1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Official: 'txt' Speak is Annoying

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by RTT, 10 Dec 2004.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It really is gay. I know it is.
    But there simply ain't nobody in good-ol-Germany who's not using "txt-Speak". :D
    I don't know why actually, because SMS are damn cheap over here. I pay about 19 € a month and I have 1 hour of free calling and 30 free SMS...

2. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

So many pet hates, so little time. :blah:

Txt speak is for chavs, I prefer full English with punctuation.

I also get a little irritated with l33t speak and people that refuse to capitalise the first letters of sentances, "I" when refering to the first person or any other letters that should be capitalised, like the "L" in London. There are usually 2 shift keys on a keyboard, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for even the laziest amongst you. :grr:

Last edited: 12 Dec 2004
  3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

hmm, txt lanuage really get's to me. I don't use it in txt's, as it suggests the word and have to write it in full.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Personaly, I love to send my wife text messages when I know she's in a meeting. The slighty dirty ones that make her laugh, but you can't really use shorthand, or you lose the romantic effect. What we do use is the old CB talk. Like "10-4" and "come back". But you really need the full english lauguage to woo a lady. And what else is text messaging for, really?

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I never reply to any messages I get written that way. I have been told that my messages are annoying by a couple of people because I use correct English with full punctuation, try working that one out.

6. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

I must defend our way of speaking. People who don't like using "txt" speak don't use it because they have enough time to type out everything. However, I do always use correct English when I post because people will get pissed off when I don't. If I had a choice I would use the abbreviated form of typing online because it is usually faster. Abbreviating words becomes a habit when you play online games and such, where you have to type fast, or die. Or also when you're typing a paper and you want to respond to people on AIM fast so you can get back to writing.

...I know I'm probably going to get a lot of flames for saying that.

7. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Any chance you could pm, im, or em me a sample german txt? You've piqued my curiousity.

And Irvine, I write constantly on the computer... I usually have two forums, my email, at LEAST 3 IM conversations, and sometimes a major term paper open... There's a reason I have a dual-head matrox card. Likewise, I go to school 16hrs, have ~15-20 hrs of homework, and work 32-34 hrs each week. Thus, time is money to me.
    However, typing proper English also becomes habit and I can probably type full sentences just as fast as you can type "txt."

Not flaming, I just don't buy it.

8. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

I have to admit, I don't use capital letters or apostrophies in my text messages (it's too many keypresses to be worthwhile). Other than that, I use full english. Please don't hurt me.

9. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

I deplore the damage that's being done to our fair language by modern technology coupled with sloth and stupidity. Fair enough, a language changes over time, and you've got to accept that the meanings and even spellings of words, and the application of grammar, change slowly over time. But a big jump like using apostrophes every time a word ends in "s" is just not knowing how to speak or write properly.

In my opinion, there is only one excuse for "txt"-speak ("2" instead of "to", "u" instead of "you", etc) - you are only five or so characters over a single SMS message length. If it's much more than that, well... go for two messages and try to think of something else you need to mention to make use of the extra message, mthrfkrs!

And you can always capitalise, you lazy sods -- that doesn't take up any more space!

Nezuji :)

10. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Bluetooth PDA to phone link - faster to write pure english. and it has a full size infared keyboard too.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire What's a Dremel?

12. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

I use it occasionaly, but try not to avoid it. If im running out of room in a text giving out details ect, ill use "2 b ctd" at the end. But it can be really hard to understand if people go over the top with it.

13. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

7 characters
    continued
    9 characters

I'll use the extra 2 characters...

14. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Thanks to my R380 I can just write my "txt" into the phone (old school smart phone) so as i always write in full sentences with a pen, I always write in full sentences. However I do have an exception to this rule and that is when im texting abroad. When a text costs 45p to send you kind of make use of the space. When that happens it takes me ages to figure out what to write as I have to plan the message :wallbash:

15. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

I don't use txt speach because It's easy on sidekick to type normal english. though as you see in all post' but this one I leave out all marks and caplization.
    I text message a lot to my cusin a lot because he can't hear and during school where cell phones are not allowed.
    text messagin has it's highs and lows someone could easly argue either point and no one would benefit from it

16. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

Nokia 6820, should be the standard for every mobile telephony device.

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Ummm, Maybe it's just me, but it is a game. Just a game. Type fast or die? When you start to think like that it's time to go sit out in the sun and read book.

18. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

Perhaps it's more thirteenthirtyseven to use txt-five-p-thirtythree-k instead of w-eight-ing those few extra seconds it takes to actually use proper words... Incredibly annoying, especially for us non-native english speaking people.

19. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

It's annoying on forums, that's why I (barring a few trypting errorts), use proper, full english; spelling, grammar, punctuation, the lot.

- H.

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So what kind of text do you think of ? Like a normal SMS text or something "more intelligent" ? I mean there's plenty of difference between posting something on a board or simply short-messaging a friend to meet him to get drunk. If there ain't any differences ... something may be wrong. :eyebrow:

If you want me too, I could post some here, might seem boring to like 90 % of the others, but who cares ? :naughty:

Tags: Add Tags