1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

19" TFT buying advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lestat, 20 Dec 2004.

1. Lestat

Lestat What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Since its Xmas is round the corner, I decided to treat myself to a 19" TFT :hip: The only problem is that I haven't got the foggiest of which one to choose! :sigh:

I was originally going to choose the Iiyama E481S-B, but checking some reviews on PCPro :

MAC User review

PC Pro Review

Both say totally different things?! Macuser, says its basically crap image quality and loads of lag, whereas PCPro says its the dogs ******!?

Looking around some other shops, I noticed that Iiyama are bringing out another model : E485S-B which has a 20ms response time. So should I wait a little longer for this one to come out?

I just need a good TFT to do some surfing/watching DVDs/Doom 3/HL2/NFSU2 without any ghosting or lag. I know there are quite a few 19" with less than or around 16ms response times, but just wanted first hand experience on the make and model you guys use.

2. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I've been warned not to buy a 19", because the resolution isn't any greater than on a 17" screen. So you're not getting any more space on the screen, just more space on your desk.

3. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

I've got an LG 1915S. 12ms response, 1280 x 1024 resolution, respectable contrast and brightness, no dvi but it looks fine to me. Makes my CRT look blurry and nasty :D

It used to be available all over the place, but I can only find it at Scan now. Maybe you'll have more luck. Best of all is the price tag, it's well under £300.

Edit: in response to TekMonkeys concerns, it really depends what you like. My 19" CRT supports 1600 but I prefer to run it at 1280 anyway. Things look too small to me otherwise.

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

But why spend the money on a 19" if you could run it at the same resolution on a 17"? It's a waste of money IMO.

5. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

The screen is bigger, which is definitely more important for playing games and watching movies than resolution IMO. I wouldn't call it a waste of money, you're getting a bigger screen, obviously this isn't a benefit to everyone.

6. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

whats your budget, and whats your video card

cus theres no point in getting a monitor which has a native res of 1600x1200 if you have a crap graphics card which struggles like hell at that res.. also, its a waste to get a 19" w/ only 1280 x1024 res if you have a rather high end card...

id say 16ms response maximum.. so you wont have to worry about ghosting/lagging

7. Lestat

Lestat What's a Dremel?

Heya,

I've got a Asus 9800XT VIVO, According to Windows it can do 3200 X 1600, LOL widescreen which I don't think I can afford for the time being :p

Budget is around 400 quid, but there are loads going for about 350ish... The one that caught my eye was the IIyama 19" ProLite E485S-B for only £279? Its got 20ms response rate, the previous model E481S-B has 25ms, and apparently has no ghosting whatsoever?

Iiyama 19" Prolite E485S-B

Forgot.. the TFT can do 1280 x 1024 / 75mhz

I typically only do 1024 X 768 on my 17" Iiyama 413 monitor anyhow, just tried 1280 x 1024 on it, and everything looks sooooo small!! :( Hopefully the bigger screen size should make it viewable :) I'll need to pop down to Dixons/currys/PC World to see the screen res first hand anyhow.

Pah.. choices choices!! :(

8. tamffc

tamffc What's a Dremel?

ive got a viewsonic vx192. dvi input, 12 ms response time.highly recommended
    bought last week from "lowest on the web" all stock has sold out now,a great monitor for £360. as good as my old triniton crt.

9. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Friend of mine just bought a 19" Sharp and after seeing pics of it and from what he's said on it, I'm considering one myself :) . They look shiney too.

Personally though, Iiyama all the way :thumb: .

10. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Got a 2 year old iiyama 19.1" TFT myself and going back to a 17" really makes a difference. the extra few inches really makes it easier to view past 2 feet.

11. Lestat

Lestat What's a Dremel?

Sheesh 2 year old 19" IIyama?! What model is that?

12. Krashnicki

Krashnicki What's a Dremel?

I don't know what your budget is but I just bought a new apple 20inch display and it is awsome. The redesigned apple displays now come with a standard dvi connection so it can be used on a pc without an adaptor.

13. Lestat

Lestat What's a Dremel?

Heya mate,

My budget is only around 400 quid. Even though its an inch bigger, it'll prolly cost me another 200? considering its Apple brand as well, perhaps another 200 quid ontop? :duh:

How much did your Apple 20" TFT cost?

14. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

They cost, erm...£999

:worried:

<A88>

15. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you get a discount if you're a student though. apple displays, finally, have become worth owning. the old ones were godawful.

16. Lestat

Lestat What's a Dremel?

OMG!? Give me your address, and let me know when your family is out of the house :naughty:

Sheesh you could get nearly 3 19" TFTs for that price :-/

17. Lestat

Lestat What's a Dremel?

Even with a discount, unless they gave 60% off or something, its still way out of my budget! :(

18. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

It's the AS4637UT BK. It was a £650 upgrade on a sweet 19" sony CRT back in 2002. My wallet still hasn't recovered but my eyes are happy :)

19. Lestat

Lestat What's a Dremel?

I hear that Iiyama model that you've got is the only one available that does 1600 X whatever. I can't find that model anywhere on the net though :( discontinued :( Its odd that an older model can do those resolutions, whereas the new ones can't? :-/

20. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

I'm waiting for some reviews of the Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+. Quite pricy but then it only became available today and have only seen it at OCUK...