1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Gemstone (42" tall, Quad watercooled CPUs)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wmandra, 1 Nov 2004.

1. Groovedude

Groovedude Minimodder

wow nice, im liking this project log wahoo :rock:

2. Brubacker

Brubacker What's a Dremel?

wooow Amazing setup you've got there :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

The project looks darn cool ...
    are you going to build one front plate to cover the 3 cases ? or not ?

3. SeanMod

SeanMod What's a Dremel?

i just can repeat what everyone els sat. great work on that one. cant wait for the end. :rock: :rock: :rock:

--------------if something is wrong blame my teacher--------------

4. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

wow, thats just amazing. i've been looking at the mod and frankly, i don't have much to say. i finally decided to say i want to see leds or CCFLs, but thats the only thing, i want to see some lights. its amazing and i honor you for chosing the obviously superior AMD processor for you incredible box. i can't wait to see how this project turns out, cause its great! :D

5. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

I got them from www.cyberguys.com they have alot of neat stuff, and their LCD mounts were just what I was looking for.

I actually haven't decided whether or not I'm going to build one giant cover for all 3 cases yet.

Right now I'm just trying to get them all finished. The rest of the w/c parts will be here tommorow, so hopefully I'll be able to get eveything done between xmas and newyears. I mage the mistake of ordering the new saterblocks and pump directly from Swiftech, instead of one of their resellers, and it took almost 3 weeks for the parts to ship.

Thanks again for all the comments,
    Bill

6. McN

McN What's a Dremel?

i have one question about your room , how hot does it get , must be like 100º in there with all that stuff :p.
    and that is a really nice setup , expensive but sweet :p
    i think that it would look cool if you built a case that will hold all 3 cases in diamondplate or something that's chromed :p or with a really nice mirror finnish or maby some custom paintjob :)

7. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

The proposed front face plate wouldn't necessarily have to be anything really fancy. In this instance I personally feel that "less is more". The feature of this case(s) is the ginorm-o w/c system running through the whole system. You only need to tie the whole lot together to make one cohesive whole. Excessive flashiness whould just detract from tjhe w/c tank.

My suggestion would be something simple yet classy. Something like a brushed satin black pannel with a few discreet monitoring LEDs or even a small LCD.

Just my opinion if it's worth anything.

8. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could watertight seal the cases and construct something like those water tanks as seen in half life and half life 2?

You know those giant cylindric tanks which narrorws at the top to a pipe, and have water ciruculating inside?

Or you could even seal the inner parts off with clear acrylic. :rock:

Water cooled case for water cooled computers.

9. Bob 1234

Bob 1234 What's a Dremel?

This is awsome.
    I just waned to point out that your opterons are not funning your hyperx dual channled. If you look, the ram generally needs to go into slots 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 (they are color coded FYI). So, ya might wanna fid that :D .

Otherwise i's :thumb:

-Bob

10. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Depends On the mobo some mobos use same color for both channels(For 2 stick operation) while some use 2 colors for one for each channel

11. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

My mobo uses slots 1 & 2 for dual chan and 1 & 3 for single chan, but thanks anyway.

Bill

12. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

It looks pretty good. I really like the LCD mounting bars :)
    One thing keeps getting to me all the time though: In my humble opinion, it still looks a little too much as if there are 3 cases on top of each other. I know that's actually the way it is, but when it looks like 1 huge tower, it would look cooler. But hey, that's my opinion :) Mod on!

13. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

BONDO :D

Incidentally, if you have 4 250 Gb Hard drives set up as a 1 Tb array, you must be using raid 0. Have you thought about something like raid 5? Its more safe / better redundacy.

14. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

It's actually a RAID 5 array, so the total available size IS just short of 1TB, but I'm going to add a 5th 250GB drive to increse the available size of the volume for actual data. Currently the array is 750GB Data and 250GB Parity using an LSI Logic Megaraid controller (which has room for 4 more HDDs)

Bill

15. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: Now thats a file server if I ever saw one. I work in 13 offices and most of them dont even have a simple backup. And they deal with home loans or are real estate offices. Sad huh.

Cant wait to see another update. :rock: