try and see if i could get it to run some old arcade games. I couldn't get MAME to work on it...so i just got some freeware games on it. I got a freeware version of Ms. Pacman and a freeware version of Bust-a-Move <also known as Puzzle Bobble>. These are 2 of my favorite games as well. So i got those games working on the computer and then began to take the beast apart.

Here is the computer in it's original state:

[​IMG]
    The front pre mod

[​IMG]
    The back pre mod

This had to be the weirdest computer that i have ever taken apart. Everything was crammed in there prettty tight as you can see:

[​IMG]

Unlike my other computers that have modded i decided to write down every step that i took to taking it apart....this way i wouldn't have any extra parts.

When i took the top off i noticed that the top was plastic on the outside and metal on the inside....really kind of weird...this is when i decided not to put a window in it:

[​IMG]

Well i started by unplugging all the cables on the inside. And then i took out the PSU and the middle divider that held that cards.

The weirdest part of this computer was the drives. The drives were all mounted on one drive mount. They were all connected and came out in one piece....like this:

[​IMG]

This is where the drive trey came out of:

[​IMG]

And the drive trey without any of the drives:

[​IMG]

Aight now on to the modding. First i started with the drives. I modded the floppy drive first. Because i was not putting a window in all i had to do was modd the front of it.

[​IMG]
    Floppy drive pre mod

I decided that i would paint the entire computer black and then i would paint each changing piece yellow....i can't really express what i was trying to do...so just check out the picture.

[​IMG]
    Finished floppy drive

Next i modded that Cd-ROM drive.

[​IMG]
    Cd-ROM pre mod

I ran into some problems with this mod. I wanted to do what i did with the floppy...like the same type of paint style. But when i was painting it i forgot how it went back together and the little piece that folds down when the CD drive spits out, broke. So i had to end upstealing the drive. This still look pretty cool though.

[​IMG]
    on the left side you can see how the little plastic piece broke off

[​IMG]
    Cd drive without the stealth plate.

[​IMG]
    The Cd drive with the stealth plate on. The cd drive will open up and be yellow on the inside....kind of cool i think.

Well....i plugged this Cd drive in to see if it still worked....and it didn't work. It wouldn't open....so i pryed it open...and then it wouldn't close. I was pretty pissed. So i just trashed the CD drive....here are the leftover pieces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The pieces that kept....hopefully i can use this for a project box sometime.

Thankfully i have another Cd drive to use in the computer. So i modded that one....no pictures of the process but i will show you at teh end of the log.

2. Bust_A_Cap

Continued

Next i started to modd the front and back panels. I started with the front panel. There was a badge hole that i had to fill in with bondo...but that was about all the modding that went on here.

[​IMG]
    The front pre mod

[​IMG]
    The front bondoed

[​IMG]
    The Front piece finished. As you can see i painted the reset button yellow...I think the bondo worked pretty well....if you get the right glare off of it then you can see a slight indentation...but it is pretty unoticeable.

Next i moved to modding the back piece. I debated on whether i should fill in some cracks that were in the back...they had no purpose....but they were there. In the end i decided to fill them in.

[​IMG]
    The back pre mod.

[​IMG]
    The back bondoed.

[​IMG]
    The back bondo sanded down.

[​IMG]
    The back primed. Not the best bondo that i have ever seen....but i was pleased with it.

[​IMG]
    The back finished...sorry for the picutre quality.

Next i needed to paint the outisde of the case. I don't really have any pictues of this part because i forgot to take pictures. But here is a picture of the side runner pieces painted:

[​IMG]

Well i guess here are some pictures of the finished product:

[​IMG]
    Top front view

[​IMG]
    Side top view

[​IMG]
    Front view

[​IMG]
    Back top view

[​IMG]
    Back view

Overall i think it turned out pretty good. The pictures don't really do it justice. What does everyone else think about it?

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

hahahaha, nice......very nice

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

:hehe: Nice mod, very clean. Love the Pac-Man on top, that's classic :rock:

5. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Although I would've painted the floppy/cdrom black and painted the cd-tray and floppy/eject buttons yellow, it's a very nice transition from what it was...

Great job dude!

6. Mr.Nonflex

Mr.Nonflex What's a Dremel?

What a lick of paint can do :thumb:

7. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

I LOVE PAC-MAN..........awesome mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 :thumb:

8. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

Great stuff, looks sweet.
    shame the comp itself is a piece of crap :D

9. modding-monkey

modding-monkey What's a Dremel?

Now thats a classy mod. :D Mod-on-dudes (dont ask :D ) :thumb:

10. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

i would bet some goon on ebay would shell out 75 us for that...easliy

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]
    :duh:

sum41 - until Atari sues him for copyright :p

Love the packman theme though :)

12. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

13. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Got that same computer but mine well it isnt in its case it is located in well everywhere the thing sucks but to play pacman(if that is all you do with it) then it would be fine. By the way awsome work like zep said love the top good work.

14. Bust_A_Cap

Thanks for all the comments!!! I like modding these old pieces of junk more then i like modding new stuff because it doesn't matter what you do to it.....it is a piece of junk....it has no value. Plus the case usually look pretty cool. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what to do with a couple of old comtpuers that i have lying around....so look out for that.

By the way....do you think people would actually be interested in buying this computer on ebay?

THANK YOU!!

15. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

For sure, someone would buy this in a second. It would be great if you could get some sort of oldschool ligit copy of pacman, hook the machine up to run that and dos. I know people who would buy something like that just for the novelty of it.

16. Caj Darkmoon

Caj Darkmoon What's a Dremel?

One Word:

MAME

Ok, one acronym.

17. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

:p Although it is to bad he can't.

18. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

They couldnt... namco might tho? ;) Just kidding, nice mod :D