1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: My Room and Everything in it [UPDATED: JAN 5]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by NzC, 6 Aug 2004.

1. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

Nice Work

I really like the work already done....

* Good Ideas :idea: and a lot of stuff to work with. You are doing a great job man!! :thumb:

2. Yaik

Yaik What's a Dremel?

Very good ideas indeed :thumb:

3. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Small update. The dell is on the way and I have some work to show you. Its uncluttering, you neat freaks should like it. Will post pics soon.

Nick

4. midou11

midou11 What's a Dremel?

looks clean man, nice work

5. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, I have had some a shitty few weeks...I have been really busy, and then I was in a car accident and then my dad's office was broken into and robbed.

I will have pictures of the laptop up this weekend hopefully. It is awesome and I have had no problems with it so far. I will also be getting back to work on my room. I also have some more ideas for some schtuff.... :naughty:

Peace, Nick

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

That's too bad. I'm looking forward to the update.

7. midou11

midou11 What's a Dremel?

ya me to lol.. :D

8. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

i envy ure room :jawdrop:

9. midou11

midou11 What's a Dremel?

serious it is turing out to be tight!! :rock:

10. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Ok i know its about time for an update so here it is. Sorry it took so long: life has been hell!

[​IMG]
    So thats it: my new baby. 12.1" WUXGA(1280x800) screen, 2.0ghz, 1gig RAM, 80GB HDD, and a 24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM.

[​IMG]
    With my hand for a size reference.

[​IMG]
    A little fun angle pic for proportions.

[​IMG]
    From the top.

[​IMG]
    Here she is with the rest of my schtuff. I know its a mess again....as I said life has been hell.

[​IMG]
    This is a new gadget that cost $0. Yep thats a TV converter. I seem to know a lot of people who have a lot of technology but no use cuz they got sumthin better already.

[​IMG]
    Its got compsite and s-video out plus VGA throughput. I am happy with it. I dont know its use yet. But it will either to view my media PC or server. I dont know what I am turning my other computer into yet. I think its gonna be a file server....

So yeah moving on to that. For a file server what should I run just WinXP Pro?? Thats what I have right now. Is there something better? Could I runner Microsoft Server 2003 or something?? I dont know much about servers...Please give me all of your suggestions!! Thanks!

Peace, Nick.

11. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

what would you be using the server for if it is going to be a file server then you can run anything, but if u want to say make a domain then a server os is best but give us some details for what the server is going to do.

i have a domain/file server running 2000 adv. server, a linux filewall, and then a game server that runs 2000 pro (sorry not an xp fan even tho i get like 6 copies maybe ebay them)

12. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

I got one of those tv converters, i can play PS2 and xbox on my computer screen :D

13. Caged

Caged What's a Dremel?

That's a nice laptop, I just hope we see it in the UK soon. My Acer is looking a bit tired now.

14. midou11

midou11 What's a Dremel?

ya sweet laptop, i get mine around christmas, o ya and what does a file server do"store stuff"??? i have never done one before so ya i am new to it

15. ChorijaN

ChorijaN What's a Dremel?

recently got to your thread and must admit almost instantly loved it
    as i'm currently thinking of doing something similar to my room i was glad that somebody actually did start a project like this...and kept it cool throghout :rock:
    i'm digging the new setup and the ideas you developed or applied here
    but i'm noticing too that there's a lack of updates...and that's a shame
    keep up the good work and continue updating
    btw. nice idea bout the file server ...and nice laptop :D

16. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

For fileserver you can use anything but for that little extra you might try win 2000 server or some linux dist or somthing like debian nothing fancy like suse.
    Win2003 i dunno cos i never tried it. Nyway win2000(therefore 2003 too i suppose)has the advantage of the terminal services making it avalible for you to use the server remotely from your main rig without any need for even a monitor on the server. so you can just fire up terminal services client log in as admin and set up anything your little heart desires since you see the entire desktop in a window or even full screen. (if you have any experience then no need to further explain.) anyway i think this is a good thing as i use it too on my fileserver.

and the project is nice man

17. [<x>] Kiyusoma

[<x>] Kiyusoma Deus Ex Machina

i was just wondering as to what all those programs are that are on the laptop? they seem to tie in really well.

lemme know :D

18. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

me thinks AIM, funnky wallpaper, and icons with names too long :D

19. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Actually it is AIM and a program called screen calendar which diplays a calandar on your desktop.

And there will be updates soon, but I do have a life away from bit-tech that is very busy right now. And all of the money is channeled towards my g/f's x-mas presents. BUT, I do have some plans. I am going to be turnig my OLD laptop (see first post) into a remote control basically. It will be wall powered and wired into the network to control the server which will soon actually be a media computer (again). So basically it will just have a mouse (have to figure that out yet). I will also be getting at leaste one (maybe more) computer from a teacher. This(ese) will be my server(s). Should have another update this week.

Nick

20. Yerg2k

Yerg2k What's a Dremel?

Good idea, usually cleaning up my room is a project in itself. I've managed to organize my pc room, and after I finished, my brother moved out.

Soooo... A new mess was created, soon cleaned up somewhat, and the PC was taken to the basement. I have a pic of my setup in my project log. The room it was previously in is just a personal space separate from my bedroom. I like to keep life separated in some ways, and in the case of one room for clothes, leisure and sleep, and another for chillin and working, it's good because there happens to be that extra room available to me.

The only problem with the basement is a lap cat. Yes, she replaces the keyboard-in-lap a lot, but she's old and doesn't get much attention in the basement all day.

Nonetheless, the extra room will become a workspace for school, a place for the laptop when I'm not in the basement, and a general chillin room. I still need to get some sort of audio solution there.

Before I hijack this thread, I'll also be working on major cable and component organization in the basement, with mounts for monitor, keyboard, and mouse as my current setup (see the pics) is really uncomfortable.

Hope everything turns out well though!