1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demon In Blue: Lighting and stuff.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Stuntman, 16 Dec 2004.

1. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

My first project log here on bit-tech.net!!! HORAY!!!

So yeah, anyway... On to the modding!!! Ok... Heres what I'm doing. My friend has been wanting a nifty case for his comp for a while, and I've desided to give him exactly that. (He knows I'm making this for him, so its not like a surprise or anything...) Anyway, he gave me all his components a while ago so I could do some measuring but could never come up with a good idea... THEN, he gave me this briefcase to work with, and the idea was formed...

Heres the breif-case... (I had already started taping before I shot the pics unfortunatly, so just imagine a standard aluminum breifcase...)

This is the window side...
    [​IMG]

This is the other side... (needs some hammer work or something, I don't know if I can get out the dings or not...)
    [​IMG]

Heres the inside...
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the components going inside...
    [​IMG]

And HERE is the symbol he wants me to cut out as the window... (Unfortunatly, I'm kinda worried about that cut, I've never done something so detailed...)
    [​IMG]

So yeah... The project has begun... I hope I kinda surprise you guys along the way... I coulda put in alot more about what I'm gona do with it, but that woulda ruined the fun wouldnt it? :D

PS. In case anyone was wondering about the cases in the background, those were some of my earlier projects... :dremel:

BTW: You'll get the name as the project progresses.... :clap:

Last edited: 10 Jan 2005
  2. The Gaji

The Gaji What's a Dremel?

That design u want for the window cut would look cool, is there much eklse u plan to do to the case.

3. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Yeah... Though, I wana keep some of it a secret... (I can say that its gona have some blue VU meters in the front of the case, along with some custom fan grilles, lighting effects, ect...) Theres much more, but I wana save it, lol. I hope everyone can be teh patient with me. :D

4. darknecromancer

darknecromancer What's a Dremel?

woot man if u cant cut that out to look that detailed you definatly get 2 points in my book. Though u cant redeem them for anything its always good to have points :). I got to see if you come through

~Dark

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Yeah... lol. I can see why... *looks at your username*

Anyway, I got the window cut today, but ran into some complications... :waah:

If I can, I'll get the pictures up tonight... :sigh: I have midterms so I gota do alot of studying... On a different note, Does anyone know what size the threads on those little brass standoffs is? You know, the small ones that come with cases to mount the motherboard on. I need to get some nuts for them, and don't have any idea what size I need. :duh:

6. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

If you're getting them locally, just take the standoff with you to match a nut to it.

If the window gives you problems you could always engrave the symbol and light it up. Less cutting, a little easier to do, but looks just as good. Cut out the circle, cut out a piece of acrylic to fit the hole, engrave the pattern on the acrylic and lightly engrave it with a :dremel: .

7. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Nice mod, but I think suitcase computers are starting to overpopulate the computer comunity.

8. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

How are you planning to attach the plexi for the window? Because if you use some sort of glue, or sticky tape, it will be a pain in the butt to go that close to the edge. You will end up getting glue on the window, or having to cut the plexi more to make space for the curvature of the briefcase in order to keep the outer edge of the window flush and nice looking... I'm saying this from experience, it's so depressing when you get everything done and your about to put the window in... and you realize you have to get the nibbler out and cut off some case to make way for the plexi. You might be good enough to realize this, or you might not, but I'm telling you now so you sure as **** better notice... lol.

By the way, I don't think briefcases are overdone in the modding world. Just give it that extra touch. Everybody has it in them, some of us just prefer to conform. Don't.

OK, on a lighter note (lol) good luck with your mod, it looks like if you clean up dem dings and put in a window, do some polishing and viola! you will have an uber :jawdrop: case.

:clap:

9. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Heh... good point about that window attachment thing... Its kinda complicated to explain, but here goes... Now, the case is alot cheaper made then I thought... Instead of the metal being sheet metal, it turns out its just foil glued on 1/4" thick wood... :waah: Thats where the problem comes in. See, affter I cut for a while, I relized that it will be very weak structuaraly... So I came up with this plan :idea:... What I'm gona do, is cut out the wood from the back of the metal, so its like a little "slot" or "hole". Then, I'm gona cut the plexi so it will fit in the "hole" and attatch it with some nifty bolts or something like that in the corners... I think the plexi will add alot of structural support to it, and still give clearence for the cards inside without adding another 1/4 " to the inside of the case...

God I hope this works, lol. :grr:

10. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Heh. I'd get another case if I were you. I think lining the whole inside window with plexi would give it support, but it would take away a lot of space. Or you could rip out the stupid foil and put in sheets of aluminum and go for a brushed/polished and shiny/whatever look. I don't think It'd be a great plan to use this unless you are going to line it entirely with aluminum or plexi (my god that would be a waste lol) because the foil wouldn't be strong enough. think about it, it is going to hold a computer and probably get jostled around and leaned on - cases tend to get leaned on and suitcases tend to get jostled.

Hmm, my 2 cents is turning into a fortune... :hehe:

11. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Well, I've desided to go with what I have. (I'll just have to make sure my freind know's how fragile and stuff it is...) ANYWAY, here is teh update... The window is not done yet, as you can see... But I'm planning on finishing that... tomarrow. I also worked on the card back plating and cut it down so it would fit...

Alright... here are the designs I drew...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the cutting process...

[​IMG]
    (MR. DREMEL!!!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lol, my shirt got kinda dusty... (TROGDOR!!!!)

[​IMG]

Done for the day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (yes, thats my little brother with our phone up his nose... :eyebrow: Hes kinda creepy...)
    [​IMG]

But yeah, yall see what I mean about the whole, 1/4 wood thing? I'll figure it out, I'll solve this little problem... I hope for an update tommarow... but, untill then, Happy Modding! :dremel:

Ugh... sorry about how the picture sizes change... They were all supposed to be 640X400, but I geuse someone messed with the camera inbetwwen shots... *stares at brother... :grr: *

Last edited: 18 Dec 2004
  12. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

Dont you LOVE how much fun cutting out those small spaces are? God knows i love that edgey "OMG please dont slip" feeling juss makes me smile thinkin bout it. Love the cut, musta been nerve rackin. that wood is gonna be a REAL pain interested to see how u werk that out GL on it. :rock:

BTW: what the hell is a TROGDOR?? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

13. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

*gasp!!!* TROGDOR IS THE ALL KNOWING GOD OF EVERYTHING EVER!!! Either that, or he's a picture of a dragon. One of the two... :D

EDIT: Anyway, I think my PSU sleeving stuff is coming monday, so expect a update by then. :)

Last edited: 19 Dec 2004
  14. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

ISnt it a game you can play on the internet. In fact i think i played it on thursday when i got bord at school.

15. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

no its from homestarrunner's cartoon strong bad...

16. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

lookin good :)

17. RiPz

RiPz What's a Dremel?

idea for the wood problem: simply remove the circle of wood.. and about a CM all round it... replace the whole thing with your window material.... if you get me.. obviously, your window material would have to be strong enough to support the rather thin metal outer of the flight case, but.. i'm sure that can be easily sorted :p, this is how i sorted the wood proeblem round the fans on my flight case mod... :)

18. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Well... I'm sad. :waah: While I was cutting the wood out from in-between the metal lines, the whole window design caved in... :duh: So, I just desided, screw it! And I just cut the whole thing out, so now the window is a big circle. Now, don't be worried. I'll fix this by making an etch of the same design on the window. The etch will be the same size, same everything. So yeah. I hope it looks alright... :waah:

19. RiPz

RiPz What's a Dremel?

eep.. these things happen, unlucky... hope the etch works out :p

20. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Alright... I HAVE ENJOYED MY CHRISTMAS VACATION AND NOW I SHALL POST SOMETHING. So yeah. Here we go... I GOT THE PSU SLEEVED!

I think the uv looks pretty good. The orange spraypaint cap in their is the color that the inside of the case is going to be painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sorry peoples, that was the worst update EVER, but its still progress! :wallbash: :clap: