1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Serious Malfunction

Discussion in 'Software' started by Poison The Well, 17 Dec 2004.

1. Poison The Well

Poison The Well What's a Dremel?

Yesterday, I went to put my iPod in it's home (dock) and missed, accidentally tapping my desk. I can't see why my computer would care that I hit the desk (my computer sits on the floor under my desk), my Pod's the one getting hurt, but it didn't like it. As soon as the contact was made, I received a Windows Blue Screen (running XP Home Edition, at least they made the screen of death prettier), and then my monitor clicked off.

Now, I cannot get a signal to the monitor, so it appears, nor do any of my USB devices (opitcal mouse) power up when I power-up the computer. This all spawned from me missing my iPod's dock when trying to charge it's battery, and tapping my well-beaten desk.

What do you think could be the cause of this? I don't see how something with the iPod could have done it, because it never actually got docked. Could something have shifted inside of the case? I have checked all of the IDE and power cables to the hard drive and mother board several times, and they all look to be solid. I have also checked both the signal and power connections on both the transmitting and receiving side of my monitor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Xtrm2Matt

Xtrm2Matt What's a Dremel?

Sorry mate, sounds like a Motherboard problem to me. Perhaps it was near the end but a slick knock made it come quicker.

3. Poison The Well

How would I go about testing the mother board to see if it was in fact the culprit of my problem?

The LED next to the memory battery is still on, if that means anything at all. But aside from that, I really get nothing from the whole system.

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Put everything on a new board. If it works the other ones borked :thumb: .

Death

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

So it's powering up, not beeping (have you got an onboard speaker on the mobo, or have you got the case speaker plugged in?)

Does it actually boot into Windows? Can you hear the Windows signature tune play?

If you have two sticks of memory, try with either or, not both and see what you get.

Have you tried resetting the cmos?

6. Poison The Well

I got a new board and the system still will not post / boot. There is no "beep" from the system speaker. The new board has on-board video so it can't be my graphics card.

I was reading on the SOYO site that no post and no beep means there is a problem with the processor / board communication.

The processor I am using currently is a 1.4ghz T-Bird that's about 3 years old. I have read that this is not necessarily the most stable proc. So, I am now thinking this could be the problem.

If I order a new proc. from Newegg, and that doesn't fix the problem, will I have a problem returning it to them?

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You shouldn't do. Most companys are very reasonable about things like that. Just tell the truth, and they should be fine. They may charge you for restocking, but it's not a lot of money anyway. :)

Tags: