1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGA775 vs Socket 754

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morphious, 13 Dec 2004.

1. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

I'd like to keep it around $1300-$1500 total, and the water cooling isn't exactly cheap for what I want (Going to pick up some PolarFLO blocks I think).

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Lets try to tackle a far more fundamental question.

What is your reasoning behind going with Micro ATX and Watercooling?

Now for your original question, the socket 754 system will be superior.

3. Morphious

I am custom-building my own computer and it is especially designed for a microATX motherboard.

I want water cooling because it's neat, but I'm even 100% sure on whether or not I'll actually do it.

4. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Well if u get the a64 which is the better system... You can always choose after a couple months ( when ure wallet can afford it ) if u wanna add a water cooling set up or not??

Kinda a tester to see how u like the noise of whirring fans on desktop ;) Meh, u can get pretty much silent fans anyway so its no biggy, im still standing by the a64 system.

Proph.

Edit > What are you going to be using the system for?

5. Morphious

Gaming, homework, browsing the net, watching movies.

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Well, the A64 system is much more powerful. Even with the watercooling, you won't be able to beat the power of the A64 with the Intel. So the issue is really do you want:

1. Powerful system (A64)
    2. Quiet system (LGA775 + water)

Personally, I'd go for the A64, but it's up to you :)

7. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

^^^^
    Saying that, the Intel system isn't going to be NOT powerful, it just won't be quite up to par with the AMD. The performance difference between the two is exaggerated alot.

8. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

depends on the use of the system

in basic work there will be no difference. in gaming there is quite a lage difference. i kno this first hand when i just built my first a64 system at work and it performed better than the 3.2 besides it. and yes it was identicle parts.

was a 3000+ 939 by the way

9. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

What the hell is the point of water cooling a microATX case. You have a hard enough time finding room for all the stuff in a regular case. Also, buying stuff because it looks pretty (water cooling) isn't a very good excuse. Now, if you wanted them to be remotely even, you should put the same video card in each of the setups. Now, as for the intel vs. amd thing the performance margins are significantly smaller than you might think, even to the point of not being noticeable in some cases. In conclusion, don't beat around the f**king bush, and actually make it clear what you want instead of whining at every suggestion we give. Throw us a bone.

10. Xtrm2Matt

Xtrm2Matt What's a Dremel?

Really depends what gets your taste. I'm an AMD guy, but on Saturday I bought P4 Precott :) :thumb:

11. padrejones2001

Exactly, I can recognize the strengths and weaknesses in both the chips. Some chips are better than others in different situations.

12. dead_man

exactly, im building an intel system for media encoding and such. decide what its going to do most of the time. encoding or gaming. and then decide. basic appz, and watching movies or ripping mp3 are not really worth another argument as they get the job done on either cpu

13. padrejones2001

Good Good, dead_man, we're on the same page. Despite popular opinion, P4's were not designed for gaming, they were designed for media creation and nothing more. The fact that they happen to be pretty good at gaming was an added bonus. A64's, however are more bruteforce processing, focusing all of it's energy into one thing, gaming. In fact, the A64's architecture is optimized for vector graphics, such as those found in games.

14. dead_man

also just noticed he is using 2 diff gfx cards. with the more powerfull in the a64. this alone leans more in amds favour as i was only going by cpu alone

15. Morphious

Upon rethinking, I believe I might go with Socket 939 like you guys bugged me to. I hate to conform and look like an asshole, but I think it'll be a good move; since I'd be getting a GF6800 anyways, it'd be difficult to make a small case. :)

Socket 939 here I come (in like a month or two).

16. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

meh, 2months and itll be dead technology :p hehe

Proph.

17. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

I might make the point to correct a post (by prophet i think) about Intel's 64 bit extensions, as i last hear there were a total of like 2 instructions that differ from AMD64, and EMT64. Intel's 64bit implementation is just as effective as AMD's, and you can use DDR2 (no there isnt a preformance diferrience yet but there will be in the near future, AMD hasent craked up the fab lines to produce an A64 with DDR2 support, so its not an option fro AMD now. I might also note that the pinnout for DDR2 is diferrent from the origional so when they do crank out A64s that can support it it wont be using the same socket (at least i hope they dont). Now NVidia just came out with an A64 board that supports PCI-E, but thers no way your cramming that into a mATX case. so it just depends what your looking for, AMD has a signifigant preformance gain, but when ic comes time for the DDR2 sweep your buying a new proc, MOBO, and RAM...

thust a thought

18. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

just noticed over at overclockers that they have a m-atx 939 board on special, might be worth a look :)

Link

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Only 1600MT not 2000MT like normal 939s, and NF4 with AGP?? WTF? Something wrong there.

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It says PCIE....

In any case, please take note he's in Wisconsin so I think Newegg will be his store of choice.

Regardless, good choice. 939/6800GT will be amazing. I made a 939/x800xt for a friend and :eeek: (even slapped his graphics in my system while I waited for the rest of the parts.... that was geek heaven)