1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mysterious Blue Line on LCD - pics & vid

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dredog, 19 Dec 2004.

1. Dredog

Dredog What's a Dremel?

Well I dropped my laptop a couple times and now sometimes i get this blue line down the middle of my screen.
    The weird thing is if I twist my screen it GOES AWAY!
    Also the line is not visble when i'm viewing something white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The line is pure blue in color and only 1 PIXEL wide (hard to capture accurately with camera.

[​IMG]
    Here is a video of me twisting the lcd and the line disappearing

My warranty has expired and i do not want to buy a new lcd.
    I’m debating whether or not I should open up the panel and see if it might be some sort of alignment problem. Any thoughts???

Thanks guys

Last edited: 19 Dec 2004
  2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I think you've cracked the panel under the plastic, some girl at my school kicked my friends laptop across the corridor about a month ago, he got a yellow line like yours, only just 10cm long (and yellow). He had to get the laptop replaced.

3. Dredog

Dredog What's a Dremel?

I hope it's not cracked... if it was i don't think i would be able to bend the lcd and make the line dissappear. how much did it your friend have to pay to get it replaced?

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

he got the entire laptop replaced - £1600, he was happy cos he wasn't the one paying for it - the girl that kicked it was, he bought a cheaper, more up to date laptop and a TFT to go with it. But I don't think its gona be cheap, check out the toshiba website I think would be the best bet. I think its unlikely you'll be able to repair it yourself.

5. crazy cuban

crazy cuban What's a Dremel?

The reason you can twist it and the image clears up is because the cable that goes from the instide the laptop (normally through the hinge) and attaches to right behind the screen,

Has come a little loose. If you take apart the LCD by first removing it then taking the plastic bezel off then removing the LCD from the back bezel you should be able to reseat the cable and reassemble it. Pressto .. fixed ;)

I have done this on Dell laptops at it's not too hard if you've done it a few time. I am Dell certified and have seen this and done it WAY too many times.

good luck.

6. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Laptop + Liquid + Home Insurance :)

7. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Oh it goes away...? In that case it probably IS a loose connection

8. Dredog

Dredog What's a Dremel?

Thanks... i hope that's the problem... i will open it later today and let you know how it goes!

9. pr0xZen

pr0xZen What's a Dremel?

And... What happened? *bump*

10. Dredog

Dredog What's a Dremel?

Well, I tried to take the LCD off but i stripped one of the screws off because i didn't have the proper size screwdriver. So i'm going to have to super glue or epoxy the screwdriver to the the screw. I'll post pics :)