1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V hooked guitar to PC but no sound... any help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Springs, 10 Dec 2004.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

im trying to hook up my guitar to my computer.... ive got a adapter already to plug it in to the sound card... but when ever i try to play anything nothing comes out the speaker.... i have a Creative Sound Blaster 5 i believe... and ive plugged it into the pink port which i believe is the microphone... i used a program called Audacity to test it all.. when i click on record and play there is a response in the box but i dont get any sound through the speakers with that either.... i can only hear whats been recorded when i play it back.....

any help?

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

You have plugged the relevant plug into the speaker socket? Double check.

- H.

3. penski

penski BodMod

There are two ways to remedy this:

1: Go into the Creative control panel and select recording source as mic in.

It will probably be set to line in or similar at the moment.

2: Get rid of the Creative and buy something decent.

*n

4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

its actually a sound blaster Live...

anyways.... ive set all the sound recording opstions i can find to the mic..

5. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Are you using a proper Mono to Stereo converter jack?

If you're going from a mono 5mm guitar jack to a stereo 3.5mm input, you may have issues.. if you pull the jack out of the socket halfway (try on both the PC and the converter) do you get sound at all?

6. djtitan

djtitan What's a Dremel?

you probably have to use the line in jack. The microphone jack provides phantom power to microphones, but you guitar should (big assumption here) have line out power built in, so you dont need the phantom power. Check to make sure that its not muted (im sure you already have, but just in case).

7. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i didnt get any sound.... the adapter i have is a 3.5mm jack with 1 black like round it.. just over the 1/2 way point

8. penski

penski BodMod

Thats a mono jack.

Grab yourself one with two black bands.

Or....as Kna suggested, try pulling it out a bit.

*n

9. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

If its recording fine in audacity it sounds like the recording source is just muted. Goto the mixer change to the recording mixer and unmute the mic in, its muted by default so you dont get echos. If your thinking of doin anything musical with a soundblaster suggest you look into the kx project drivers. They'll give you asio in / out...

10. Springs

Springs Boing boing

ok ive been able to get a sterio plug and ive plugged it in and after a bit of a twidle (sp) ive got it to work..... only down side is i have to have my speakers on high to get a decent sound...

11. Cougar4

Cougar4 What's a Dremel?

Another problem may be the impedences are not matched. I think the guitar has a high impedence output while the mic input is low impedence most likely. Using an impedence transformer would help I think.

12. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

Cougar is right. Passive guitar pickups are high-impedence, and you'll really need some sort of preamp. If you've got active pickups (you'll have a battery box on the guitar), they're low-impedence and shouldn't really need a preamp. You can get guitar preamps in forms, from stompboxes to rackmount units to unit that are installed in the guitar between the pickups and output jack. Check out a local musical instrument store's guitar section and they'll let you know what's out there.

13. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

For future reference... it's 6.35mm not 5mm...

(yes... I was looking at the bloody connectors for a customer AGAIN today.... some people just don't look... it chuffs me off)