1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxtor SATA problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chadwick, 19 Dec 2004.

1. chadwick

chadwick What's a Dremel?

i have a 120gig Diamond Max 9 and cant seem to be able to find it on 'my computer' i can find it in the device manager but cant install it using Max Blast 3. It recognises it, but when i go ahead and ask it to install the drive it brings me up with an error saying how the only drive i have is the windows install drive and cant continue to install.

any ideas of how to help me? i have been through maxtors help section and it hasnt really helped me. It seems as if Maxblast 3 recognises the drive one second and then not the next

2. craig

craig What's a Dremel?

what os do you use, if its xp or 2000 can you see the drive in diskmanagement

3. chadwick

XP and no its not in disk management.

4. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

Do you have SATA enabled in your BIOS? My new Shuttle MOBO had SATA disabled by default. Also, check the SATA cable. I've found the one drawback to Serial ATA is that the cables don't lock in firmly like IDE cables do. If it's a little cock-eye'd in the socket, it won't always detect the drive (had this happen the other day after rearranging some cables. My boot drive's cable had been dislodged just enough for it to disappear from the system, but it looked like it was seated properly.)

5. chadwick

yeh its all connected up, like i said its detected in device manager and in the bootup just not in disk management

6. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

My goodness, i cant believe nobody has said SATA drivers before now!

Get the SATA drivers for the motherboard and install them. They usually come on a separate diskette, or a separate d/l

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Make sure Windows XP is up-to-date - you need service pack 1 at least to get more than 130GB of space.

8. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Yes, it's almost certainlly the drivers. If the HDD is Retail (not OEM), it should have come with a disk that contains the propper drivers, otherwise check the manufacturer's website.

9. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

I've never needed drivers for an actual hard disk, just the controller - these should come with the motherboard or pci card on a floppy/cd.

10. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

You're right, I wasn't thinking straight. The driver for the SATA controller should have come with the motherboard. I don't remember if the drives come with drivers... :worried: