1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP OEM

Discussion in 'Software' started by alpha112, 13 Dec 2004.

1. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

I have XP pro OEM from Dell (well the Dell install disk). My question is: as I have this does this mean I can legally download a copy of XP (from P2P,etc) and use the code I have? Provided I still only use it on 1 PC.

I plan to upgrade my motherboard and reinstall windows, but I dont want to delete all of the stuff on my hard drive like the Dell disk will do.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Un_Trained

Un_Trained What's a Dremel?

I dont believe its ok cause its a Dell copy of Win XP. Maby if it was a store bought copy of XP it would be alight. Thats just what i have heard.

3. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Have you actually put the dell disk in and see what it does?

My mesh 'recovery cd' of winxp home oem... well... so much for recovery, its just a standard winxp home cd! Your dell one could well be just a standard xp pro cd.

4. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

Pretty sure its not, last time I remember reformatting, and along with XP it installed all of Dells "useful" software. But Im off to try now.

5. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

Well Ive looked at and it seems to be the full install, must be getting it confused with another computer :duh: , probably my old emachines thing. So unless Dell have screwed around with it later in the install, which is unlikely, I should be fine, thanks guys.

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Chances are that the disk is just a full version of XP anyway.
    So as long as you have the serial number all should be fine.

You should get away with changing the mobo, you will probably have to call microsoft to get reactivated, but thats not a biggie.

Tags: